Losing fish. Not sure what's going on.

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, we have a 300 gallon aquarium with 12 fish in it. Down from 16 and one of the 12 looks very unhealthy. Longer version: We recently acquired this tank. All the original batch of fish were put into a quarantine system while the 300 gallon tank was moved. During that quarantine time where the fish were in temporary housing we lost two fish. We hurried to get the tank set up and got everyone transferred into the new tank. At the same time, we decided to go ahead and get rid of a small tank that had two clownfish and a chromis in it and so we added them as well. Then we got ahead of ourselves and went out and bought a few new fish to add to the complicated scenario. Long story short, we don't know where the sickness came from, whether it was the original fish or something new we bought, but here we are, so, please help me by focusing on what we can do from this point forward as opposed to what we should have done. I know we should have done things differently...

We have the following fish that still appear healthy: Purple Tang, Lavender Tang, Orange Shoulder Tang, two firefish, a female anthias, a Watchman Goby, another type of Goby, opossom wrasse, long nose hawk, a midas blenny, and a flame hawk... We have a banana eel that hasn't eaten in a week, but that's not necessarily uncommon.

We lost some recent additions, which we failed to separately quarantine first. Since everyone was new to to the tank we just added everyone to the tank within a couple of weeks of each other. Well, apparently that was a bad idea. We have lost a male anthias, a blue star wrasse, a royal gramma, which were all very new additions. Then our male clownfish that we've had for 7 or 8 years died. Now the female clown that we've also had for 7 or 8 years is very sick looking. This is in addition to the two fish that died previous to us adding everyone to the newly set up system.

As far as tank parameters are concerned everything appears to be good enough to sustain life: pH: 8.2, Salt: 1.026, Temp: 77-78, Alk: 7.41, Ca: 403, Mg: 1308, Nitrates: 16 -- all measured with a combination of Hanna and Apex Trident.

What does this look like, and what should we do about this? We have corals that all seem fine so this is just affecting the fish as far as we know. Catching the fish to put them into a separate quarantine tank is going to be near impossible without tearing down the tank, so if we can do something to treat in place that would be ideal. We are working to get the clown out of the tank, however, because he definitely looks sick.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
0805211616.jpg

0805211616a.jpg

0805211616c.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be difficult/impossible to treat in situ. Looks like a protozoan infection. If the fish are breathing really fast, likely to be velvet. If the fish have sheets of mucus coming off their skin, it could be brooklynella. I don’t see the distinct white spots that would point to ich, but advanced cases won’t show discrete spots too well, and the pictures aren’t super clear.

The clowns getting sick before the tangs pushes me to think brooklynella.

The corals doing well allows me to rule out all manner of water quality issues. In the end, one of the new fish brought something in. Likely it was one of the first fish to die.

The only thing that might work is Ruby Reef Rally Pro, but my first choice would be to pull all the fish and medicate separately. I do need to add - with fish diseases, once fish loss has occurred it is often impossible to stop the problem before more losses happen.

Jay

OP
OP
R

reefdiver73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be difficult/impossible to treat in situ. Looks like a protozoan infection. If the fish are breathing really fast, likely to be velvet. If the fish have sheets of mucus coming off their skin, it could be brooklynella. I don’t see the distinct white spots that would point to ich, but advanced cases won’t show discrete spots too well, and the pictures aren’t super clear.

The clowns getting sick before the tangs pushes me to think brooklynella.

The corals doing well allows me to rule out all manner of water quality issues. In the end, one of the new fish brought something in. Likely it was one of the first fish to die.

The only thing that might work is Ruby Reef Rally Pro, but my first choice would be to pull all the fish and medicate separately. I do need to add - with fish diseases, once fish loss has occurred it is often impossible to stop the problem before more losses happen.

Jay
Thanks for the quick reply. We haven't seen either fast breathing or sheets of mucus but we can continue to watch for it as we work to resolve this. I agree that ideally we should isolate the fish -- there's just SO many hiding places and the tangs are super fast. Ugh.

As far as attempting to treat in place, we have inverts, anemones, corals, fish... Is the Ruby Reef Rally Pro (or anything else) safe for all of these?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. We haven't seen either fast breathing or sheets of mucus but we can continue to watch for it as we work to resolve this. I agree that ideally we should isolate the fish -- there's just SO many hiding places and the tangs are super fast. Ugh.

As far as attempting to treat in place, we have inverts, anemones, corals, fish... Is the Ruby Reef Rally Pro (or anything else) safe for all of these?
The manufacturer says it is. IMO - "reef safe" medications are all also "parasite safe" (grin). Ruby Reef contains acriflavine and formalin - both of those have a history of being used as anti-protozoal. Trouble is, they are normally used at higher doses, when invertebrates aren't present. At best, these *may* work in cases where the disease isn't very active and in which fish loss hasn't taken place yet.

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back