Lost in the Wrasses! Rollercoaster of a Reef Build

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good. I look for usp / food grade.
Not a person to look at pics and make a call but sure I see something alarming. Maybe little stress from temps dropping?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Crabby48 with not being able to tell anything in the pic. How are the other fish acting?

Are you going to be around for another 7 or 8 days? If not, can someone dose prazi again for you? One dose of prazi will not take care of any fluke eggs that maybe in your tank if you're dealing with flukes.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good. I look for usp / food grade.
Not a person to look at pics and make a call but sure I see something alarming. Maybe little stress from temps dropping?
Probably the stress was the Cherry On Top for the flukes to come out.

I‘ll try a food grade one but if not I‘ll do this one. Just wanted to make sure nothing bad was in it that could kill the fish in a matter of seconds.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes in eye is more cloudy whiteish
The eye is cloudy white. Especially on the right side which I haven’t gotten a pic of. What I meant was that the coloring around the eye got darker for some reason.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Crabby48 with not being able to tell anything in the pic. How are the other fish acting?

Are you going to be around for another 7 or 8 days? If not, can someone dose prazi again for you? One dose of prazi will not take care of any fluke eggs that maybe in your tank if you're dealing with flukes.
All the other fish are great. The clowns are fine, no visible signs of illness, and the blenny is out and swimming about like normal.

I will be leaving on Sunday early morning. Yes I have some people that can do it for me. Just a little skeptical to have someone else do it. If they did do it wouldn’t they need to do a water change as well after that?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Mine all said usp only I think. It Won’t get flukes deep but will get the ones on outer layers. Seems to work pretty good. May want to do a quick search to make sure angels are ok in it but far as I know most or all are

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the other fish are great. The clowns are fine, no visible signs of illness, and the blenny is out and swimming about like normal.

I will be leaving on Sunday early morning. Yes I have some people that can do it for me. Just a little skeptical to have someone else do it. If they did do it wouldn’t they need to do a water change as well after that?
No WC is needed between prazi doses. It degrades within 72hrs... or faster if you've dosed it in that tank before. There's a bacteria in our tanks that will consume it so with every dose its efficacy is reduced.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything to be alarmed about in the picture. I’m not there to watch behavior so it’s hard. Prazi isn’t too bad to treat with and see how it reacts. Watch moving and dipping to much it only creates more stress and in return it works against you

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwd is stressful on fish. Being more pale after exiting the dip is to be expected.

In the one picture you've provided, I see nothing to support the idea of crypto or Marine Velvet.

Respiration check would probably be the easiest way to eliminate velvet, but you've just stressed the fish out so it's not going to be breathing normally.

Can you take a minute long video under white lights, Post it through YouTube.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, January 11, 2023, I lost a very special fish, my Phantom Velvet hybrid. I never really like to name my fish, but because this fish has been my favorite fish I have ever kept, and had a personality like no other, I decided to give this fish a suitable name IMO. Kiraly (pronounced Keer-uh-li). This means King in Hungarian. The reason I named him this is because he was a king in the tank. Treated and acted. But a nice king not a bad one lol. I think the cause for him to deteriorate was a bacterial infection, not flukes, and not my over reaction of ich/velvet. What claimed his life was not being able to breathe. I have only myself to blame really for his passing. I feel terribly gutted. I had big plans for this fish. He was the center piece. If only I could’ve done more for him. The family of 4 is now down to 3
1673456030628.jpeg

I measured him at roughly 4” (Yes I have small hands lol). Such a nice fish and I wish he were still here. The first fish I would see when I saw the tank. Would follow me around, was trained to eat from hand. His favorite food was Mussel meat. I really miss you buddy. Thankfully he passed while I was still here and not gone in the trip. I don’t think I will replace him, as no other fish can. When one door closes another opens. Now with his death I am now able to get another Angelfish, I just wish this window hadn’t opened the way it did. I know @i cant think and @Slocke really liked this fish, and I hope that they both enjoy this picture. Thank you to @Crabby48 @SaltyT and @Lost in the Sauce for helping me with him. I really appreciate you guys helping me as you could. Here is one last look at him, and I think the best picture I have taken of him.
1673456778080.png

Thank you buddy for being my best fish. RIP buddy
1673457266753.gif

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry. It really was a great fish but things like this happen. Hope you don't let yourself get too down about this. I happens in this hobby and I've certainly lost fish in a similar way. I kept up with this thread yesterday and I think you did the best you could.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, January 11, 2023, I lost a very special fish, my Phantom Velvet hybrid. I never really like to name my fish, but because this fish has been my favorite fish I have ever kept, and had a personality like no other, I decided to give this fish a suitable name IMO. Kiraly (pronounced Keer-uh-li). This means King in Hungarian. The reason I named him this is because he was a king in the tank. Treated and acted. But a nice king not a bad one lol. I think the cause for him to deteriorate was a bacterial infection, not flukes, and not my over reaction of ich/velvet. What claimed his life was not being able to breathe. I have only myself to blame really for his passing. I feel terribly gutted. I had big plans for this fish. He was the center piece. If only I could’ve done more for him. The family of 4 is now down to 3
1673456030628.jpeg

I measured him at roughly 4” (Yes I have small hands lol). Such a nice fish and I wish he were still here. The first fish I would see when I saw the tank. Would follow me around, was trained to eat from hand. His favorite food was Mussel meat. I really miss you buddy. Thankfully he passed while I was still here and not gone in the trip. I don’t think I will replace him, as no other fish can. When one door closes another opens. Now with his death I am now able to get another Angelfish, I just wish this window hadn’t opened the way it did. I know @i cant think and @Slocke really liked this fish, and I hope that they both enjoy this picture. Thank you to @Crabby48 @SaltyT and @Lost in the Sauce for helping me with him. I really appreciate you guys helping me as you could. Here is one last look at him, and I think the best picture I have taken of him.
1673456778080.png

Thank you buddy for being my best fish. RIP buddy
1673457266753.gif
Incredibly sorry for your loss - this wasn’t just any fish to you, it was a rare and personable fish!

A lot of the time, these things aren’t your fault. I know you feel like it’s your own fault for it but reality is it’s just something to do with the fish. In this case I will say it seems like it was that way (I only just noticed the replies about him going downhill).
In a way, you atleast see the positives. I know it’s bad but it’s worse to dwell on it IME.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the final preparations for the trip are done. 50% water change, fill the ato, clean the skimmer, and clean the substrate was the last I needed to do. Gravity is reading 1.024. Guess now all I can and need to do is hop on the plane lol. My blenny decided to not to show up today. No idea where he is, though I’m not too worried. I also changed the rock scape so it’s more open and flow can traverse better. Hope this month goes smoothly. See you guys in a month! At least here in my thread lol I can’t leave R2R alone for a day lol. Once I come back there will be new fish additions and coral additions, first coral being a ****** :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Well I can’t tell you right now now can I?;) Now that I have no angelfish any recommendations? Regal is already on the table don’t worry @i cant think :face-with-tears-of-joy: I think this month will pass pretty quick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a great trip!
Thx Salty! I don’t want to leave my little kids lol but hey you got to get some time for yourself away from them right? :grinning-squinting-face:

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the final preparations for the trip are done. 50% water change, fill the ato, clean the skimmer, and clean the substrate was the last I needed to do. Gravity is reading 1.024. Guess now all I can and need to do is hop on the plane lol. My blenny decided to not to show up today. No idea where he is, though I’m not too worried. I also changed the rock scape so it’s more open and flow can traverse better. Hope this month goes smoothly. See you guys in a month! At least here in my thread lol I can’t leave R2R alone for a day lol. Once I come back there will be new fish additions and coral additions, first coral being a ****** :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Well I can’t tell you right now now can I?;) Now that I have no angelfish any recommendations? Regal is already on the table don’t worry @i cant think :face-with-tears-of-joy: I think this month will pass pretty quick.
Enjoy!
Strangely I'll be in your neck of the woods while you're gone.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy!
Strangely I'll be in your neck of the woods while you're gone.
Pls enlighten me lol. Is this the trip you said about visiting sunny FL?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back