Lost 2 fish

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby and fire fish have sadly passed with in the same hour, I have 2 clowns left, they were move to a 5 gallon bucket with heater and air stone filter.

Roughly 4 weeks ago all my fish came down with one of the following, ich, internal paricite, or internal bacteria infection. I was so helpless I treated with, metroplex, prazipro, and ich-x all treated in a bucket.

I knew ich needed a 6 week fishless period to be removed from the dt, I move my fish to a ten gallon tank because it was bigger that the bucket. the fish fish was getting builied and losing fins, I figured it wasn't going to make it and out it in the dt as a test. A week later he had all his fins back and was eating again.

I waited a few more days and put the other fish back in, that were all eating and doing much better before. Till Friday one clown had lethargic breathing again and lying on the sand bed. So I added metroplex in it's food. Not much changed till yesterday, a storm hit knocking out the power for 9 hours, I wrapped the tank in blankets keeping the temperature up, next was the water movement, I continuously agitated the water surface and pushed water around. It wasn't till 4:00 in the morning and the power came back on and I could go to bed.

As of today because I got hardly any sleep I slept in, I have been awake for a few hours and noticed the fire fish and goby both started acting weird. The fire fish would just scoot around the sand bed and breath heavy
bed, and the Goby would swim through the water trying to jump out of the tank and breath heavy. Well I definitely knew something was wrong I started doing much research, still no conclusion. I had tested my ammonia which was 0ppm, nitrates 5ppm, salinity 1.025, and pH 8.24.

Now currently feeling very guilty and upset for sleeping in, and have just moved my two remaining clowns into a bucket as said above. I have looked at both the bodies of the goby and firefish, there was nothing visibly wrong, the only thing I could tell that was in common was the heavy lethargic breathing before they both passed. This behavior is seen in the Clowns as well.

Sorry for the lengthy read, but I wanted to just provide what I could. If you need any more information just ask. And please help me out, thanks in advance,,,,, :(

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby and fire fish have sadly passed with in the same hour, I have 2 clowns left, they were move to a 5 gallon bucket with heater and air stone filter.

Roughly 4 weeks ago all my fish came down with one of the following, ich, internal paricite, or internal bacteria infection. I was so helpless I treated with, metroplex, prazipro, and ich-x all treated in a bucket.

I knew ich needed a 6 week fishless period to be removed from the dt, I move my fish to a ten gallon tank because it was bigger that the bucket. the fish fish was getting builied and losing fins, I figured it wasn't going to make it and out it in the dt as a test. A week later he had all his fins back and was eating again.

I waited a few more days and put the other fish back in, that were all eating and doing much better before. Till Friday one clown had lethargic breathing again and lying on the sand bed. So I added metroplex in it's food. Not much changed till yesterday, a storm hit knocking out the power for 9 hours, I wrapped the tank in blankets keeping the temperature up, next was the water movement, I continuously agitated the water surface and pushed water around. It wasn't till 4:00 in the morning and the power came back on and I could go to bed.

As of today because I got hardly any sleep I slept in, I have been awake for a few hours and noticed the fire fish and goby both started acting weird. The fire fish would just scoot around the sand bed and breath heavy
bed, and the Goby would swim through the water trying to jump out of the tank and breath heavy. Well I definitely knew something was wrong I started doing much research, still no conclusion. I had tested my ammonia which was 0ppm, nitrates 5ppm, salinity 1.025, and pH 8.24.

Now currently feeling very guilty and upset for sleeping in, and have just moved my two remaining clowns into a bucket as said above. I have looked at both the bodies of the goby and firefish, there was nothing visibly wrong, the only thing I could tell that was in common was the heavy lethargic breathing before they both passed. This behavior is seen in the Clowns as well.

Sorry for the lengthy read, but I wanted to just provide what I could. If you need any more information just ask. And please help me out, thanks in advance,,,,, :(

Sorry for your losses

Only recent symptoms were heavy breathing until death? This could be sign of either not enough oxygen in water or bacterial infection (you ruled out ammonia). Might want to get your hospital bucket going again for another 2+ weeks

If the fish were not in treatment long enough (either with you or from prior exposure), perhaps whatever is trying to become treatment resistant so treat longer

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses

Only recent symptoms were heavy breathing until death? This could be sign of either not enough oxygen in water or bacterial infection (you ruled out ammonia). Might want to get your hospital bucket going again for another 2+ weeks

If the fish were not in treatment long enough (either with you or from prior exposure), perhaps whatever is trying to become treatment resistant so treat longer
How exactly would I rule out oxygen? Assuming it would be low oxygen levels are my corals in danger? Also assume it's bacterial infections, I'll feed metroplex / focus food mix.

Something else I have forgotten to mention is my my RO/di water has a TDS of 3. Could my RO water be leaching anything?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly would I rule out oxygen? Assuming it would be low oxygen levels are my corals in danger? Also assume it's bacterial infections, I'll feed metroplex / focus food mix.

In the Fish Disease Forum sticky section, last post takes you to post that takes you to this link:

Add an extra airstone and see if things improve, to rule out oxygen (not likely if you have pumps, etc)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Something else I have forgotten to mention is my my RO/di water has a TDS of 3. Could my RO water be leaching anything?

You edited post regarding TDS 3. 3 is when I start thinking about changing cartridges, but you bring up something else... there are some contaminants that get thru normal RODI filters... perhaps reach to your local water supplier and see if/what they are dosing due to seasonal swings - perhaps that is related. They can provide you with a copy of water parameters for their system. Depending what you find from them, there are specialized cartridges that can be added (by expanding normal) RODI setup.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You edited post regarding TDS 3. 3 is when I start thinking about changing cartridges, but you bring up something else... there are some contaminants that get thru normal RODI filters... perhaps reach to your local water supplier and see if/what they are dosing due to seasonal swings - perhaps that is related. They can provide you with a copy of water parameters for their system. Depending what you find from them, there are specialized cartridges that can be added (by expanding normal) RODI setup.
I'll definitely look into it because there's no way to know for sure but, my tank has been running for over a year now. If it were due to seasonal dosing wouldn't I have encountered this before?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely look into it because there's no way to know for sure but, my tank has been running for over a year now. If it were due to seasonal dosing wouldn't I have encountered this before?

Maybe/maybe not - you'd have to be pulling water on a day/days when their dosing is high

@Paul B - Paul, what is it in your water from water company that caused your change? Can't find chemical name. Your water methodology is different, but that chemical others using RODI also having problems with and have learned there is filter for it for those using RODIs. You are a legend so I remember your name; sorry to bother you

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe/maybe not - you'd have to be pulling water on a day/days when their dosing is high

@Paul B - Paul, what is it in your water from water company that caused your change? Can't find chemical name. Your water methodology is different, but that chemical others using RODI also having problems with and have learned there is filter for it for those using RODIs. You are a legend so I remember your name; sorry to bother you

Doesn't look like my water is a problem,, last night there was a candle burning close to the tank. Do you think the sent from the candle could have got in the water? Thoughts?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like my water is a problem,, last night there was a candle burning close to the tank. Do you think the sent from the candle could have got in the water? Thoughts?

Oh dear and oh yes... search this site and/or internet and you'll find countless incidents where scented candles impact tank inhabitants and sometimes even lead to death. Aerosols are also huge concern. I spray glass cleaning rags in other room, then bring them into room where tank is located and no candles allowed

And I think the chemical in many water supplies is: chloramine

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dear and oh yes... search this site and/or internet and you'll find countless incidents where scented candles impact tank inhabitants and sometimes even lead to death. Aerosols are also huge concern. I spray glass cleaning rags in other room, then bring them into room where tank is located and no candles allowed

And I think the chemical in many water supplies is: chloramine
I also spray aerosols on a rag in another room but, I had no idea a scented candle would poison my fish. I'm going to continue looking, thanks for now.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm two clown are still in the bucket, I have yet to treat anything. Well as of now they are both breathing fine again and swimming around.

This easily tells me there is something in or wrong with the water. Trying to find out what is really tough. I'm going to proceed to do bunches of water changes and then add the fish back?

I mean my corals, (hammers, torchs, paly, Montis, acan, trachy) all seem to be doing alright. The hammers and torchs aren't out all the way but definitely not closed up either. IMO there's not really a way to tell when to re-add the fish, unless I wait for them to come out 100% again?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back