Low Alk in one tank and high Calcium in other

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two tanks. A 13.5 fluval tank that is currently high on calcium 521ppm. I plan on doing a water change to see if this helps with the problem. I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with higher then ideal calcium numbers and if they have and good advice on how to bring it down. My other tank is a CVUE 40 gallon tank. All the parameters are great and where they need to be. The only think that is off is my alkalinity. It usually always sits around 9.2 but now that I have installed a media reactor it now reads 6ppm. Is the easiest what to deal with this to just dose ALK. If anyone has any advice it be greatly appreciated. Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
521 isn’t ridiculously high - just elevated. I’m not sure what the stated calcium level is with the salt you’re using, but continued water changes should bring that back into balance.

Without knowing what you’re running in the media reactor on the other tank it’s hard to speculate (along with how long it took to drop from 9.2 dKH to 6 dKH; assuming “ppm” was a typo). But again, continued water changes should slowly bring it up and you can also does alkalinity.

First I’d run another test (or two), just to rule out any test errors.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
521 isn’t ridiculously high - just elevated. I’m not sure what the stated calcium level is with the salt you’re using, but continued water changes should bring that back into balance.

Without knowing what you’re running in the media reactor on the other tank it’s hard to speculate (along with how long it took to drop from 9.2 dKH to 6 dKH; assuming “ppm” was a typo). But again, continued water changes should slowly bring it up and you can also does alkalinity.

First I’d run another test (or two), just to rule out any test errors.
Yea. I am just running phosguard in my reactore right now. I need to do a water change today and then ill retest to see where my levels are at. Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back