Losing SPS after months of growth and stability! Stray voltage maybe?

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, so my SPS have been browning out and suffering from stn for roughly 30 days now. My system is fairly new but stable (8 months). It is an upgrade from a previously established tank. All of my Fish, LPS, and Softies have been doing well. I test a ton of elements, but I couldn't put my finger on the culprit. I usually put gloves on when I am working in the tank. Today, I just happened to reach into my tank without gloves and received a quick shock. A couple of searches on youtube, references videos by Puff Daddy Reef and @melev, and I quickly got up to speed on stray voltage. I purchased a digital multimeter and tested my tank. I was receiving 40 volts of AC current flowing through my tank. My first inclination was to turn off the skimmer pump, which is a stock SCA skimmer. My voltage dropped from 40-2 volts. Could this be my issue? I know that only time will tell. My parameters are below per my weekly testing.

Water Volume: 75g
Salinity: 1.25
Temp: 76
DKH: 8.3
Cal: 430
Mag: 1340
PH: 8.15
PO: .04 PPM
NIT: 8 PPM

Has anyone else experiences issues with Stray Voltage in their tank? I also lost a Tang a couple of months ago from HLLE...

Thanks

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely this could be the problem! Your unfortunate shock may have been a gift in disguise. Yes I’ve dealt with stray voltage on many different tanks. Yes I’ve seen stray kill fish. Tangs seem particularly stressed. I’ve seen nems splitting like crazy and corals suffer not to mention my own suffering

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had stray voltage from a leaking powerhead. Killed my foxface. Went unnoticed for a long time. It also had amperage in the water which is really what kills.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you found your issue. Its time for a new skimmer pump or a new skimmer. I had a SCA 302 for a few year and it was a great skimmer for its cost, was $100ish when they came out. Things will start to recover once you get the voltage removed. Be sure to get a skimmer going again quickly. Your tank has found a balance or some kind by 8 months and the skimmer is part of that balance. Remember stability is key.

OP
OP
vaughnkingreefs

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you found your issue. Its time for a new skimmer pump or a new skimmer. I had a SCA 302 for a few year and it was a great skimmer for its cost, was $100ish when they came out. Things will start to recover once you get the voltage removed. Be sure to get a skimmer going again quickly. Your tank has found a balance or some kind by 8 months and the skimmer is part of that balance. Remember stability is key.
Very true. Do you have any skimmer recommendations?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, so my SPS have been browning out and suffering from stn for roughly 30 days now. My system is fairly new but stable (8 months). It is an upgrade from a previously established tank. All of my Fish, LPS, and Softies have been doing well. I test a ton of elements, but I couldn't put my finger on the culprit. I usually put gloves on when I am working in the tank. Today, I just happened to reach into my tank without gloves and received a quick shock. A couple of searches on youtube, references videos by Puff Daddy Reef and @melev, and I quickly got up to speed on stray voltage. I purchased a digital multimeter and tested my tank. I was receiving 40 volts of AC current flowing through my tank. My first inclination was to turn off the skimmer pump, which is a stock SCA skimmer. My voltage dropped from 40-2 volts. Could this be my issue? I know that only time will tell. My parameters are below per my weekly testing.

Water Volume: 75g
Salinity: 1.25
Temp: 76
DKH: 8.3
Cal: 430
Mag: 1340
PH: 8.15
PO: .04 PPM
NIT: 8 PPM

Has anyone else experiences issues with Stray Voltage in their tank? I also lost a Tang a couple of months ago from HLLE...

Thanks

Highly unlikely it's stray voltage, I've had this and worse in many tanks and corals were unfazed. That said, it's still a good idea to eliminate what's "leaking" electricity.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always suspect of three things when my sps start jumping ship and all params check ok. These are “silent” killers!
1- test TDS of RODI system;
2- Rust coming from magnets(powerheads), glass cleaners that are kept inside the tank, etc
3-Stray Voltage!

They leave us scratching our heads and kill our loved sticks one by one

OP
OP
vaughnkingreefs

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always suspect of three things when my sps start jumping ship and all params check ok. These are “silent” killers!
2- Rust coming from magnets(powerheads), glass cleaners that are kept inside the tank, etc
3-Stray Voltage!

Thanks for chiming in.
1. TDS is usually in the 0-2 range.
2. I have a frag rack and glass cleaner in the tank. I will be checking these as well. Thanks for the heads up.
3. Working on that now!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will still come down to a problem with that pump, but the voltage itself may not be the issue. It could be that something metal (possibly copper) is exposed in the pump and leaching into the water.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-Stray Voltage!

Conversely, I see all three of those as being common scapegoats for other problems. The magnet one I'm not too sure on, but I do know ferrous metals and rust won't usually cause much harm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I gather salt at 1.025
Whether you have stray voltage or not, always utilize a ground probe

OP
OP
vaughnkingreefs

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all, I also sent out an ICP test last week. I should have results later next week and that should give me more of an idea of what's going on in my tank. I am still taking the voltage issue seriously, whether it is the cause or not.

Thanks for all of the assistance and words of wisdom.

OP
OP
vaughnkingreefs

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP in today....High Zinc appears to be an issue. Iodine I can correct with Red Sea colors....Silica appears to be high...researching now.

ICP Test - 9-25-19.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. Do you have any skimmer recommendations?

For a 75G I think a Reef Octopus 110SSS internal would do nicely. If you are heavily stocked, the 150SSS would certainly get it done. I have one of each running now; my 110 is 6-7 years old. Clean the pump once/twice a year. They don't use much sump space.

OP
OP
vaughnkingreefs

vaughnkingreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pictures of my corals that are struggling. I mostly have frags in this system.

IMG_1289.JPG

Walt Disney STN from the base. The right side of the frag continues to grow. Lost color and PE.

IMG_5340.JPG

Satosa is stripping at the tips. Yes I do have aptasia and I don't believe that I have dinos. I believe that I have chrysophytes. I am not sure, but I have checked under my microscope and nothing registers as dinos. I beat dinos roughly 4 months ago and this is a little different. I am not counting out that it is another strain.

My LPS and softy pieces are doing well.

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back