Lost in the Wrasses! Rollercoaster of a Reef Build

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you figure it out don’t spill yet as I’m not done writing about him lol. You can hint as much as you want about it though lol
Oo, I think I just found it!
Is it a stripey species?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was just about to put the finishing touches on my article, when I said to myself “ahhhhhh you’re tired just finish it tomorrow.” Which is exactly what I did. The next afternoon I go to reef2reef and what did I forget to do last night? Save my progress on a file, which was exactly what I did NOT do….should’ve remembered this website doesn’t save all your words. So let’s just say the third portion of the article is gone. Now I got to write it all over again. Sorry this article taking a little longer than anticipated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been calling the LFS and they don’t seem to have any of each kind that interests me or that‘s the right price. Size is also playing a big role because I’m looking for 1 that’s about 10cm. Also I’ve noticed that some colors for the Mags vary slightly. So I’m being a bit picky.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been calling the LFS and they don’t seem to have any of each kind that interests me or that‘s the right price. Size is also playing a big role because I’m looking for 1 that’s about 10cm. Also I’ve noticed that some colors for the Mags vary slightly. So I’m being a bit picky.
Yeah, some mags have brighter colours in their pectoral fins than others and I have yet to find out the key to getting that vibrant yellow.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke when you got your Mag did it have more yellow coloration on its fins? Does it diminish or enhance as it gets older? I’ve seen on a few fish like Purple Tangs that their tail gets like a purple line on the very fringe. And some purple circles on their pectorals

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke when you got your Mag did it have more yellow coloration on its fins? Does it diminish or enhance as it gets older? I’ve seen on a few fish like Purple Tangs that their tail gets like a purple line on the very fringe. And some purple circles on their pectorals
As far as I know foxfaces all have the same coloration throughout their lives both male and female. (One reason you can't keep more than one is there is no sexual dimorphism and they form pairs so only bonded male-females work.) Mine's probably the biggest I've seen but shows the same yellow as younger ones I've seen at the LFS I think. Of course they can change color from yellow to white anyway so it's just really hard to say.
IMG_2349.jpeg

Mine's gone back to being really shy since I got rid of the triggers despite being my biggest (weight wise probably) and most venomous fish it really is a coward. I'm thinking of getting some new dither fish for it but I can't decide between a few fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @i cant think I wanted to ask what your article is about? (Let me take a guess……Wrasse?……….Cryptic kinds?)
My first few articles were about the gobies however I do now have about 3/4 on the wrasses.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know foxfaces all have the same coloration throughout their lives both male and female. (One reason you can't keep more than one is there is no sexual dimorphism and they form pairs so only bonded male-females work.) Mine's probably the biggest I've seen but shows the same yellow as younger ones I've seen at the LFS I think. Of course they can change color from yellow to white anyway so it's just really hard to say.
IMG_2349.jpeg

Mine's gone back to being really shy since I got rid of the triggers despite being my biggest (weight wise probably) and most venomous fish it really is a coward. I'm thinking of getting some new dither fish for it but I can't decide between a few fish.
You could try Purple Queen Anthias since they are one of the big species of Anthias and can prob hold their own better than a small kind. I would say Borbonius but they very expensive.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try Purple Queen Anthias since they are one of the big species of Anthias and can prob hold their own better than a small kind. I would say Borbonius but they very expensive.

Anthias worry me just because I hear they lose their color and need tons of feedings. I think I'll post my question on the fish advice thread if you two want to voice some opinions I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias worry me just because I hear they lose their color and need tons of feedings. I think I'll post my question on the fish advice thread if you two want to voice some opinions I'd appreciate it.
I’ll def chip in a bit…if I find the thread fast enough

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias only lose their colour if not given the correct diet from what I’ve seen. A lot of the fish that are popular over here are the Anthias so we see quite a few Pseudanthias and Borbonius species in the markets. Out of all the things I’ve seen the deeper water species are more likely to lose colour but with the perfect diet they’ll keep most of the colour.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Queens were my favourite anthias that came in when I was working in the LFS, that purple is so deep. A very close second were the Princess anthias though.

Unfortunately both species are known for being bad with eating and need to be fed 5+ times a day. So I passed them up but they went to a 6’ tank with some rare anthias species.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back