Lost in the Wrasses! Rollercoaster of a Reef Build

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand sifting star helped. Don’t know if it ate it but it got it off the sand. As you know I love my CJG and I’d suggest you get one once biota gets one back in stock. Mine pecks at rock more than sand. Don’t know if it helped the cyano but I did recover from cyano with one.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while going through @OrionN ’s thread I found some photos of his China Wrasse pair. God they are gorgeous. Being an anampses I’m being hesitant but I want to add them to the wrasse gang so badly lol. Got to be one of my favorite wrasse so far. That and the Harlequin Tusk which unfortunately I can’t add to my setup. One day though lol. I think https://www.reef2reef.com/members/daniel-r2r.25236/ is going to add one to his tank so I look forward to seeing a Harlequin Tusk frequently at least. If only they weren’t an anampses I’d be much more inclined. How can you not love them
1672274733139.jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mind at all. I agree with @i cant think regarding the iridis. Probably one.

I like the idea of a trio of negrosensis. I had a trio of meleagris that started as juveniles and there was some aggression early on until they established a pecking order.

The negrosensis isn’t a species I’ve kept so I’m not sure if the temperament of the negrosensis are different. Im not sure how easy it is to find an adult male, are you planning on starting with juveniles?

With your plan, an acclimation box is a must have in case you don’t already have one. A fish trap is useful in case you run into compatibility issues.

That’s a beautiful list!
Negrosensis is a very docile Leopard species. I have a friend who added two males together and they are fine with each other in a 300 gal tank. They are the smallest and most unique, and beautiful looking of the (cheaper, more common) Leopards. These guys get to about 3+ inches in my tank.

Female
BlackLeopardWrasse2019041801.jpg

Male
BlackLeopardWrasse2020051601.jpg

Nuptial male pictures
BlackLeopardWrasse2020030801.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2020041101Male.jpg

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke have you had any experience with Calloplesiops altivelis? I‘ve given some thought on them as well. They are all so cryptic but I think one would add too much bio load to my tank if I have that many wrasses. I know @danieyella has one. And hers looks really nice.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well according to @i cant think they are overrated. My LFS has a big beautiful one in their main display tank. It sits in the back under an overhang but is beautiful. Certainly cryptic in that tank. I was considering one for the FOWLR but told it would be too shy. Would also disappear in the black tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while going through @OrionN ’s thread I found some photos of his China Wrasse pair. God they are gorgeous. Being an anampses I’m being hesitant but I want to add them to the wrasse gang so badly lol. Got to be one of my favorite wrasse so far. That and the Harlequin Tusk which unfortunately I can’t add to my setup. One day though lol. I think https://www.reef2reef.com/members/daniel-r2r.25236/ is going to add one to his tank so I look forward to seeing a Harlequin Tusk frequently at least. If only they weren’t an anampses I’d be much more inclined. How can you not love them
1672274733139.jpeg
I had a pair of china (Freedom) Wrasse and they were phenomenally beautiful. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them to eat medicated food and internal parasites got to them first.

At least one, is on my short list.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. altivelis are nice fish but you see them in the evenings and nights. Very cryptic and a night hunter. They just hunt. I rarely see the take any frozen food. They are too deliberate and slow in their feeding habit.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well according to @i cant think they are overrated. My LFS has a big beautiful one in their main display tank. It sits in the back under an overhang but is beautiful. Certainly cryptic in that tank. I was considering one for the FOWLR but told it would be too shy. Would also disappear in the black tank.
I love mine, he definitely hid a ton when he was in the tank with the tangs but now that he's with a more chill crew he's a lot more front and center and active. Comes up and eats from my hands and everything - eats frozen and pellets and flakes with zero care

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1672274733139.jpeg
Neoguinaicus is one of the more beginner anampses from what I’ve seen with them. They still pose difficulty however if you get a thriving one from the start you’re on a smooth road generally.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the last post I make……………………………..this year :zany-face:

What did you think that I was leaving? Nope can’t get rid of me :grinning-squinting-face: Hope everyone has a happy end of the year, and tomorrow, I’ve got a nice surprise! What’s the surprise? SPOILER!:

It wouldn’t be a surprise if I said it now now would it ;)

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was SUPPOSED to write this post 5 days ago….well technically 4 days ago. I’m not the best with deadlines am I @Slocke lol.

So I’ve been pretty busy with the tank actually, and I’ve been going into overdrive, preparing for something. I’m going to travel to South America! I’m excited but now really stressed. A solid 3 weeks with me not being there with my fishies. So I’ve been try to get things under-control/automated/prepared. I’ve been cleaning everything rocks sand glass back panel sump, and now I need to run to either WWC or TSA to refresh all the cartridges and resin for my RODI, and get more salt. Then I am gonna do a 50% water change. Now the plan was to add two new fish additions but now I’m not so sure seeing as I won’t see them. Not the best idea to add some livestock see them for a day or two and then leave for a while right? I also seem to be winning my battle with the cyano ever since I upped the flow and changed the position of one of the power heads. I also moved some rocks around, yk to add some more real-estate for coral. I wanted to take some pictures to have the first FTS of the year but the tank looks like crap right now. I also have been having problems with the AI prime I have. It keeps disconnecting every 30 minutes.:rolleyes: Really looking forward to that Radion replacment. And my wrasse wish list is getting longer as @SaltyT helped me just now with a fish I like……man I need a bigger tank lol.

So I said I had a surprise. I got two actually. #1: Because my parameters are getting in check, once I come back from the trip I’ll be adding coral! Finally! Deciding wether I get a Toadstool, a Duncan, or a Frogspawn. Which do you think best for first coral? #2: I’m getting a special fish to add to the tank! A Red Sea Misbar Regal Angelfish! Treating myself :D

So since I’ll be getting a Regal, and @i cant think just got one, @Slocke …..where are you?;):grinning-squinting-face:

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Where are you traveling to in South America?

A good rule to follow is don't make any tank changes before leaving on a trip. Water change is good, making sure equipment is in good working order is good, but don't add any livestock. Bad juju

I vote toadstool! They're just cool.

Can't wait to see the awesome Regal in your tank when you get back!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Have fun! I very much want to go to South America but haven’t yet!

I’m glad you’re getting over your cyano and excited to see you get some corals! I’d also vote toadstool. Frogspawn are one of my favorite but I’d say a toadstool is a better starter.

As for your last question I’m visiting the LFS tomorrow and inquiring. I’m still considering biota but we’ll see what offer my LFS quotes me. I also have to build my sump so who knows how long it will be.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Where are you traveling to in South America?

A good rule to follow is don't make any tank changes before leaving on a trip. Water change is good, making sure equipment is in good working order is good, but don't add any livestock. Bad juju

I vote toadstool! They're just cool.

Can't wait to see the awesome Regal in your tank when you get back!
The Center left side of the country. Rainforest and Mountain terrain.

Thx. I won’t be adding anything new then.

Toadstool has 2 votes now! No love for the Duncan lol. Thx! He or she will add a lot more color to the tank with all those markings!

Back