Lost in the Wrasses! Rollercoaster of a Reef Build

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was this? He is so cute! I see the boy is happy with the doggie!
Few years back. I was teaching and running HIV/AIDs seminars for PEPFAR (presidents emergency plan for AIDS relief). Luckily I got to pivot away from HIV and into animal conservation where I worked with some of the coolest animals in the world! Mostly just organizing camps so that kids out deep in the bush could come to conservation centers and learn about the animals they live alongside.
Then the pandemic happened and that plus visa issues meant I came back here but I got Dhingo home. (kittens aren't mine just fosters)

Attachments

• 77597dc8-60a8-4077-8346-e86634a286b5.jpeg
    77597dc8-60a8-4077-8346-e86634a286b5.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4608.jpeg
    IMG_4608.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few years back. I was teaching and running HIV/AIDs seminars for PEPFAR (presidents emergency plan for AIDS relief). Luckily I got to pivot away from HIV and into animal conservation where I worked with some of the coolest animals in the world! Mostly just organizing camps so that kids out deep in the bush could come to conservation centers and learn about the animals they live alongside.
Then the pandemic happened and that plus visa issues meant I came back here but I got Dhingo home. (kittens aren't mine just fosters)
I’m sure that experience is something you never will forget. Did the Cheetah cubs have names?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure that experience is something you never will forget. Did the Cheetah cubs have names?
Yep!
Shy, Teja, and PC (problem child). My old profile pic was of Jaya.

Attachments

• 45A10D70-1ABD-4240-84AD-51AA9BED3712.jpeg
    45A10D70-1ABD-4240-84AD-51AA9BED3712.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 26

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Here’s a 15 Y/O Siganus magnificus. He’s around 6 inches so this species really doesn’t get giant in captivity unlike the Lo.
C97403B8-2470-480A-82BA-3AE58199D944.jpeg

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a 15 Y/O Siganus magnificus. He’s around 6 inches so this species really doesn’t get giant in captivity unlike the Lo.
C97403B8-2470-480A-82BA-3AE58199D944.jpeg
Why you gotta do me like that man. Mag is winning by 76% lol

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep!
Shy, Teja, and PC (problem child). My old profile pic was of Jaya.
That’s how I could remember who you were before by looking at the cheetah pic

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2350.jpeg

My favorite thing about the mag is the red dorsal fins.
Your guy shows that red so much better than mine does! This is a big reason I love the magnificent is due to that vibrant red dorsal.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just came across this fish the Hooded Flame Fairy Wrasse and all the ones I find have the same name but different markings. Is it because they are from different waters? First time I heard about this fish. All pics are of males. (Does the first pic look a little overly saturated?)
1670216504535.png

1670216538517.png

1670216611923.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just came across this fish the Hooded Flame Fairy Wrasse and all the ones I find have the same name but different markings. Is it because they are from different waters? First time I heard about this fish. All pics are of males. (Does the first pic look a little overly saturated?)
1670216504535.png

1670216538517.png

1670216611923.png
I believe there are three species that go under the name ‘hooded flame fairy wrasse’ one is the Nahackyi which is the more common species, the Bathyphilus which is slightly more common but still not overly common and finally you have the newest discovered species that goes under this name, Cirrhilabrus efatensis. The most common one you’ll find is Cirrhilabrus nahackyi, then you’ll likely find Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus and finally Efatensis I believe is the rarest one that goes under this name. I cant remember exactly what differentiates the three.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there are three species that go under the name ‘hooded flame fairy wrasse’ one is the Nahackyi which is the more common species, the Bathyphilus which is slightly more common but still not overly common and finally you have the newest discovered species that goes under this name, Cirrhilabrus efatensis. The most common one you’ll find is Cirrhilabrus nahackyi, then you’ll likely find Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus and finally Efatensis I believe is the rarest one that goes under this name. I cant remember exactly what differentiates the three.
So I’m looking at a couple of ReefBuilders sites about them and this is what I can conclude.

The cirrhilabrus cf. bathyphilus which is the first photo and the last photo, and the bathyphilus clade, the second photo, contains two members, one of which is very localized and endemic to a single island in Vanuatu (Éfaté Island); although it’s very likely it extends further north. This one is the first and third photo. It is currently known as Cirrhilabrus cf. bathyphilus. The type species, C. bathyphilus, or Clade, enjoys a larger range, spanning the Coral Sea and eastwards to Tanna Island of Vanuatu, and that one includes the second image and its variants. The two forms are mutually exclusive and do not overlap and are separated by only 141 miles of ocean between them. This presents one of the most unusual allopatric distributions of all the Cirrhilabrus species, in which two highly distinct phenotypes occur in such a narrow zone of separation within a single island chain. What forces might exist to act as a barrier between the two islands remains unclear, but it’s apparent for now that the two forms do not mix. The two phenotypes are very similar but can be differentiated based on the body coloration. Then the cirrhilabrus bathyphilus, being the regular one, or simply the “common” looks like some nahackyi variations and has multiple variations. The variations for the ”common” bathyphilus are considered by some to be “false” nahackyi. Then there is the true nahackyi which is the final bathyphilus group. Some of the common cirrhilabrus bathyphilus “false“ nahackyi‘s look like the variants of the true nahackyi but live in different waters. At the LFS, some and many of the bathyphilus group are confused and listed incorrectly, so it is up to us to figure out if the one at the LFS is the type we are looking for. Don’t always be put off by price as you never know if the cheap one or the expensive one may be the one you are looking for. Here are some pictures of the regular bathyphilus and the nahackyi with some variations.
1670256790147.jpeg

cirrhilabrus bathyphilus (common)
1670257123749.jpeg

cirrhilabrus bathyphilus (common) variant
1670257181016.png

false nahackyi (cirrhilabrus bathyphilus variant)
1670258602327.jpeg

(True) Nahackyi
1670258652100.jpeg

(True) Nahackyi

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a good photo of my Magnificus ;)
DE2CBAF7-9B6A-4D8E-B1CD-FFF19E41119D.jpeg

So I’m looking at a couple of ReefBuilders sites about them and this is what I can conclude.

The cirrhilabrus cf. bathyphilus which is the first photo and the last photo, and the bathyphilus clade, the second photo, contains two members, one of which is very localized and endemic to a single island in Vanuatu (Éfaté Island); although it’s very likely it extends further north. This one is the first and third photo. It is currently known as Cirrhilabrus cf. bathyphilus. The type species, C. bathyphilus, or Clade, enjoys a larger range, spanning the Coral Sea and eastwards to Tanna Island of Vanuatu, and that one includes the second image and its variants. The two forms are mutually exclusive and do not overlap and are separated by only 141 miles of ocean between them. This presents one of the most unusual allopatric distributions of all the Cirrhilabrus species, in which two highly distinct phenotypes occur in such a narrow zone of separation within a single island chain. What forces might exist to act as a barrier between the two islands remains unclear, but it’s apparent for now that the two forms do not mix. The two phenotypes are very similar but can be differentiated based on the body coloration. Then the cirrhilabrus bathyphilus, being the regular one, or simply the “common” looks like some nahackyi variations and has multiple variations. The variations for the ”common” bathyphilus are considered by some to be “false” nahackyi. Then there is the true nahackyi which is the final bathyphilus group. Some of the common cirrhilabrus bathyphilus “false“ nahackyi‘s look like the variants of the true nahackyi but live in different waters. At the LFS, some and many of the bathyphilus group are confused and listed incorrectly, so it is up to us to figure out if the one at the LFS is the type we are looking for. Don’t always be put off by price as you never know if the cheap one or the expensive one may be the one you are looking for. Here are some pictures of the regular bathyphilus and the nahackyi with some variations.
1670256790147.jpeg

cirrhilabrus bathyphilus (common)
1670257123749.jpeg

cirrhilabrus bathyphilus (common) variant
1670257181016.png

false nahackyi (cirrhilabrus bathyphilus variant)
1670258602327.jpeg

(True) Nahackyi
1670258652100.jpeg

(True) Nahackyi
That is an interesting read, it’s a shame it doesn’t really cover Cirrhilabrus efatensis which is also very similar to both of these species.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a good photo of my Magnificus ;)
DE2CBAF7-9B6A-4D8E-B1CD-FFF19E41119D.jpeg
Right about now I would say the Mag is winning 89% but last night I saw a HUGE Lo and the way the colors from the LED bounced off of it made look like a glowing pumpkin lol. It’s making it dang impossible for me to decide.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right about now I would say the Mag is winning 89% but last night I saw a HUGE Lo and the way the colors from the LED bounced off of it made look like a glowing pumpkin lol. It’s making it dang impossible for me to decide.
You know how to fix that right?

Upgrade time! Then you don’t have to pick one and instead grab both :)

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know how to fix that right?

Upgrade time! Then you don’t have to pick one and instead grab both :)
Yk that’s already in the works. I do though want to see how this tank ends up looking after my coral plans so I do want to wait a little. If I upgrade though idk if it would be big enough for 2 of them as it would only be round about 200gs. But my dream tank will definitely be big enough for 2 so don’t you worry :)

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an interesting read, it’s a shame it doesn’t really cover Cirrhilabrus efatensis which is also very similar to both of these species.
It seems that the efatensis was ruled out to be just a variant of the cirrhilabrus cf. bathyphilus. But earlier in the article it said that still needed to be further evaluated.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 140 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.3%
Back