Lost in the Wrasses! Rollercoaster of a Reef Build

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so annoyed by the tamarins. The yellowtail is pretty but has nothing on the red tail. Chrysocephalus is so
Much prettier. Feminus is also pretty but Alex going with meleagrides and winning is crazy.

Does beg the question though (@i cant think too) what wrasse would you enter as the most beautiful in a public contest?
I love C gaimard obviously but M geoffoyri, P cyaneus, and of course A chrysocephalus may inspire the masses more.

As for best schooling fish or chromis vs Benggai…….. I don’t like either. Chromis are so boring in looks and cardinals are just boring. Any anthia would have won that.
Hm…
I wouldn’t be able to choose just one wrasse, I would have to do Atleast 2 from each common genus in the hobby :)

So, for Cirrhilabrus I would do;
C. shutmani (I would die for one of these and definitely on the list of wrasses I’m considering)
C. lubbocki

For Halichoeres I’d go for;
H. iridis
H. leucoxanthus

For Macropharyngodon I’d do;
M. choati (another dream wrasse of mine)
M. negrosensis

For Anampses I would have to do;
A. chrysocephalus
A. neoguinciais

Both of these are dream wrasses of mine!

For Pseudojuloides I’d go for;
P. atavai (duh, my love for this wrasse is incredibly close to the ataenia)
P. zeus (this guy looks like the easier Femininus honestly)

And finally, I’ll merge the 4 ‘nano’ wrasses into one for this;
W. tanakai (that maroon red is unbeatable, and I am hunting a pair of these too)
P. ataenia (Obviously!).

If I had to narrow it down to simply 2 I would do Pseudojuloides zeus and Pseudocheilinops ataenia

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm…
I wouldn’t be able to choose just one wrasse, I would have to do Atleast 2 from each common genus in the hobby :)
C. shutmani - would certainly stand out in any tank!
C. lubbocki - one of those wrasses that is sometimes boring and others spectacular

H. iridis - obviously though I don't think halichoeres could beat the other genera
H. leucoxanthus - See above

M. choati - not sure if I love or hate its pattern but I was definitely to harsh on it earlier
M. negrosensis - et tu brutus

A. chrysocephalus - duh! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
A. neoguinciais - I've seen these for sale online and have been tempted just don't know if its worth the risk or where I'd put it.

P. atavai - Male or female? I totally agree though. Both sexes are incredible!
P. zeus - I can't find good photos. It looks a lot less vibrant then feminus in google photos.

W. tanakai - If I do a nano might be the priority. It is incredibly maroon!
P. ataenia (Obviously!). - Obviously!

No paracheilinus?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. shutmani - would certainly stand out in any tank!
C. lubbocki - one of those wrasses that is sometimes boring and others spectacular

H. iridis - obviously though I don't think halichoeres could beat the other genera
H. leucoxanthus - See above

M. choati - not sure if I love or hate its pattern but I was definitely to harsh on it earlier
M. negrosensis - et tu brutus

A. chrysocephalus - duh! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
A. neoguinciais - I've seen these for sale online and have been tempted just don't know if its worth the risk or where I'd put it.

P. atavai - Male or female? I totally agree though. Both sexes are incredible!
P. zeus - I can't find good photos. It looks a lot less vibrant then feminus in google photos.

W. tanakai - If I do a nano might be the priority. It is incredibly maroon!
P. ataenia (Obviously!). - Obviously!

No paracheilinus?
I actually forgot about that genus haha!
For Paracheilinus I’d have to choose Cyaneus and Rubricaudalis.

And the Atavai id prettiest as a female but as you say, Pseudojuloides is one case where both sexes are stunning! As for Zeus, here’s a photo that shows off it’s beauty.
1D6983A5-68DB-4A3A-ABBC-8A1E3F6BE4C6.jpeg

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so annoyed by the tamarins. The yellowtail is pretty but has nothing on the red tail. Chrysocephalus is so much prettier. Feminus is also pretty but Alex going with meleagrides and winning is crazy.

Does beg the question though (@i cant think too) what wrasse would you enter as the most beautiful in a public contest?
I love C gaimard obviously but wrasse like M geoffoyri, P cyaneus, and of course A chrysocephalus may inspire the masses more.

As for best schooling fish or chromis vs Benggai…….. I don’t like either. Chromis are so boring in looks and cardinals are just boring. Any anthia would have won that.
Honestly I didn’t like the two choices either. Out of all the wrasses out there, they both chose those :face-with-raised-eyebrow:? Even Ryan mentioned the Lennardi which IMO is better than both but cmon.

I‘d of gone for Cirrhilabrus johnsoni as my number one wrasse. Second choice, which I did agree with Alex would be the Harlequin Tusk. I like most wrasse as well, hell I’ve got a full list of them lol including Halichoeres, and while I like the Yellow’s, why would Alex pick such a boring wrasse :confused: There are so many other wrasse out there. (Guess I’m just here ranting about me not liking what happened :grinning-face-with-sweat:)

I didn’t know wether they were going to go by wrasse types or not. It was spots vs lines at the end of the day. And somehow spots won? Ryan even said a Gem Tang or even a Marine Betta would have the same exact coloring, and in much hardier fish.

I do not like any cardinal. They are so boring lol. Personally I don’t mind Blue/Green Chromis, but yea I agree with you and Ryan any Anthias type would have sufficed.

Still haven’t finished the stream lol.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny still MIA :confused: @blaxsun @i cant think how long do you guys think a Midas Blenny can disappear for? It’s been almost 3 weeks.
They can be hiding in plain sight, i would look for an eye over something bright yellow as you may have a blue midas that is always there just not 100% visible.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I passed up a pair of johnsoni a while ago… They look nice in photos buttt, without seeing a nice sized, displaying male they aren’t all that pretty.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I passed up a pair of johnsoni a while ago… They look nice in photos buttt, without seeing a nice sized, displaying male they aren’t all that pretty.
My male is incredibly vivid whether he's displaying or not. You sure it was Johnsoni??

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male is incredibly vivid whether he's displaying or not. You sure it was Johnsoni??
Definitely sure!
At first the price tag said nothing as the pair wasn’t even in there… Then arose a male. It was the exact opposite to photos you see! It was coloured down, and honestly looked like the poor man’s jordani. Obviously, it wasn’t a jordani as this was only a year ago at this point.
Then after the male, another male occurred. That so called Pair they had was one Terminal male and a Transitioning male. Neither looked even close to photos of yours, they were both full and now that species is at the bottom of my wish list (They should be happy they’re even on it haha).

I’d certainly take a Shutmani over a Johnsoni anyday.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely sure!
At first the price tag said nothing as the pair wasn’t even in there… Then arose a male. It was the exact opposite to photos you see! It was coloured down, and honestly looked like the poor man’s jordani. Obviously, it wasn’t a jordani as this was only a year ago at this point.
Then after the male, another male occurred. That so called Pair they had was one Terminal male and a Transitioning male. Neither looked even close to photos of yours, they were both full and now that species is at the bottom of my wish list (They should be happy they’re even on it haha).

I’d certainly take a Shutmani over a Johnsoni anyday.
Sometimes I wonder about you :thinking-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have weird tastes haha, but hey male shutmani’s are gorgeous. If I could have a Cirrhilabrus in my nano I’d make a shutmani the true display :)

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree :squinting-face-with-tongue: I mean JUST LOOK AT THIS!
1675299583771.png

All jokes aside I can see your side Aaron. I also agree that you have a weird taste in fish lol but I expected that sentence to come from someone else on here lol. Now who could that be ;)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree :squinting-face-with-tongue: I mean JUST LOOK AT THIS!
1675299583771.png

All jokes aside I can see your side Aaron. I also agree that you have a weird taste in fish lol but I expected that sentence to come from someone else on here lol. Now who could that be ;)
It's still available on RP for $499. Since it's a male of unknown age maybe they will sell you a life insurance policy for it.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a male of unknown age maybe they will sell you a life insurance policy for it.
If the world worked that way @fishguy242 would be able to buy and drink so much Dr. Pepper without hurting himself. Hurting the stomach any way. ;):p

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If the world worked that way @fishguy242 would be able to buy and drink so much Dr. Pepper without hurting himself. Hurting the stomach any way. ;):p
Dr Pepper is healthy. It doesn't hurt his stomach.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can’t be “lost in the wrasses” with my center piece fish not being a wrasse lol. Well my favorite fish will now be my center piece :) Can’t wait to add him!
1675396359198.png

The Harlequin Tusk is my all time favorite fish out there in this hobby. Not worried about it touching corals or bugging fish. Loosing inverts more often than not I can live with lol. My former center piece was a Regal angelfish which I love but…maybe…just maybe :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Don’t worry Aaron don’t loose faith lol. Although @Slocke doesn’t mind :squinting-face-with-tongue:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can’t be “lost in the wrasses” with my center piece fish not being a wrasse lol. Well my favorite fish will now be my center piece :) Can’t wait to add him!
1675396359198.png

The Harlequin Tusk is my all time favorite fish out there in this hobby. Not worried about it touching corals or bugging fish. Loosing inverts more often than not I can live with lol. My former center piece was a Regal angelfish which I love but…maybe…just maybe :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Don’t worry Aaron don’t loose faith lol. Although @Slocke doesn’t mind :squinting-face-with-tongue:
YES!!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back