Lost Everything To Ida - How to Protect Your Reef Investment?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1631728406614.png

It's in response to previous post which I quoted.

If you want to store gasoline powered equipment for months or years at a time and not run into issues with gummed up carburators/flooded motor, it is always better to just close the fuel valve and allow the engine to run out of fuel and come to a stop instead of simply pressing or switching engine kill/off switch.

Past weekend I pulled my Yamaha/CAT branded powerwasher which I havent used since 2019, started on second pull.....first pull I forgot to engage choke. The above mentioned method never failed me.

You can ignore the whole thing if you use your equipment on regular basis (daily/weekly)
THANKS _ I didnt see that - my generator is natural gas

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - how big is your tank? 3 liters of Kalk a day??????
Limewater is about 40x less concentrated than 2 part. It sound lime more than it is. I prefer a higher pH with Kalk.. I also use energy recovery ventillator in basement for fresh air and energy savings with an Ecobee.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the 22k liquid cooled generac...500 gal propane tank...runs at 1/2 the rpm of the air cooled version so uses much less gas...almost 10 grand for the unit and transfer switch and another 5 to install it...and about 700 to fill the tank..believe me this wasnt done solely for my tank....you can kill a lot of fish and coral and throw out a lot of food before you break even...

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get it started again before it cools off too much let me know and I will send you something good from my tank.
I am about to frag a few things and was wondering if you would be ready for a few corals soon. I would be happy to send you a couple.. I know it's unlikely, but just wanted to check.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am about to frag a few things and was wondering if you would be ready for a few corals soon. I would be happy to send you a couple.. I know it's unlikely, but just wanted to check.

That's so nice of you! Much respect.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generators are great until you can't find gas which happens in bad hurricane situations. So even if you get one, I would not rely on it always being a solution.
That's part of what swayed me to the Yamaha EF2000is. A gallon of gas lasts up to 8 hours, so I can keep the critical stuff running for a long time. Two gas cans can last a week, though I'd like to get a standby generator at my next house.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a battery inverter, enough to run lights, wave pump and return pump- but will invest in a generator as well.

As far as maintaining temps, I plan on filling a massive cooler with Ice and then place bags of ice in the tank to prevent temps from soaring too high.

I went through Irma shortly after moving to Florida, only had FW at the time, but a bubbler and a little Ice and they made it through just fine.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude or that guy but I’ve seen people have tanks with 1,000s of dollars worth of fish and coral lose it all to power outages. An extra $1000 generator laying around is such a life saver. I learned first hand after experiencing a 5 hr outage. Went to Lowe’s not only was I able to fully operate my tank my fridge was also powered.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if anyone has had success with insuring both fish AND coral that die. Seeing as how valuable an asset they can be, I would love to hear if anyone has a company they have worked with to recover from a financial loss such as this.
Most renters insurance and homeowners policies have options that cover contents of the residence. It helps if you document everything you want covered and send receipts and photos to your insurance company. You can talk to your agent about what is covered and potential additional coverage that may be available.

Most insurance companies will sell a rider for just about anything. I would throw an annual party at my shop and I would get a rider from my insurance in case someone fell or what ever, sue me for a bad time, burn the shop down, ect. For a few hundred bucks I had the insurance companies permission to throw a party.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most renters insurance and homeowners policies have options that cover contents of the residence. It helps if you document everything you want covered and send receipts and photos to your insurance company. You can talk to your agent about what is covered and potential additional coverage that may be available.

Most insurance companies will sell a rider for just about anything. I would throw an annual party at my shop and I would get a rider from my insurance in case someone fell or what ever, sue me for a bad time, burn the shop down, ect. For a few hundred bucks I had the insurance companies permission to throw a party.
Thats awesome!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is not really true. Most insurance companies do not sell policies that cover livestock - you need to go to a specialty company that has these. For example - after checking with 4 of the big insurance companies, my agent said 'All of them cover the tank and damage if it breaks, none of them cover the inhabitants'. here is a nice summary article. PS - many home policies do not even cover tanks or damage from tanks - or its limited (like sump pump coverage - can be limited to $5000) - if a tank causes 40K of damage - you have to pay 35,000. It's important to talk to your agent about your specific policy. https://fishkeepup.com/risky-truth-about-fish-tank-insurance-is-it-worth/

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also impacted by Ida. Lost power for a week.
My saving grace is my whole house stand by generator. Without it, i can imagine my tank would be a complete loss. Especially since I make sure my temps never fluctuate +- 1 degree all year.

A generator for anyone that can be in a path of a hurricane is essential imo.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back