OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Could probably house a BTA. I don't think, based on the info above, that you're setup to have one Thrive quite yet.

Set a reminder in your phone, for three months from now, and link your above post. Work towards that goal. Stability being the most important imo.

Future you, Has this changed? Tag me and let's talk about it.
Definitely. I will! Thx for the help Lost.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo
giphy (18).gif

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out lol. Like I said before I’m in South America rn and leave back home on Thursday. Today we went out the mountains and got an hair cut and obviously needed to shower after words. Impatient interns :rolleyes: :squinting-face-with-tongue: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I may be an intern but @MERKEY def. Is not....lol look who is looking like an intern now lol

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You snoozed. RP had one.
SunsetPencil.jpeg
I just purchased from reefpro an hour ago. It's hard to find care information anywhere on this fish though. Any feedback or insight?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased from reefpro an hour ago. It's hard to find care information anywhere on this fish though. Any feedback or insight?
This is a fish which is in the hardest genus of the common wrasses IMHO. They don’t ship well and they generally starve in captivity as other wrasses and fish tend to outcompete them.

This genus of wrasse tends to do best in a tank built around them. Males generally have the worst shipping experience and tend to stress out more.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have personal experience with this genus, but it looks like that was a 5-6" specimen. Not sure how big the system this fish is going into or the other inhabitants.

I'll share some experience with some of my other wrasse that bury in sand and tend not to ship well in case it may be helpful.

I have 330 gallon, 84" system. Early on when there were fewer fish, I was able to release the sand dwelling wrasse into the system comfortably. As I now have many more fish, new additions, particularly delicate ones have difficulty with any bullying early on from other tank mates, even if it seems minimal.

Here is my recent acclimation process for a lennardi where I used an acclimation box. In this instance the box was very helpful to minimize stress. It prevented bullying. It helped me acclimate the fish to the light cycle and get over jet lag. I was able to elicit a feeding response and transition to frozen foods I commonly feed the system. In this case I had sand in the acclimation box which helped avoid injury to the wrasses mouth as is common in this genus as they attempt to bury themselves against hard surfaces. The acclimation process I used in this one case proved to be successful and the transition for the specimen to the system went smoothly. The important thing is to make every attempt to minimize further stress for the specimen.

Whether it is required for survival, I feel all my high metabolism wrasses and fish benefit from frequent feeding in small amounts. In my system, I use the avast plank to feed freeze-dried mysis 5 times per day in addition to frozen 1-3 times a day. This was initially intended for my anthias, but ultimately has proven beneficial for the wrasse in the system as well.

You have a beautiful fish on the way. I'm rooting for your success! Hope to hear how it goes and learn from your experience.

1675879772804.png

1675879785654.png

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have personal experience with this genus, but it looks like that was a 5-6" specimen. Not sure how big the system this fish is going into or the other inhabitants.

I'll share some experience with some of my other wrasse that bury in sand and tend not to ship well in case it may be helpful.

I have 330 gallon, 84" system. Early on when there were fewer fish, I was able to release the sand dwelling wrasse into the system comfortably. As I now have many more fish, new additions, particularly delicate ones have difficulty with any bullying early on from other tank mates, even if it seems minimal.

Here is my recent acclimation process for a lennardi where I used an acclimation box. In this instance the box was very helpful to minimize stress. It prevented bullying. It helped me acclimate the fish to the light cycle and get over jet lag. I was able to elicit a feeding response and transition to frozen foods I commonly feed the system. In this case I had sand in the acclimation box which helped avoid injury to the wrasses mouth as is common in this genus as they attempt to bury themselves against hard surfaces. The acclimation process I used in this one case proved to be successful and the transition for the specimen to the system went smoothly. The important thing is to make every attempt to minimize further stress for the specimen.

Whether it is required for survival, I feel all my high metabolism wrasses and fish benefit from frequent feeding in small amounts. In my system, I use the avast plank to feed freeze-dried mysis 5 times per day in addition to frozen 1-3 times a day. This was initially intended for my anthias, but ultimately has proven beneficial for the wrasse in the system as well.

You have a beautiful fish on the way. I'm rooting for your success! Hope to hear how it goes and learn from your experience.

1675879772804.png

1675879785654.png

This is a fish which is in the hardest genus of the common wrasses IMHO. They don’t ship well and they generally starve in captivity as other wrasses and fish tend to outcompete them.

This genus of wrasse tends to do best in a tank built around them. Males generally have the worst shipping experience and tend to stress out more.

I am going to have it dropped shipped to LAX and pick it up directly to avoid the mess of UPS. Should only be in the box a total of 9 hours, start to finish.

My question here is now regarding QT. The vendor has had the fish for 4 weeks and it eating great and seems healthy and active. I have an established holding tank with live rocks, pods, sand bed, etc which is an ideal environment for acclimation for observation ONLY. I also have medicated QT system that I could acclimate him in.

What are your thoughts?

Here is the video of the fish.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have it dropped shipped to LAX and pick it up directly to avoid the mess of UPS. Should only be in the box a total of 9 hours, start to finish.

My question here is now regarding QT. The vendor has had the fish for 4 weeks and it eating great and seems healthy and active. I have an established holding tank with live rocks, pods, sand bed, etc which is an ideal environment for acclimation for observation ONLY. I also have medicated QT system that I could acclimate him in.

What are your thoughts?

I would observe this fish for 4-8 weeks in your observation tank. Once acclimated and eating treat with prazi . I haven’t used copper in years.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your thoughts?

Many diseases would probably show symptoms by 30 days. Since the fish has been held by the vendor for this period of time and appears healthy (assuming the video is recent), I would personally be more conservative and go the observational QT route. In this case, I'd assess risk outweighs benefit for medicated QT route.

At lease initially, observational QT would probably produce less stress for the fish. If the fish demonstrates signs of disease, you can still treat. Fast moving diseases like velvet are probably much less likely at this point given how long the fish has been with the vendor. So given the duration this specimen is known to have been held and not knowing how sensitive this wrasse may be to the medications would push me toward observational QT.

Good call regarding picking up at LAX. What are your thoughts?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would observe this fish for 4-8 weeks in your observation tank. Once acclimated and eating treat with prazi . I haven’t used copper in years.
Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your thoughts?

He looks perfectly healthy currently, and this is a species I wouldn’t risk QT with unless you are 100% confident in your skills. This genus and other genera like it do terribly in QT and often die due to the chemicals and stress.

If he’s already been QTed I wouldn’t QT again and simply get him into an established reef with enough swim room - Some fish love being in smaller tanks than needed for a short time however this genus IME is not that. They really want 3’ length to swim in as soon as possible.
I mean, that video alone shows the activity in this species.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks perfectly healthy currently, and this is a species I wouldn’t risk QT with unless you are 100% confident in your skills. This genus and other genera like it do terribly in QT and often die due to the chemicals and stress.

If he’s already been QTed I wouldn’t QT again and simply get him into an established reef with enough swim room - Some fish love being in smaller tanks than needed for a short time however this genus IME is not that. They really want 3’ length to swim in as soon as possible.
I mean, that video alone shows the activity in this species.
Thanks. He hasn't been QT'd, he is just in holding tank at the vendors facility for approx 4 weeks. Yes, he looks very healthy and very active but I can't in right conscious throw him in my reef without an observational period, what if he has a parasite and gives it to all my fish.

I totally understand your feedback and appreciate you taking the time, The vendor said they aren't prone to parasites but I never trust that as the final say. All fish get parasites, even seeming healthy fish can carry.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He hasn't been QT'd, he is just in holding tank at the vendors facility for approx 4 weeks. Yes, he looks very healthy and very active but I can't in right conscious throw him in my reef without an observational period, what if he has a parasite and gives it to all my fish.

I totally understand your feedback and appreciate you taking the time, The vendor said they aren't prone to parasites but I never trust that as the final say. All fish get parasites, even seeming healthy fish can carry.
I get your worry, but this is a species which really wants a large tank sooner rather than later as they can stress and looking at the size of this guy he has to be 4-5 inch by now. A male of that size is much more likely to stress in a small tank and due to shipment.

A parasite would have shown by 4 weeks if he did have one. 28 days sounds short but in the long run, how many fish have you seen make it to 28/30 days without showing a parasite? Very few if any…
But then again, I have strong views against QT and have ran both my tanks without it for the time they’ve been up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back