OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup. I had been looking at peninsula style tanks for a while, ordered a custom tank 2 days before Red Sea announced this one. Oh well... it wasn't _quite_ what I wanted (60x30x18). Close though.
That sounds like a beautiful tank! I could only imagine the look on my wife's face if I told her those dimensions for a tank in our living room. :eek:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a look at the sump and dry area. I'm still working on getting all the electronics wired up but I love the setup so far. I'm going to be moving my existing living room tank into this tank so I'm taking my time and getting everything right. This time I'm trying to focus on wire management and simplicity of equipment.

20170701_040756295_iOS.jpg

20170701_153620012_iOS.jpg

20170701_211027535_iOS.jpg

20170701_221940813_iOS.jpg

20170701_222512674_iOS.jpg
Looking good what are the black boxes on the left

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good what are the black boxes on the left
Those are the BRS dosing pumps. I was going to run the output into the sump but it was starting to get crowded in there. The lines instead are going to run up into the display and drop right in front of a power head.

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock list are 2 yellow watchman gobies, 1 sunburst anthia, 1 powder blue tang, 1 Red Sea sailfin tang, 1 longhorn cow fish, 1 lawnmower blenny, 3 perculas, red legged hermits, trocus snails, 1 pistol shrimp. Do you think I'm maxed out or could I add a few smaller fish like a blue spotted jawfish, dottybacks, or basslets?

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the good news is I got a SID module in the mail today for the reefkeeper. The bad news is that there is a software bug that won't let me run it on my Win10 laptop. No timeframe from DA as to when it will be fixed. Their response was that it works on their machine. Haha. I should have bought an apex.

IMG_0531.JPG

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SID is just the USB interface, right? Comes with the reefkeeper, don't they?

Having hooked up my reefkeeper to my Win10 laptop (worked fine) and played with the interface some, I'm unlikely to ever use it again. Running the system from the main control pad just isn't that difficult.

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, and up to this point I have been using the head unit. It's dead simple. Only problem is that I bought reefkeeper used so the modules have been renamed to the previous owner's settings. The only way I can change them is by connecting the head unit to myreef. When I click the icon it doesn't open and I can see an unhandled exception in the event log. I've heard it works on some Win10 machines, just not mine.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the software itself won't run, maybe running it in Win7 compatibility mode, or run it with administrator rights might get you around it.

If it works on some W10 boxen, and not yours, it _might_ be the port hardware... try a different port, many laptops have both high speed USB3 ports, and slower 1.1 or 2.0 ports. If that doesn't work, pick up a cheap USB hub and try it between your device and the SID.

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the software itself won't run, maybe running it in Win7 compatibility mode, or run it with administrator rights might get you around it.

If it works on some W10 boxen, and not yours, it _might_ be the port hardware... try a different port, many laptops have both high speed USB3 ports, and slower 1.1 or 2.0 ports. If that doesn't work, pick up a cheap USB hub and try it between your device and the SID.

Hey these are great ideas. I'll try a few. I did only try with one port on my laptop.

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louie, great job on the build. I just placed my order for the Red Sea Peninsula 650 yesterday, so I'm eager to follow along with your build.
Likewise, good luck sir. Love to see how you set yours up as well. I've talked with other people on here particularly about lighting so I'm interested to see how you handle yours.

kresDFW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise, good luck sir. Love to see how you set yours up as well. I've talked with other people on here particularly about lighting so I'm interested to see how you handle yours.
I really like the light housing from red sea's deluxe version, but I already own 4 hydras, so for now I'm just going with AI's HMS hanging light kit. I'll most likely end up just building a canopy, but at the moment, I'm going to start building a bar this weekend that goes along one side of the tank so you can sit and view it on the dining room side.

My previous DSA 175g build I ended up building a canapy so I could add t5's to the mix, but I was never happy looking at the tank when they were on, so this round I'll just stick with hydras and add more if needed.

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're a few days in and the skimmer is settling in nicely. I can't say enough about the SCA skimmers. So far so good.

IMG_0532.JPG

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Louie, I have a couple of questions for you:

1) What does the cabinet look like on the opposite side of the doors? Is it just another set of doors without the hinges?
2) When are we going to see an end shot of the tank!?!

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Louie, I have a couple of questions for you:

1) What does the cabinet look like on the opposite side of the doors? Is it just another set of doors without the hinges?
2) When are we going to see an end shot of the tank!?!
Yep, looks exactly like the front side without hinges and the Red Sea emblem. As for the end shot...

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

OP
OP
LV3

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8020 light rack was supposed to have shipped yesterday so I need to follow up on that. In the meantime, I was thinking about the supplemental T5 retrofit kit I got from BRS and got to thinking that it's going to fill in the tank nicely but will also subdue a lot of the natural shimmering look from the LED.

So I bought another AP700 yesterday and will run just the two AP700s. I didn't want to lose the shimmer and I don't want to replace bulbs. It may end up being major overkill for this 48" tank but we'll find out. So I may have a 54w t5 retrofit kit or an AP700 for sale soon. More to come this week...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back