Lost my first fish

trust2341

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad to share but last night I lost my fist fish. It was a clownfish and he had been with me for about three weeks. I noticed he started swimming odd like vertical which I thought was a bladder issue so I stop feeding them and it got better. Then a day went by and his swimming declined again. Anyone have any good recommendations on how to heal a sick fish? I want to get stuff on standby as I am not a fan of losing fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So sad to share but last night I lost my fist fish. It was a clownfish and he had been with me for about three weeks. I noticed he started swimming odd like vertical which I thought was a bladder issue so I stop feeding them and it got better. Then a day went by and his swimming declined again. Anyone have any good recommendations on how to heal a sick fish? I want to get stuff on standby as I am not a fan of losing fish.
Did fish have a milky/hazy appearance?
Was it breathing faster than normal?
Did appetite become suppressed?

What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
T

trust2341

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did fish have a milky/hazy appearance?
Was it breathing faster than normal?
Did appetite become suppressed?

What test kits are you using ?
So no milky/haze to it at all, it did appear to be breathing heavy and on the last day he was swimming at the top of the tank and kept poking his head out of the water. He did not eat for two days and I am using the api marine saltwater master test kit. Just retested this morning ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all great. Salinity is at 1.026.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. :( How old is your tank and how did you cycle it? When you say your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are "all great," What are the actual levels?

OP
OP
T

trust2341

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. :( How old is your tank and how did you cycle it? When you say your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are "all great," What are the actual levels?
My tank is going on two months, cycled it for the first month is live rock from my friends tank of 20+ years. Ph was 8.2, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, and nitrate less than 5ppm

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So no milky/haze to it at all, it did appear to be breathing heavy and on the last day he was swimming at the top of the tank and kept poking his head out of the water. He did not eat for two days and I am using the api marine saltwater master test kit. Just retested this morning ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all great. Salinity is at 1.026.
Reason I questioned test kit is reading likely not great as API kits are notorious for false readings and have let down many reefers hence the low price of $21 for a master kit.
Low dissolved oxygen is one of my suspicions.
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API tests and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

OP
OP
T

trust2341

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I questioned test kit is reading likely not great as API kits are notorious for false readings and have let down many reefers hence the low price of $21 for a master kit.
Low dissolved oxygen is one of my suspicions.
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API tests and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
So for the oxygen levels any suggestions on how to increase it? Do air stones help with this in the interim ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

So for the oxygen levels any suggestions on how to increase it? Do air stones help with this in the interim ?
They do as well as directing water flow towards the surface

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If oxygen levels are the problem, an air stone would definitely help, or you could use a powerhead aimed toward the surface to really agitate the surface of the water.

OP
OP
T

trust2341

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If oxygen levels are the problem, an air stone would definitely help, or you could use a powerhead aimed toward the surface to really agitate the surface of the water.
For the power heads does it need to break the water line completely?

OP
OP
T

trust2341

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So agitating the water with the power heads, I can see ton of oxygen movement but the second clown now won’t eat. Got a second water test kit and ph appears to be around 9 and alkalinity over 300. They don’t seem to like all that motion in the water so not sure if he is just shocked or what
image.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So agitating the water with the power heads, I can see ton of oxygen movement but the second clown now won’t eat. Got a second water test kit and ph appears to be around 9 and alkalinity over 300. They don’t seem to like all that motion in the water so not sure if he is just shocked or what
image.jpg

Please post a full tank shot. Based on this picture, I think it would be helpful.

Thanks.
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank

How big is the tank? It looks like a 20g long or perhaps a 40g breeder.

I would have to agree with previous postings and the lack of oxygen theory.

Based on the picture, it appears that you are relying on one power head and a hang on back filter to provide all of your flow. And the one power head you have isn't pointing at the surface.

For now, redirect the power head to the surface so that you get agitation and good gas exchange. Also, an air stone will help with oxygenation. But remember, this should be a short term solution as it will result in a lot of foam on the surface of your water.

Moving forward, I would consider adding a sump with a refugium. This will provide a place for a skimmer, which will provide oxygen. Also, with a refugium, you will have nutrient export and reduce the algae growth in your tank.

OP
OP
T

trust2341

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? It looks like a 20g long or perhaps a 40g breeder.

I would have to agree with previous postings and the lack of oxygen theory.

Based on the picture, it appears that you are relying on one power head and a hang on back filter to provide all of your flow. And the one power head you have isn't pointing at the surface.

For now, redirect the power head to the surface so that you get agitation and good gas exchange. Also, an air stone will help with oxygenation. But remember, this should be a short term solution as it will result in a lot of foam on the surface of your water.

Moving forward, I would consider adding a sump with a refugium. This will provide a place for a skimmer, which will provide oxygen. Also, with a refugium, you will have nutrient export and reduce the algae growth in your tank.
Thanks that is the long term goal and I have been adjusting the power heads to breakup the surface water and provide additional oxygen. Appreciate all the feedback wish I was a day or two earlier.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back