Low Alk on new tank

rlattof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, new tank here. Finished cycle two weeks ago. Ammonia, Nitrites both 0, Nitrates 10, pH 8.3 ( Red Sea test tough to tell, but in the 8’s) a d Alk is sitting at 5. Testes multiple days, same result. Taking sample to lfs to double check tomm. Used Live sand and cleaned (bleached) rock to start along with Dr Tim’s ( half dose due to live sand). Can’t figure out the low Alk. Anyone? Thanks.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Congrats on the new tank.

What salt mix are you using? Each of them provides a different ALK as a starting point.

Either way, it's easy to increase the alkalinity using soda ash or sodium bicarbonate.

If you don't yet have corals, try doing a simple one-time adjustment using liquid sodium bicarbonate (won't impact pH). Once you get into the desired range (7.5 to 8 for FOWLR, until you get corals), then switch to liquid soda ash (better for small changes and will give pH a small bump).

Buy the "Pharma grade" bulk pouches from BRS, and then make up 1 gallon jugs of the stuff (will last you a while depending on the size of your tank).

To figure out how much to dose to your tank, use BRS' calculator.

OP
OP
R

rlattof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What salt mix are you using? Each of them provides a different ALK as a starting point.

Either way, it's easy to increase the alkalinity using soda ash or sodium bicarbonate.

If you don't yet have corals, try doing a simple one-time adjustment using liquid sodium bicarbonate (won't impact pH). Once you get into the desired range (7.5 to 8 for FOWLR, until you get corals), then switch to liquid soda ash (better for small changes and will give pH a small bump).

Buy the "Pharma grade" bulk pouches from BRS, and then make up 1 gallon jugs of the stuff (will last you a while depending on the size of your tank).

Thanks for the info. I’m using Coralife, but I’m sure it’s higher than 5. By adding supplements, will that affect the current fish? Obviously have to adjust slowly.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ... you want to make these adjustments SLOWLY.

As a general rule, don't increase KH more than 1.4 degrees per day, and don't increase pH more than 1.

So using the dosing calculator above, figure out the required dose and then break it up over a few days to keep the daily change to the limits shown above.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk went low when the tank was new, I think it's just all part of the cycle, just keep testing daily, I believe 0.5kh max increase per day is what people recommend, until you reach your target.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A word of caution is needed. If you see test results that seem wonky, always verify with another method before making any adjustments. If I see results that don't make sense I will take a sample of my water in to the LFS to see if the results are similar.

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk went low when the tank was new, I think it's just all part of the cycle, just keep testing daily, I believe 0.5kh max increase per day is what people recommend, until you reach your target.
I know this is older but going through threads as I have low alk dropped fast. It’s a new tank as well. Interesting. I wonder why.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is older but going through threads as I have low alk dropped fast. It’s a new tank as well. Interesting. I wonder why.

Mine would drop from 7 to around 5, after a couple of months it didn’t drop as much, I then dosed baking soda to bring it back to 7 daily. Then moved to All for Reef.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back