Lost on what to.. advice??

Nickster135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to manually remove this every week. Came in from a frag and it multiplied faster than I could react. Any suggestions on the best way to remove it? Its roots go inside of the rock. Any fish or inverts that eat it? Thinking about scraping the rock.

20180227_195858.jpg

Last edited:

Hiachi20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to manually remove this every week. Came in from a frag and it multiplied faster than I could react. Any suggestions on the best way to remove it? It roots go inside of the rock. Any fish or inverts that eat it? Thinking about so scraping the rock.

20180227_195858.jpg
What is that exactly? Some sort of coral or algae?

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following for suggestions. I’ve had a little area of this stuff growing that I’ve been carefully manually removing for months. Just recently found a new patch growing in an entirely new location.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs, foxfaces and I think emarald crabs eat it. The crab may be a hit or a miss though. You are growing it well due to excess nutrients and obviously having the display lights. I would limit feedings and see if you can get any of the above.

OP
OP
Nickster135

Nickster135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys. It's a 29 gallon biocube so I don't think a fox face or tang would work for me :( I'm leaning towards replacing the rock lol.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing rock (not just cleaning it) is your best bet, or maybe "borrowing" a small fox face from LFS for a little while. Seems like it grows well even in a low nutrient environment, and recommend that you test parameters to make sure they are normal.

I finally got rid of mine by pulling it out at every sighting and better managing my nitrate and phosphate; lot of work of course.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys. It's a 29 gallon biocube so I don't think a fox face or tang would work for me :( I'm leaning towards replacing the rock lol.

What fish do you have? You’re lucky at least it’s a small tank.

I’d remove all rocks, do a very good inspection of the back chamber, sand etc.then run the tank without any rocks for a week or so to make sure.

You can get some seachem matrix, put in a bag and put in the back while doing that. I’d throw the matrix after you’re done and before adding new rocks. Your cycle will restart so you will probably need to dose bacteria like biospira. Good luck!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back