Low ammonia spike and ph drop on day 6 of my cycle.... ????

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my 14g rimless biocube 6 days ago with 16lbs of live sand and some liverock from a friends tank.

Ph has been 8.0 for the last five days with hk going from about 120-160 over the 6 days and ammonia climbing from 0, to .25, to .50, to 1.0, to 1.25, to now back down to 1.0 or just under. I did start seeing the slightest hint of nitrites today, so I'm assuming the ammonia has spiked and started turning, but shouldn't it have gone higher? Also my ph dropped to about 7.8, why would that be?

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH swing some though out the day. Need to check around the same time everyday.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was. I've been grabbing water about 0900 on my way out the door and having the lfs test it at 1030 when they open. 7.8 nothing to worry about?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know why it would have all of a sudden drop, but your in a new cycle, I'd not worry about it at this point. May just be a slight hickup. 7.8 is not a big deal, but you'd typically want it above 8.0. Make sure you take the reading when the lights are on.

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the cycle do its thing. Don't worry about Ph at this point. Just test for nitrites and nitrates. Once nitrates spike and start to come down and nitrites go to zero your cycle would be just about over.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why with the lights on? I haven't been running the lights during the cycle, so Im not sure how/why that would change anything?

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH will drop at night... They is why he said that. Take another reader before you turn the lights off and see what it is.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ammonia levels have been lingering at a tad over .5 for a few days now. They came down from a bit over 1.0, and havent seen any other changes. Still zero trate and trites, ph is 8.0, and thats it.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why with the lights on? I haven't been running the lights during the cycle, so Im not sure how/why that would change anything?

It is important for the lights to be on normally for the cycle.

as stated above it will affect the pH but just about everything else also.

The algae (even corraline) on the rocks will not only consume carbon dioxide (raising pH) but also consume ammonia directly preventing or at least lowering the dangerous ammonia spikes. therefore the life on the rocks like pods and the like will do much better.

my .02

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stated cycling the light three days ago. Started with an hour and have been bumping it up a additional hour a day. Tonight they will run for 4hrs, tomorrow 5 etc. would you recommend just running them like 8 right away? It's a single kessil a150w 15k hung kinda high. About 14" right now. I have some moonlights on the way and will add those before and after the kessil cycles as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back