Lots of Corals dying - Alkalinity and Calcium use has nearly stopped.

pedro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Steve.
I do not know how much it can cause bleaching your levels of zinc, chromium, and lithium but in my case the corals bleached and the analysis was good things here remain stable the new corals continue in good colors and health
I will try to leave here my analysis so you have an idea of how my tank was when the corals were sick
greetings

Attachments

• Analyse3737.pdf
    128.7 KB · Views: 183

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my Triton test results. The 527mg/L Ca levels are way higher than I measure. I use Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium test. The reference is 403ppm but tested at 370ppm. However if I add 33ppm to my test result I am still 64ppm lower than Triton. Seachem is sending me new reagents. Maybe it's time to switch test kits. Based on my B-Ionic dosing I thought I was having major Ca deficiency. Does anyone use a Ca test kit they know to be highly accurate? So far I have switched salt mix from IO Reef Crystals to Red Sea Coral Pro and just did a 50% WC. I also have taken out GFO. I don't plan to run it anymore unless I see elevated P04. I have no idea if elevated levels of zinc, chromium, and lithium are causing me any issues.
Steve,
I use the Red Sea Pro cal test but I can't say it's better than Salifert. I used to use the RSP mag kit until I figured out it was giving me high mag results. So I switched to Salifert mag kit that showed my mag was low and my Cal and Alk intake has gone up after adjusting mag to the Salifert kit.

I'd like to tag along and let Randy digest and respond to your results while he makes his morning rounds.

Thanks, Freddie

OP
OP
Steve Ruddy

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Steve.
I do not know how much it can cause bleaching your levels of zinc, chromium, and lithium but in my case the corals bleached and the analysis was good things here remain stable the new corals continue in good colors and health
I will try to leave here my analysis so you have an idea of how my tank was when the corals were sick
greetings

Thanks Pedro, So glad to here things are doing well. I'm wondering why you don't think the Carbonate hardness 6.06 °dKH wasn't part of your problem.

pedro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve
I think that Kh was not my problem but at the time I was doing my Kh test with Salifert and he said that Kh was in 7.7 but montiporas, pociloporas, callendrium and some acroporas never had problems
I still think my problem was bacterial infection
greetings

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy, Would you mind breaking down Steve's results for us on his post #60?

Just wanting to learn :)

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
Steve Ruddy

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue is solved! Lithium, Zinc, and Chromium were at high levels. This was due to dosing B-Ionic in unequal parts in attempt to keep Ca level in target. There was no need to do this as my Ca level was actually much higher than I thought. Chromium, Zinc and Lithium are all in B-Ionic part 2. I did a 50% WC followed my two smaller WCs. Tissue has regenerated! FWIW nutrients are still undetectable however I plan on trying to raise them a bit to see what effect it will have on coral color and growth. I generally like a bright vs saturated look. Thanks to the Triton Test results for helping me solve the case of my tank crash!!

test1.JPG

test2.JPG

test3.JPG

help1.JPG

help2.JPG

detectAction1.JPG

detectAction2.JPG

detectAction3.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue is solved! Lithium, Zinc, and Chromium were at high levels. This was due to dosing B-Ionic in unequal parts in attempt to keep Ca level in target. There was no need to do this as my Ca level was actually much higher than I thought. Chromium, Zinc and Lithium are all in B-Ionic part 2. I did a 50% WC followed my two smaller WCs. Tissue has regenerated! FWIW nutrients are still undetectable however I plan on trying to raise them a bit to see what effect it will have on coral color and growth. I generally like a bright vs saturated look. Thanks to the Triton Test results for helping me solve the case of my tank crash!!

test1.JPG

test2.JPG

test3.JPG

help1.JPG

help2.JPG

detectAction1.JPG

detectAction2.JPG

detectAction3.JPG
Steve,
Congrats!
:D

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you solved it! Though I am confused as to there being that much chromium zinc and lithium in b-ionic part 2?

Also, what is your solution moving forward? To always dose in equal parts even if calcium remains high? I am having a similar problem when I only ever seem to require dosing for alk.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt B-ionic is the source of contamination. Elevated lithium for sure comes from salt, most American brands are known to have elevated levels of lithium (because they are using rock salt as base?) but for the moment there are no evidence that high lithium levels are dangerous for reef tanks. Unequal dosing of b-ionic two parts could not cause that high accumulation of chromium and zinc IMO. Zinc is bioactive element and will be used / removed from the system quite fast. Quite often source of unwanted elements is phosphate remover media (especially if it is in reactor). IMO the main problem for your thank was the zeroed phosphates (0 phosphate is very rarely seen in a Triton test) alongside with high chromium levels.

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding your triton test, was yours forwarded to Germany?

I just received a notification that mine was received and being forwarded off to Germany, but I had thought they were doing testing for the US in California as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back