Lost in Shipping. One tough Tahitian Hawk!

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted on another thread that I had ordered a Tahitian Yellow Hawkfish from DD. It shipped last Thursday for Friday AM delivery. When it didn’t show up we went to the local FedEx facility where it had last arrived and offered to pick it up.

Bad news was they had lost the box! In their own facilityIt was scanned in but never scanned out.

LA was also in touch with FedEx but no luck finding the box.

I didn’t hear anything over the weekend. Or on Monday. So I called LA to file a claim believing all was lost. And it was very upsetting that a live fish would be lost in FedEx’s own local transit station!

Well today FedEx showed up with the box. 5 days later. I didn’t even want to look but one of my employees said “I think it moved!”

We cut open the bag and floated in a QT. The hawk was upside down and just moving with the flow of the water. He looked dead and the water was cold.

I reached in and sure enough felt him barely move in my hand. So we started warming him up and acclamation him and put him in the QT.

A few hours later he found his way under a rock and looks like he is going to pull through. Tough little guy!

Was nice to have a good ending (hopefully) to a tragic shipping story. And I wondered how long fish can stay alive when lost in shipping. I really didn’t think he would survive 5 days!

Wonder how many similar stories out there.

07C7A2AA-1B7A-4D4F-8D08-0F0496D7AA63.jpeg
B2F4B3A1-1886-4B89-B31F-280A3DE7385A.jpeg

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowza! Please keep us posted on of it survives over the next couple weeks. May not be out of danger yet... best of luck on a beautiful fish.
Yeah I realize he’s not out of the woods yet. And his coloring is off. I have another one that is much brighter and has that bright blue around the eyes.

I am hoping to keep them both in my new 800g. But my other one keeps other fish inline 5X his size! And he can catch live feeder shrimp faster than my triggers! He’s one cool fish.

I have a few live shrimp left and put some in the tank with the new guy. He is by himself in a 40g and I’ll make sure he’s eating before putting him in the other QT he was supposed to go in.

They are such cool fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hawkfish is very nice - My LFS has in a 3-4” Tahitian, the amount of personality it has is shocking. It’s also a good replacement fish for the YT until they become more obtainable in price.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Glad he made it!

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely say your lucky, I've had two shipments now that FEDex has failed to deliver in the appropriate manner (Dec and beginning of Jan). One of 7 fish made it in the Dec fiasco and none of the Jan 7 fish package made it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back