Lost 2 long term fish in the last week

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last week I’ve lost my copperband Saturday, and today I found the remnants of my blonde naso stuck to an Mp40. They were both in the tank for about a year and no fish or coral have been added for a few months. The copperband was weak and his tail and fins were frayed and I assumed someone was beating him up. The purple tang would chase him once in awhile but generally ignored him. I found him alive but stuck to the same power head, though alive. I placed him in an acclimation box but he didn’t survive. He may have been stuck to it all night.
The naso has seemed fine, in fact he was going at the nori yesterday morning with the other tangs and angels, but I just heard a clacking noise and it was the remnants of him, his bones and eyes, stuck to the power head.
The other fish all look fine. No spots or other visible issues, swimming fine and grazing or doing their normal routine. Any ideas?
All water parameters are normal. Just checked everything.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the last week I’ve lost my copperband Saturday, and today I found the remnants of my blonde naso stuck to an Mp40. They were both in the tank for about a year and no fish or coral have been added for a few months. The copperband was weak and his tail and fins were frayed and I assumed someone was beating him up. The purple tang would chase him once in awhile but generally ignored him. I found him alive but stuck to the same power head, though alive. I placed him in an acclimation box but he didn’t survive. He may have been stuck to it all night.
The naso has seemed fine, in fact he was going at the nori yesterday morning with the other tangs and angels, but I just heard a clacking noise and it was the remnants of him, his bones and eyes, stuck to the power head.
The other fish all look fine. No spots or other visible issues, swimming fine and grazing or doing their normal routine. Any ideas?
All water parameters are normal. Just checked everything.
Did you add any live rock recently?
Clacking noise is either powerhead or could be mantis shrimp
Other possibilities are flukes, velvet or water quality issue
Were fish when last seen breathing normal or labored?
Lthargic or unusual sudden behavior?
Eyes cludy or hazy?
hiding suddenly?

OP
OP
hoytoyed

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any live rock recently?
Clacking noise is either powerhead or could be mantis shrimp
Other possibilities are flukes, velvet or water quality issue
Were fish when last seen breathing normal or labored?
Lthargic or unusual sudden behavior?
Eyes cludy or hazy?
hiding suddenly?
The clacking noise was his bones in the power head. He looked fine yesterday, was attacking the nori with the rest of the herbivores. No cloudy eyes, no spots or lesions, no labored breathing. Water quality is unchanged. Nothing has been added in a couple of months, and it was just a couple of frags that were dipped as usual. And there was nothing left on the powerhead but bones and his eyes. Maybe the purple tang went rogue and killed him, but there had never been any aggression. The purple is about 5” and chunky, but the naso was about 4” and just as chunky. The only parameter change was my PH was running about 8.2 and I changed the media in the c02 scrubber and it’s 8.4 today.
When feeding this afternoon I noticed the purple seemed to be feeding a bit more frantically. Darting around really quickly from the bottom of the tank to the top. Maybe it’s just my imagination. He’s currently grazing on rock and algae on the back wall like normal.
My spotcinctus clowns have eggs but they always have eggs. They spawn every couple of weeks. They’re not overly aggressive about defending their eggs, though the male is with them almost constantly, and none of the fish mess with them.
It’s kind of a mystery.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The clacking noise was his bones in the power head. He looked fine yesterday, was attacking the nori with the rest of the herbivores. No cloudy eyes, no spots or lesions, no labored breathing. Water quality is unchanged. Nothing has been added in a couple of months, and it was just a couple of frags that were dipped as usual. And there was nothing left on the powerhead but bones and his eyes. Maybe the purple tang went rogue and killed him, but there had never been any aggression. The purple is about 5” and chunky, but the naso was about 4” and just as chunky. The only parameter change was my PH was running about 8.2 and I changed the media in the c02 scrubber and it’s 8.4 today.
When feeding this afternoon I noticed the purple seemed to be feeding a bit more frantically. Darting around really quickly from the bottom of the tank to the top. Maybe it’s just my imagination. He’s currently grazing on rock and algae on the back wall like normal.
My spotcinctus clowns have eggs but they always have eggs. They spawn every couple of weeks. They’re not overly aggressive about defending their eggs, though the male is with them almost constantly, and none of the fish mess with them.
It’s kind of a mystery.
Purple as well as clown and sohol tang can be quite nasty and tes possible

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
hoytoyed

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two fish losses may just be coincidental. Sounds like the CBB had preexisting issues. The tang is a mystery. In the video, The regal angel is acting strange, was it just the emperor intimidating it?
Jay
Probably,or he was admiring his own reflection. He’s swimming around grazing normally. The emporer has never shown the slightest aggression though the regal may defer to him naturally. The CBB was fine and was eating very well, and always had. I’d had him about a year. I noticed on Friday he ate, but without much gusto. He was usually the most excited to eat and would stick his snout out of the water to eat from the baster. I noticed the damage to his fins then. An hour or so later, I found him stuck to a power head. I freed him and he swam off. I watched him the rest of the night and he slept in his usual spot. On Saturday morning I found him stuck to the power head again. He was alive but couldn’t swim well so I placed him in the acclimation box. He died within an hour. In retrospect I should have placed him in the bud the night before. He may not have lived anyway, as he didn’t have the strength to escape, but I’m sure the time stuck to the power head accelerated the process.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back