Lost Reef of Atlantis - 65g to 90-gallon!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So just need some advice. So ever since I started dosing neonitro and neophos my Millis and tenuis have been stress slimming. Not all of them though. So I hadn't been to worried and figured they'd get acclimated. Well, I don't think they are liking it.

My sungod I noticed today that it's stn'ing at the tops it looks like. Skin on the others seem to be fine. The sungod hadn't slimmed or showed any issues I noticed until yesterday when it wasn't as hairy and sliming a very little. Then I noticed the tips today.

Our orange you jealous colony had been slimming the whole time. Last night/this morning I found a scarlet hermit on it, and it may have eaten some flesh. Not sure. Skin all looks good and thick, but pe wasn't great today.

We did lose the freebie from last sale, it lost the majority of its flesh the last few days and was done yesterday. Just don't want to lose any more if I can help it.

Should I keep dosing the NO3 and Po4, or stop and see if things get better again? Just a little concerned since everything had been going so well!

Calling the big dogs... @billyocean @pandaparties @tbrown3589 @Kasrift @SBB Corals @ryshark

Thanks in advance! I think it's been ten days since I started doing 10ml NO3 and 5ml Po4 daily.

Still been showing only 2ppm NO3 (better than 0 I guess!) and 0 Po4
And for the record, I'm a newbie at sticks. I'm always willing to share what has helped me! Thanks @billyocean and @Dhaleillama !

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means a pro and am always open to new ideas as well. The practices I recommend are what works in my tank..I also don't run a skimmer/kalk/calcium reactor/scrubber.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, after talking with @billyocean originally for the same problems, I was dosing 20ml a day in my 125+30 sump for almost a month. Gotta check those numbers though and watch. My Salifert was still showing just barely above 0, Hanna said I was at 0.25 when I finally started getting a reading. I stopped that day for 4 days and tested again for my daily dose. I'm currently dosing 5 ml every day and a second dose of 5 ml twice a week.

Are you struggling with Cyano at all? Even in small amounts on the sand and rock?

What's the Alk on the top off water? Have you tested that?

I haven't seen any yet in this tank. I haven't checked my RODI water alk, never thought about it. But probably should, we're on well water not city also.

Also, I said redsea for everything but mg earlier, I was wrong, mg is redsea and Po4 is Salifert.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I haven't seen any yet in this tank. I haven't checked my RODI water alk, never thought about it. But probably should, we're on well water not city also.

Also, I said redsea for everything but mg earlier, I was wrong, mg is redsea and Po4 is Salifert.
Salifert is supposed to be the easiest to read - I had to be outside in sunlight to see even the hint of color and Hanna said I was at 0.05. If you're trying to run ULNS Hanna is the only option without looking at the high end lab grade stuff. If you're trying to keep a little - 0.05 to 0.25 Salifert can work but you'll have no clue what the actual numbers are.

Also, my top off water ended up being the problem for me. You want it to be 0 since alk doesn't evaporate. I think mine was around 6 and over time it allowed my tank water to creep up.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Salifert is supposed to be the easiest to read - I had to be outside in sunlight to see even the hint of color and Hanna said I was at 0.05. If you're trying to run ULNS Hanna is the only option without looking at the high end lab grade stuff. If you're trying to keep a little - 0.05 to 0.25 Salifert can work but you'll have no clue what the actual numbers are.

Also, my top off water ended up being the problem for me. You want it to be 0 since alk doesn't evaporate. I think mine was around 6 and over time it allowed my tank water to creep up.

Good to know for sure! See, you're not a newbie! haha. We all are newbies though in reality, we're all always learning. This hobby is good for that, no two tanks are alike, and you can almost always learn something new.

I'm going to check my RODI this afternoon and see what it's at also. I suspect it's not 0 either.

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no pro, but I have a successful tank and stick to the basics and keep everything stabile and learned to not have knee jerk reactions and try and change something quickly, it usually does more bad then good.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, our trumpet coral is happy at least. Looking at it before bed tonight, because it always has great PE after lights out. It's going from 8 heads, to 16+! So that's pretty neat to see! Here's a quick picture! You can see all the heads turning into two! Our Ultra nicks torch also has went from 2 heads to 4. So, some positives with all my worries. Just trying to sit back and enjoy, and not knee jerk!

336654048_689638116182236_5304512266258858987_n.jpg

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, our trumpet coral is happy at least. Looking at it before bed tonight, because it always has great PE after lights out. It's going from 8 heads, to 16+! So that's pretty neat to see! Here's a quick picture! You can see all the heads turning into two! Our Ultra nicks torch also has went from 2 heads to 4. So, some positives with all my worries. Just trying to sit back and enjoy, and not knee jerk!

336654048_689638116182236_5304512266258858987_n.jpg
You've got this!

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, unfortunately we lost the sungod last night. Today things are looking pretty much the same. The green crack is losing it's color and turning grayish it looks like. The blue avengers skin is definitely not as thick, you can see striations in the skin now.

Not sure what's going on, everything still looks good parameters wise. Not very hopeful for the acros at this point. They all still have PE, even the sungod had PE like yesterday where it still had tissue this morning... All the LPS seem to be doing fine at least. Fish and inverts are all OK and loving life too.

20230326_123033.jpg
20230326_123030.jpg
20230326_123028.jpg

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unfortunately we lost the sungod last night. Today things are looking pretty much the same. The green crack is losing it's color and turning grayish it looks like. The blue avengers skin is definitely not as thick, you can see striations in the skin now.

Not sure what's going on, everything still looks good parameters wise. Not very hopeful for the acros at this point. They all still have PE, even the sungod had PE like yesterday where it still had tissue this morning... All the LPS seem to be doing fine at least. Fish and inverts are all OK and loving life too.

20230326_123033.jpg
20230326_123030.jpg
20230326_123028.jpg
I wouldn't have pulled it yet, unlike LPS acros can bounce back from way worse than that. You have an ICP shipped yet? Also that alk is pretty high and the higher it is the more unforgiving I've found (even though they might grow faster). I'd work towards getting closer to 8.

And did you check your TDS? It's seriously one of the biggest factors for me. I started changing my filters as soon as the tds between my second and third DI chambers starts reading one and the difference really is huge. Sorry you are struggling! Happens to all of us from time to time

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

20230326_123033.jpg
20230326_123030.jpg
20230326_123028.jpg
I lost one of my Sungod overnight two days after I received it.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn't have pulled it yet, unlike LPS acros can bounce back from way worse than that. You have an ICP shipped yet? Also that alk is pretty high and the higher it is the more unforgiving I've found (even though they might grow faster). I'd work towards getting closer to 8.

And did you check your TDS? It's seriously one of the biggest factors for me. I started changing my filters as soon as the tds between my second and third DI chambers starts reading one and the difference really is huge. Sorry you are struggling! Happens to all of us from time to time

TDS has always came back at 0 after rodi. I change our filters every three months or at the first sight of a color change on the DI. I change all four at once also, I think that's the only right way. Lol

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I just got home from my first day at the new J. O. B. Easy couple of weeks in training coming up.

Unfortunately, upon getting home I was able to look at the health of everything. All SPS are dying, except maybe three currently. Our biggest tiger tinus small colony, a white walker nub, and our red hulk Monti.

Everything else has lost PE completely and a few have very thin tissue now. It's also affecting our Rainbow Pocillopora which had been doing very well since we've had it. It's one of the OG corals in the tank, even survived the SVE in the 65g. But it's polyps are turning white from the base up, and some polpys have retraced completely.

Just really not sure what happened. Everything had been doing so well. I don't know if it was the no3/Po4 dosing or something else. Really not sure what to do either before our corals get here this week from @SBB Corals.

I'm really hoping it's not SCTLD, with the greying and overall decline... Not sure how it could be? Can it just randomly start? Here are some pictures from today. You can see the LPS seem fine and happy.

20230327_163140.jpg
20230327_163059.jpg
20230327_163050.jpg
20230327_162918.jpg
20230327_162906.jpg
20230327_162841.jpg
20230327_162834.jpg
20230327_162811.jpg
20230327_162756.jpg
20230327_162742.jpg
20230327_162726.jpg
20230327_162721.jpg
20230327_162717.jpg
20230327_162710.jpg
20230327_162706.jpg

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just got home from my first day at the new J. O. B. Easy couple of weeks in training coming up.

Unfortunately, upon getting home I was able to look at the health of everything. All SPS are dying, except maybe three currently. Our biggest tiger tinus small colony, a white walker nub, and our red hulk Monti.

Everything else has lost PE completely and a few have very thin tissue now. It's also affecting our Rainbow Pocillopora which had been doing very well since we've had it. It's one of the OG corals in the tank, even survived the SVE in the 65g. But it's polyps are turning white from the base up, and some polpys have retraced completely.

Just really not sure what happened. Everything had been doing so well. I don't know if it was the no3/Po4 dosing or something else. Really not sure what to do either before our corals get here this week from @SBB Corals.

I'm really hoping it's not SCTLD, with the greying and overall decline... Not sure how it could be? Can it just randomly start? Here are some pictures from today. You can see the LPS seem fine and happy.

20230327_163140.jpg
20230327_163059.jpg
20230327_163050.jpg
20230327_162918.jpg
20230327_162906.jpg
20230327_162841.jpg
20230327_162834.jpg
20230327_162811.jpg
20230327_162756.jpg
20230327_162742.jpg
20230327_162726.jpg
20230327_162721.jpg
20230327_162717.jpg
20230327_162710.jpg
20230327_162706.jpg
The algae on a couple are never a good sign. I'd try to get ALK down in the 8s. If you are worried its the neophos/neonitrate then stop but start feeding more. Low nutrients aren't helping that's for sure. And probably most importantly send out an ICP (triton is quick from what ive heard) and check. It's possible you have some metals etc causing issues. I'd also throw in a bag of GAC (chemipure blue is my goto) just in case its contaminant linked from new plumbing etc. It could drastically help and at worst it does nothing

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The algae on a couple are never a good sign. I'd try to get ALK down in the 8s. If you are worried its the neophos/neonitrate then stop but start feeding more. Low nutrients aren't helping that's for sure. And probably most importantly send out an ICP (triton is quick from what ive heard) and check. It's possible you have some metals etc causing issues. I'd also throw in a bag of GAC (chemipure blue is my goto) just in case its contaminant linked from new plumbing etc. It could drastically help and at worst it does nothing

I plan on sending an ICP this Friday, unfortunately I got to wait for payday. Tomorrow after work I'm going to the LFS that's 1.5hr drive from the house (just because city traffic and bridges...) to borrow an Apogee PAR meter also. Also, will have our ATO set up by this weekend. I'll look into chemipure also. I was thinking about putting a bag of Reefspec carbon in as an active filter also just in case?

All new pluming is just clear tubing that I had rinsed and rinsed with vinegar and RODI water prior to hooking up. I had also started dosing the Redsea AB+ for trace or whatever it adds on recommendation of the LFS about the same time I started dosing. The stuff that makes your tank look radioactive... lol. I dosed that every other day. Not sure if that could have been a factor or not?

Yeah, the algae has been cleaned off a ton by the Tangs and snails also. they keep it pretty much that level or shorter. I had planned on taking them all off the plugs and gluing them permanently. So wasn't too worried, but now doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Also, down to 9.5 on alk currently. Hopefully be at 8.5/9 tomorrow.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on sending an ICP this Friday, unfortunately I got to wait for payday. Tomorrow after work I'm going to the LFS that's 1.5hr drive from the house (just because city traffic and bridges...) to borrow an Apogee PAR meter also. Also, will have our ATO set up by this weekend. I'll look into chemipure also. I was thinking about putting a bag of Reefspec carbon in as an active filter also just in case?

All new pluming is just clear tubing that I had rinsed and rinsed with vinegar and RODI water prior to hooking up. I had also started dosing the Redsea AB+ for trace or whatever it adds on recommendation of the LFS about the same time I started dosing. The stuff that makes your tank look radioactive... lol. I dosed that every other day. Not sure if that could have been a factor or not?

Yeah, the algae has been cleaned off a ton by the Tangs and snails also. they keep it pretty much that level or shorter. I had planned on taking them all off the plugs and gluing them permanently. So wasn't too worried, but now doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Also, down to 9.5 on alk currently. Hopefully be at 8.5/9 tomorrow.
Did you use primer or cement on any of it? If you don't use stuff rated for potable water I've heard of it causing issues.

Not familiar with reefspec but as long as it's GAC and rinsed you should be good to go and it's a good thing to try in cases like this. PM me about the ICP and I'll order you one before payday. You got dying coral so the sooner the better here

As far as the algae, not worried about stuff on the base as much (though it can be irritating) but when you see it on the skin like in this picture it's bad news. When I see that I almost always pull them and dip to both get rid of algae and prevent any bacterial infection.
Screenshot_20230327-152141.png

Take it slow in reducing alk as too much can shock. I aim for around .1-.2 a day when lowering or increasing.

If you do all this and it's still having issues you could try a chemiclean or some antibiotic in case it's a bad bacterial bloom. Or large changes of water if it's contamination. What salt? I think you said black bucket but I'd try blue so you're not spiking alk on WC

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you use primer or cement on any of it? If you don't use stuff rated for potable water I've heard of it causing issues.

Not familiar with reefspec but as long as it's GAC and rinsed you should be good to go and it's a good thing to try in cases like this. PM me about the ICP and I'll order you one before payday. You got dying coral so the sooner the better here

As far as the algae, not worried about stuff on the base as much (though it can be irritating) but when you see it on the skin like in this picture it's bad news. When I see that I almost always pull them and dip to both get rid of algae and prevent any bacterial infection.
Screenshot_20230327-152141.png

Take it slow in reducing alk as too much can shock. I aim for around .1-.2 a day when lowering or increasing.

If you do all this and it's still having issues you could try a chemiclean or some antibiotic in case it's a bad bacterial bloom. Or large changes of water if it's contamination. What salt? I think you said black bucket but I'd try blue so you're not spiking alk on WC

Yeah, that algae on there, it showed up over night and on the tips of a few. That's usually when I figure they're gone, especially if they've lost tissue. That one hasn't lost its tissue, but it's all turning grey, and getting thin. I haven't done a WC since the new tank transfer. Just top off, and dosing.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just an update. Lost a tiger tenuis, green crack, nice freebie from two sales ago that looked like dragon coaster maybe?, honeycomb, blue avenger.

Two tiger tenuis, one nub, one small colony are still holding on well it looks like, the orange you jealous is trying it's best to stay, and a white walker nub. The Rainbow is still holding some color so hopefully it pulls through. I had only been adding 2ml of alk the last couple of days. Before I was just adding 5ml, and it was a lot higher than I expected when I checked at 10.5 before. It's dropped a lot with me only adding 2ml a day the last couple of days, I'm assuming from consumption, but I don't know.

I've added in Reefspec active carbon in my sump, just in case. I used to run it out of the hang on filter on the 65g. Here's to hoping the last few make it, and thing get better before Thursdays delivery! All LPS and Fish/inverts are still doing well also.

Here's the water parameters this evening:

Alk: 8.1 Rodi Alk: 0 - added 5ml after test. Will add another 5ml in the morning to hopefully get it back to 8.3-8.5ish
Cal: 420
Mag: 1440
No3: 2
Po4: 0
Sal: 1.0255
PH: 7.99
Temp: 78.2
Time: 10:10 PM

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Lost a tiger tenuis, green crack, nice freebie from two sales ago that looked like dragon coaster maybe?, honeycomb, blue avenger.

Two tiger tenuis, one nub, one small colony are still holding on well it looks like, the orange you jealous is trying it's best to stay, and a white walker nub. The Rainbow is still holding some color so hopefully it pulls through. I had only been adding 2ml of alk the last couple of days. Before I was just adding 5ml, and it was a lot higher than I expected when I checked at 10.5 before. It's dropped a lot with me only adding 2ml a day the last couple of days, I'm assuming from consumption, but I don't know.

I've added in Reefspec active carbon in my sump, just in case. I used to run it out of the hang on filter on the 65g. Here's to hoping the last few make it, and thing get better before Thursdays delivery! All LPS and Fish/inverts are still doing well also.

Here's the water parameters this evening:

Alk: 8.1 Rodi Alk: 0 - added 5ml after test. Will add another 5ml in the morning to hopefully get it back to 8.3-8.5ish
Cal: 420
Mag: 1440
No3: 2
Po4: 0
Sal: 1.0255
PH: 7.99
Temp: 78.2
Time: 10:10 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Params minus PO4 look good to me

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry man! That's tough. Like @pandaparties said, everything looks good except the phosphates. I'd probably work on boosting the nitrates some as well. When you get those phosphates moving some the nitrates can drop out from it, so keep an eye on those. Raising the alk should help bring the pH up a hair as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back