Low Bookshelf/Entertainment Center 180g SPS Build

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 180g acrylic tank in June of 2018 at a good price, but due to multiple life changes had not set it up. It sat in storage, joined me on a 1000+ mile move, then sat in storage a bit longer. Then in July of this year I bought my first house, which means this baby is getting water! All of August was dedicated to the house/lawn, but in late September I started working on the build. So good news is I’m starting this thread after a lot of the slow initial work, but it is still going to be a slow process :). Spoiler alert, the tank already has water in it and is cycled.

Design

The tank sits below my wall mounted TV in the living room and I am building bookshelves on the sides and a canopy for the top. In my head this has the potential to look super awesome, but there are numerous challenges that I’ll dive into later in this post. Below is the general concept (the shelves shows are just for reference, there will be more shelves). The shelves will not come to the front of the aquarium, so the side panels will be viewable.

https://flic.kr/p/2k9nvHV][/url]

https://flic.kr/p/2k9nd4r][/url]

https://flic.kr/p/2k9rt1b][/url]

Sump
The sump is a 90g tank in a guest room. Fortunately the master bedroom closet is behind the right bookshelf and the other side of the closet comes out in a corner of the guest room. So the plumbing routes to the right side of the tank (when looking at it), through the closet, then into the guest room, as seen below. The Apex equipment in the closet is temporary until I move the Apex off my 18g tank. I will also be building a cleaner shelving system in the closet to hide the pipes and allow for storage. In the last picture, the return pipes are on the far right. As soon as they come through the wall they 90 degree straight up.

https://flic.kr/p/2k9ncqC][/url]

https://flic.kr/p/2k9rsJe][/url]

https://flic.kr/p/2k9rsR8][/url]

Challenges

Let’s start with mistakes :).

First mistake was that I originally had the return pump (COR-15) on the right side of the tank. Since I’m a doofus, I originally had a 1” pipe feeding into the inlet of the pump and a 1.25” pipe coming out of the pump. Well as you can imagine, as soon as the pump got up to 50% it was trying to pull more water than was coming through the 1” pipe. Reducing the outlet to 1” did not fix it. I didn’t want to make the hole in the wall bigger or redo the whole run, so I moved the return pump into the sump and piped the outlet into the inside of the sump bulkhead.

Second mistake/challenge, the tank is sitting on a 2x10” frame. Since there are no legs, I cut a 5”x5” access port in all of the cross beams. This is barely enough room for all four drain pipes, but it is sufficient. The challenge is that I had to get the bulkheads tight, then cement the plumbing in place. I originally planned on having the bulkheads come straight into unions, but there wasn’t enough room, so any plumbing work requires cutting pipe. This challenge led to my biggest mistake.

For some reason the right overflow gets more water than the left one. Originally I had an 18” piece of PVC in each primary drain and a 22” piece of PVC on each emergency drain. The COR-15 is set to 100% with about 15’ of horizontal run and 2.5’ of vertical run. Should be pushing somewhere between 800 and 1000 gph, which is right around the max gravity volume for a 1” pipe. However, when I turned the pump on, the right primary drain immediately full siphoned and overflowed into its emergency drain and the left primary just barely filled, slightly below a full siphon. My belief is this is due to the drains going back up about 18” on the sump, so there is back pressure. The gurgling of the right emergency pipe was way too much, so I tried to remove the primary pipe to see if the added pressure of the water in the overflow chamber would take the volume below the emergency pipe. Whelp, the pipe was screwed into the bulkhead tighter than the bulkhead nut, which means in doing so, I unscrewed the bulkhead and started draining water onto the floor.

Good news is my house is one story, concrete foundation, and all tile, so there was no damage to the house. The stand also had to be shimmed all the way around, so very little water came into contact with the wood. However, in addition to the ~5g of water in the overflow chamber, the pipe started siphoning water out of the bubble tower on the sump. So I threw a towel down, ran to the sump and pulled the pipe out of the water, then started siphoning water out of the overflow chamber into a bucket. Probably drained 2-3 gallons onto the floor, which is a surprisingly large amount of water.

Once I got the water cleaned up I had to cut the pipe to redo the plumbing. In the picture of the pipes above you can see where I joined one of the pipes back together with a coupler. This was the most difficult part due to the small amount of working space. My hand barely fit in enough to allow the tips of my fingers to wedge the bulkhead nut against the side of the plywood while my other arm reached over the 24” tall tank and barely reached the nub of a pipe I left. By holding the nut still, I secured the bulkhead by turning the pipe on the inside. Though I had to stop just the right amount of loose so that I could put the male thread of the exit pipe into the bulkhead and tighten that simultaneously with the nut. This took several tries to get right.

Now, due to the above, I have the plumbing in the right overflow chamber as seen below. This however is very worrisome. My sump is roughly half full, so it can handle about 45 gallons of tank water siphoning back. If the overflow chambers were to ever leak, this would required 18” pipes in the overflow chambers, which I do not currently have.

https://flic.kr/p/2k9rsXq][/url]

Unfortunately I do not have a solution for this yet, but would love some feedback. If I leave the primary at this height and the emergency drain at 22”, the entire chamber floods and the emergency drain starts gurgling. I do not want to put a gate valve on the primary drain and restrict it enough to put the emergency drain in full siphon, as that defeats the purpose. Maybe putting a durso on the emergency drain and raising the primary back to 18” would keep the emergency drain quiet enough?

Below is the left overflow for reference.

https://flic.kr/p/2k9rsNN][/url]

And my Frankenstein return pump plumbing!

https://flic.kr/p/2k9r391][/url]

Few other random issues I had:
The tank had a pinhole leak in the bottom seem. Literally pinhole, when I water tested a single droplet pushed out, but that single droplet was enough to prevent any other water from pushing through, so it didn’t leak, just sat there. I did two rounds of Weldon #4 around the entire bottom seam, followed by two rounds of Weldon #16 around the entire bottom seam. The bottom will be covered, so the bubbles won’t be visible.

My tile floor is not perfectly flat and one of my 2x10s developed a very slight warp. I ended up having to separate the plywood top from the 2x10 by an eighth of an inch or so. I filled the gap with composite shims, then wood filler, then wood glue. Then I had to shim the entire thing, which took DAYS. It was a real pain, but after a few days of making minor adjustments to ~48 composite shims, I had it level.

I didn’t break the shims off as I wanted to make sure the tank stayed level until completely full. I used my multitool to trim the shims, but was very nervous with the ones that were flush to the ground. Luckily I do not think I nicked any of my tiles.

Lighting

The height between the top of my tank and the TV is 6.5”. Luckily my TV mount has small screw adjusters that will lift it a little bit, but it is not a lot of room to work with. I ordered two ReefBreeders Photon V2 32s and the linking rails that will hopefully arrive Wednesday. My plan is to use the feet to rest them on top of the tank and build the canopy over it. I won’t mount them to the canopy.

Flow
I ordered two IceCap 4k gyres that should also be here Wednesday (both these and the lights were on a black Friday sale :)). I plan to put one vertically on a side panel and one horizontally on the other side panel. My return pump has a 45 degree elbow blowing into the back center of the tank, but I will likely add another smaller pump in the back of the tank.

Aquascape

I started my first reef tank in 2002. At that time real Fiji rock was a thing and the goal was to fit as much rock into the tank that would fit. I personally prefer high quantity rock mounds as it feels much more natural to me. As such, my tank has roughly 250 lbs of dry base rock with another 50 lbs in the sump. I also put in 60 lbs of TropicEden Mesoflakes and have another 30 lbs that will go in the sump/fuge.

I started cycling half of my rock and a about 10 lbs of sand beginning of October. The rest of the rock and sand was added to the display with the cycled rock and sand about two weeks ago.

Livestock
Fishes
(Still a work in progress, not finalized)

- Batch 1
- Pair of Clowns (not sure on species yet)
- Royal Gramma

- Batch 2
- Ignitus Anthias (not sure how many yet, 5-8)

- Batch 3
- Yellow Tang
- Yellow Eye Kole Tang
- Powder Blue Tang

- Batch 4
- Green Mandarin (pair)
- Clown Gobies

- Batch 5
- Carpenter Wrasse
- McCosker Wrasse
- Leopard Wrasse
- Watchman goby/shrimp

Coral

Strictly acropora and montipora

Inverts

- Fire shrimp pair
- Cleaner shrimp pair
- Clams
- Fromia starfish
- Micro brittlestars

Quarrantine
Fishes

I am planning on buying all my fishes from Quarrantined Fish and likely won’t do any additional quarrantine on my side, mostly due to space, but will put everything into acclimation boxes in the display tank to ensure they are eating well and confident enough to survive.

Coral
I plan on getting all my corals from Battle Corals, but will place them in an 18g tank to light acclimate them before going into the display.

Inverts
I am concerned about the clams and snails introducing algae and/or parasites. I’ve been researching for a couple of months but haven’t found a good solution for this yet. An observation period does not seem sufficient to me. Anyone have any ideas on more extreme quarrantine measures for inverts?

Other Notes
My 18g tank has had horrible algae issues and never really started growing any coralline. That tank is around a year old. I’m likely going to add a purple and pink bottle of the ARC Reef coralline.

I plan to make my own fish food and use the Apex feeder. I work from home, so I plan to have the auto feeder drop New Life Spectrum pellets three times a day, feed frozen twice a day, and feed nori once a day. I’ll also likely dose Red Sea Reef Energy AB+.

I’ll likely add a kalk reactor and use the DoS for Ca/Alk. I may dose Red Sea Trace Colors, but not positive yet.

I’m going to try and run this tank skimmerless. If it becomes an issue I will likely add a Reef Octopus, but only if absolutely necessary.

The bookshelves are a work in progress. You can see the bottom and part of a back panel for the right side in one of the pictures above. I am waiting for the lights to arrive before doing any more work to make sure the height under the TV is going to work so I don’t cut the side panels too short. I’m going to stain the shelves/canopy honey maple. There will be additional plywood wrapping the exposed 2x10s that will come up just over the bottom pane of acrylic. There will also be doors of some sort on the bottom to cover the plumbing.

The canopy design is still a work in progress. I plan to have mesh screen over the top of the tank with the photons sitting on the tank, so I need the canopy to open in a way that I can fully access the tank. I’m thinking it will have hinges at the edge of the bookshelf so the entire front half will lift up/back.

Whelp, that’s everything I remember for now. Feel free to shoot any suggestions/questions and thanks for reading!

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an awesome start to a cool build!!
Thank you, I'm definitely excited!

This is very interesting! Will the display have tops on it? I wonder if the long term effects will mess with the tv at all? Either way, it is really cool!!!
There will be a canopy over the tank. My plan is to put two dual fans on the front of the canopy so it will suck air from the wall and blow it out the front, away from the TV. Not that this is a solution, but TCLs are also crazy cheap. Like the Jebao's of TVs.

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Twas the month before Christmas, and all through the house, everyone was stirring, because Christmas came early!!!

50646367677_778691a2fd_z.jpg

BRS Black Friday drew me in. I love all the equipment and think it is well worth it for the price.

Lights
Picked up two ReefBreeders Photon-32-V2+. I have not programmed them yet; I am currently just using the default settings that look somewhere in the 12k range. The only things I don't love are the mounting brackets and the linking bars. I would prefer if the linking rails came in a variety of sizes and the mounting poles slid into the bars. Since the rails are only 39" long, and it is difficult to get the nuts at a tight height, the lights dip slightly in the middle. When I build the canopy I will put a strap under the middle of the bars to hold it up. I also wish the linking bars had end caps to prevent the nuts from sliding out.

For the mounting brackets, I wish there were more holes drilled in the bars closer to the angle to lower the mounting height. Ideally, the part of the vertical part of the leg would also telescope, but I'm just going to cut them down. The part that sits on top of the tank also isn't very acrylic/eurobrace friendly.

The one other issue is the instructions are severely lacking. This one doesn't bother me as much as the other two as it just takes a bit of trial and error to get everything setup, but still something to note.

I did not have any firmware or non physical setup issues. I literally plugged both lights in, hit the power button on the remote, and both turned on. I didn't have any disco issues when I initially turned them on, but when I plugged in the pumps that kicked up some sand I could see the red channels in the water column. I expect that to go away when the water clears again.

Overall, I am very happy so far with them!

The pic below is in cloud mode, so should be ~10%.

50645522223_4fb402e273_z.jpg

IceCap 4k Gyres
These things are sweet! Only issue I came across is same as mentioned for the lights, the instructions are severely lacking. The gyres came with a card pointing to a get started web url, however the installation link on that page hasn't been created.... However, they were still easy to install. The only head scratcher was lack of documentation for why there was an orange and black set of propellers. They are identical other than color, so easy to work out.

I plugged both pumps into the controller and plugged the controller in, downloaded the app, created an account, and was up and running in minutes. The only configuration issue is that the controller defaults to a 4k on channel 1 and 2k on channel 2, so I had to change channel 2 to a 4k to get rid of an error on that channel.

The magnets are strong and these things do not wiggle at all at 100%. My tank is 3/8" acrylic. The only design issue is the dry side magnet. The dry side magnet creates strong suction, so when you take off the wet side, the dry side magnet doesn't drop. I understand why this can be a good thing, however it is difficult to get off since there isn't a lot of leverage/grip on the dry side. I had to wedge a semi stiff, but soft material between it and the acrylic to pry it off.

As for flow, wow! These things move some serious water! Below is right after turning them on. I currently have them set to random flow with a min of 25% and max of 100%. I will have a schedule where they run low overnight, constant in the morning and evening, and random in the middle of the day. In the image below the lights are in default sun mode, so should be ~50%.

50646360927_799a611dd6_z.jpg

Flipper
The flipper is awesome! The magnet strength is perfect for 3/8" and it is slim! I was worried about the rock in the bottom left of the tank, but the flipper scoots by it with no issue at all. It may be slightly weak for tough algae, but with regular cleanings and/or some back and forth, I don't expect any issues.

Next steps are to build the shelves/canopy and make a plan for the livestock. The lights are slightly too high for the canopy. Still thinking about how I am going to handle that.

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Programmed the lights and pumps this morning. The light programming is not difficult, but is tedious since there are 144 points. In the picture below you can see that the right gyre made short work of my sand bed. I am going to move it up a touch and put some small rock rubble in front of it to try and keep the sand disturbance without completely pushing it into a mound.

For the par:
Point 1 (top middle rock below center brace) - 270
Point 2 (top of rock directly under light) - 460
Point 3 (sand bed directly below light) - 240
Point 4 (sand bed touching front pane) - 170

50649979547_5f79e0e710_z.jpg

And the schedules. For the flow, con = constant flow and ran = random flow modes. The %s are actuals, not the % of the pump range, so 25%-100% means 1000 gph to 4000 gph.

TimeChannel 1 - RedChannel 2 - GreenChannel 3 - RoyalChannel 4 - WhiteChannel 5 - BlueChannel 6 - VioletFlowTime
0:00000000Con-500:00
1:00000000Con-501:00
2:00000000Ran 25-502:00
3:00000000Ran 25-503:00
4:00000000Ran 25-504:00
5:00000000Ran 25-505:00
6:00000000Ran 25-506:00
7:00000000Ran 25-507:00
8:00000050Con-758:00
9:000000100Ran 25-1009:00
10:00202080208080Ran 25-10010:00
Sump light off11:00202080208080Ran 25-10011:00
Sump light off12:00202080208080Ran 25-10012:00
Sump light off13:00202080208080Con-10013:00
Sump light off14:00202080208080Ran 25-10014:00
Sump light off15:00202080208080Ran 25-10015:00
Sump light off16:00202080208080Ran 25-10016:00
Sump light off17:00202080208080Ran 25-10017:00
Sump light off18:00202080208080Ran 25-10018:00
Sump light off19:00202080208080Con-10019:00
20:00202080208080Ran 25-10020:00
21:00101040104040Ran 25-10021:00
22:000000100Ran 25-5022:00
23:00000050Ran 25-5023:00

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished cutting the plywood for the second bookshelf and started staining the other one. I have one side left to stain and should start the acrylic top coat tomorrow. Lowe's didn't have honey maple stain, so I got the "Natural" one.

50662645657_8706258d6e_z.jpg

My overflow is now silent! On the right overflow I added two 90 degree elbows to the emergency drain and drilled a tiny hole in the fop of one elbow. On the left overflow I used a tee and end cap on the primary drain and put an elbow on the emergency drain just to get it a little higher. No water is currently flowing through this pipe. My return pipe was also shooting out large bubbles every couple of hours. Turning the return pump down to 90% stopped them, but I am still inspecting my connections daily for salt creep to see if I have a pinhole air leak.

50661820723_b506edfcb6_z.jpg

50661821073_f7ce6d379a_z.jpg

In my current 18g tank I have a few montis and one acro I want to move to the 180, as well as a midnight clown. That tank is struggling with algae though. I'm going to use the bins below to TTM the clown (she will be the first resident in the 180) and quarrantine/dip the corals. I am going to put the corals in the bin for a three day blackout, then put the sump AI over them. Once they bounce back I am going to give them two dips in Reef Primer over the span of a week, as well as scrub any algae off that I see, followed by an observation period.

50662555971_a346b7f6f3_z.jpg

My tank looks so clean that I don't want to put anything in it!

50662555656_b61cf13d94_z.jpg

I revised my stocklist/order a bit. The groupings are based on pricing for free shipping and establishment needs. The wrasses are last due to tank maturity. I expect the fully stocking to take around a year.

- Batch 1
- Female Midnight Clown

- Batch 2
- Immature Ocellaris Clown
- Yellow Tang
- Yellow Eye Kole Tang
- Powder Blue Tang
- Hippo Tang (maybe, still debating this one)

- Batch 3
- Ignitus Anthias (not sure how many yet, 5-8)

- Batch 4
- Green Mandarin (pair)

- Batch 5
- Carpenter Wrasse
- McCosker Wrasse
- Leopard Wrasse

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little more progress today. I decided to do a top coat of polycrylic instead of polyurethane. In the picture below, the top just had the second coat put on and the back is dry with three coats. This is the matte finish.

50666722676_5d4bb2a7b5_z.jpg

My female midnight clown also made it into her TTM "tank". Below is where she'll be living for the next ~2 weeks. Each night before a transfer I siphon water from the sump into the empty tank so it can get to the same temperature before the transfer. I don't use heaters or chillers, so the sump water is slightly warmer due to the pumps and lights. She should be ich and velvet free; I've had her for around a year and she was QT'd before I got her, but I never did a true quarantine with her and am trying to do everything right with this tank.

50665975438_328245d196_z.jpg

50666801012_a24997732e_z.jpg

Also rethought my corals a bit today. I reread Spar's TTM thread and either forgot or missed the part about the 72 day fallow period for inverts. I am rethinking how I am going to do this with my current SPS that I want to keep (jedi mind trick monti, neon green monti, sunburst monti, german blue digi) as the 18g has a six line wrasse in it, a birdsnest, a chalice, and a bunch of zoas. None of those will be going into the 180.

For the fish list, my main issue is batch 2 and 3, as 5 and 6 will be last regardless. QF advised me they won't be ready to start quarantining anthias until late December, so if the anthias go in first it will be at least 2-3 months, wheras if I do the tangs first they would likely be ready withing 45 days or so, possibly a lot sooner. I've debated a lot about doing the anthias first to limit tang aggression and to allow them to acclimate in a low commotion tank. Since I'm going to be using acclimation boxes and there will only be 6 fishes in the tank if the anthias go in after the tangs, I'm not too concerned about the anthias thriving. For tang aggression, I think if I get them all small, they go in at the same time, I use acclimation boxes, and the anthias go in 1-2 months after it probably won't be a huge deal, I think...

I also should be getting the pink/purple coralline combo and 5280 pods with oceanmagik phyto on Friday.

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't made a ton of progress due to my multi tool fritzing out and work being busy, but got a few things done.

The left bookcase shell is all stained and sealed and in place with the power cords feeding into the bottom.

50684561666_2ec70deabd_z.jpg

50684637947_5e63b62de8_z.jpg

The pink/purple coralline and 5280 pods arrived from AlgaeBarn on Thursday. I added all to the tank and left all the pumps off for 24 hours. I also put about an ounce of the OceanMagik in about half a gallon of saltwater to see if it would culture today. The clown is also getting through TTM like a champ and should be going into the 180 end of next week.

50684638077_af46cacba1_z.jpg

And lastly, a very crude drawing of my plans for the canopy :). The top front crossbar was left off so that there would be ample access to the tank with the plywood lifting up completely on the rear hinges. There will be four pieces of plywood; a top, front, and two sides. The sides will be static and extend up to be flush with the top and forward to be flush with the front. The top and front will lift. That way there is a large opening when it is open and the trip will close flush with the sides.

50683801453_93c7d90211_z.jpg

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all the engineering and DIY on this build. Looks awesome!

Thank you. I'm definitely not a skilled craftsman, but I would much rather do it myself with some imperfections then have someone else do it. One of my favorite parts of this hobby is the diverse set of skills it employs.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten much done this week due to a number of issues. I spent several hours today trying to get my multi tool sorted out. The manufacturer wouldn't honor the warranty and the reseller wouldn't do anything, so I ended up having to return the whole 5 tool kit to the seller. But, I'm getting a 9 tool kit for not that much more from a much better manufacturer, so lesson learned, but worked out okay. Hopefully I'll be back in business Saturday or Sunday.

Below is the current state of the right bookshelf. Some of the acrylic sealant seeped onto the face you see when I sealed the other side, so I'm stuck until I can sand it. I tried using the tiny little multi tool paper by hand, since I don't have any other sanding options on hand, but that wasn't worth it compared to waiting a couple days.

50703349393_3354f69786_z.jpg

It also does look like the phyto is multiplying! It's a bit hard to see since I put such a small amount of phyto in a large amount of water, but it is definitely greener.

50704172662_36df2de8ae_z.jpg

My clown is also still doing well and will be going into the display on Saturday as the first inhabitant. I'm still debating whether my current corals are going to go in. I tore down the 18g and removed the ones I wanted to keep (starburst monti, green monti, german blue digi, jedi mind trick). Unfortunately the green monti looks to have died from algae smothering, and the jedi didn't want to come off the rock and ended up with two tiny little pieces from a ~2.5" radius start. The german blue digi looks okay, but all of them clearly have algae on them and I don't know that I want to even risk it with these given how bad my 18g was consumed. They're sitting in QT for now until I make up my mind.

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown went in yesterday without any issues. I tried to get a pic of her, but she is black, the back of the tank/overflow is black, and she hangs out right in the corner of the two, so it is impossible to get a pic of her that isn't completely washed out.

I finished the casing for the right bookshelf.

50715027413_b031e17c30_z.jpg

I've cut two shelves so far. The tops have been stained and gotten two coats of sealant, so will probably be tomorrow when they get installed. I still nee to figure out how many shelves and spacing. I want them to be symmetrical, which is a pain because I have a single book that is excessively tall. The shelves are going to hold books, a PS3, a Wii, games, hockey paraphernalia, and maybe pictures, so it is going to be tight.

50715764026_51ae8cd2d3_z.jpg

Below are the corals I was debating putting in this tank. This picture shows how bad the algae is, especially on the starburst monit (top) and the likely dead neon monti (left). Unfortunately, based on this picture, I think I am at the point that they aren't going into the tank. The bottom right is the fragments of the large jedi mind trick :/

50715842807_1c67ce74b9_z.jpg

Given the timing of everything currently, I am going to stick to my original plan of putting the anthias in first, barring any other issues/delays.

In good/interesting news, my Apex EB832 fixed itself! It is 2-3 years old and when I moved into my current house the first week of August it stopped working. It was giving me a voltage error and none of the outlets would switch on. Neptune offered me a slight discount to replace it, but I decided it wasn't worth it. I left it unplugged for a few months, then used it just to power my Cor-15 for a few weeks. Well, I was calibrating probes yesterday and realized the voltage warning was gone, so I tried switching an outlet on and it worked! I assume there is a good chance it will crap out again, so not going to use it for critical components, but still happy it is working again.

My parameters are all stable, but I'm struggling to keep the alkalinity up. I have the old Alk, Ca, and Mg jug mix from BRS. I've added 6 oz of the soda ash over the past two weeks and that raised my alk from 6.5 to 6.6 on a Hanna checker. I've had issues with the reagent before, so I am also testing with an API kit to verify they are close. Below are my params as of yesterday.

Alk - 6.6
Ca - 420
Mg - 1095
Nitrate - 0
pH - ~7.8
Phosphate - 0
Salinity - 1.021 with refractometer. I calibrated the Apex conductivity probe yesterday and of course it is reading ~10 points low. Currently saying 20. I remember when I first installed the Apex it rose over 2-3 weeks and then settled, so not touching it for now.

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a decent amount done over the past four days. A third of the bookshelves are done. The below will get one more shelf and then the right case will mirror it. This part is a bit slow as I put one coat of stain and three coats of polycrylic on every piece, so it is generally at least a two day process just to cut, stain, and seal.

50724714092_23c56ea2ba_z.jpg

I also started framing the canopy. In the picture below, the lights are mounted 1.5" above the tank and there is a clear dark spot in the middle. I plan to raise them to 3" once I finish framing and hope that this cuts the dark spot down enough to not bother me.

50723885563_054e637ba9_z.jpg

And, finally, I got decent enough pics to show my clown! I'm a bit worried that the flow in the tank is too high for her. She spends all day next to the gutter guard on the overflow swimming away from it. When I feed her it looks like a struggle for her to get away from the overflow and the only time she swims in the rest of the tank is when I turn the gyres and return pump off. I'm temporarily putting my gyres on 25% constant and cutting the COR-15 down to 50% to see if that has any effect, as I'm still not 100% sure she isn't just "hosting" in that corner regardless of the flow.

50723885303_a8afe24f5e_z.jpg

50724621766_1353ddedf1_z.jpg

50724708062_925e7be86d_z.jpg

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I haven't made much progress over the past couple of weeks, but did find an hour to do some work today. I cut the first pieces to skin the base. Haven't stained/sealed yet, so just dry fitting.

50768366057_c8a3d139df_z.jpg

50768247111_36b61d36c2_z.jpg

I also made some progress on the light mounting. I raised them up another 1.5", so now they are 3" off the top of the tank. I cut two of the legs and slid the long ends between the two lights as couplers and used the shorter sides on the ends. Still fiddling with it a bit and need to cut the front legs as well. My Dewalt grinder went through them like butter with lots of sparks!

50768365962_dc788becd9_z.jpg

I spoke to TSM over the weekend and they got Ignitus anthias in today! Still waiting on final confirmation, but barring any issues, I expect to get 8 delivered late January/early February.

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still moving at a snails pace, but I made some minor progress on the canopy and confirmed my anthias will be shipping first week of February!

Below is the first dry fit. I need to shave off another 1.5" or so from the top plywood. I also need to finalize the leg configuration so I can seal them and attach them. Only the bottom 2x2s are sealed and connected.

The plywood does a great job blocking light spill from the TV to the tank, so if the TV is on after the tank lights go out the tank is still pretty dark. The lights are on until 11 PM, so unlikely occurrence, but still nice.

In the second pic you can see the Apex auto feeder setup. It currently goes off a 11, 3, and 7 for my clownfish. The gyres go to 25% for the 11 and 7 feedings, but stays in random mode for the 3 feeding. During the 3 feeding, the floating pellets move to the overflow much quicker. But even with the gyres low, the b-line it for the right overflow. Probably going to add a feeding ring or something similar. I also plan to start feeding frozen food in addition to the three pellet feedings. I will likely start with LRS if my LFS carries it, then start making my own at some point.

Since the anthias, and another clownfish, are coming first week of February my current focus is screening the tank top. I'm still debating the best way to do this and how to get the canopy setup for easy maintenance. I am thinking I will route the cord for the left gyre under the center brace so that I can have a screen top cover the entire left side without any fuss. That will be the primary side I work out of. On the right side I am thinking I will cut screening around the return pipe and the gyre cords and more permanently affix it, covering the back 1/4 of the right side or so, then have a standard screen top where the back brace of the screen butts against the return pipe. Since the lights are so low, I don't think this will cause any dark spots, but even if it does, it probably won't be noticeable as it will be on the back against the black background.

Only other thing I need to do is figure out an acclimation box. I am thinking I may just make a basket out of eggcrate and have lips that rest on the top brace. I don't think the anthias will be small enough to fit through, but the clown may. So if I am super ambitious I may see if Lowe's or HD have cheap acrylic to play with, or line the inside of the eggcrate with the screen top material.

50810738036_01c1898288_z.jpg

50810737906_9681083e5d_z.jpg

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a bit of a hiatus from the holidays, I'm back to work on the aquarium. My clownfish went carpet surfing last week right before I finished putting the screen tops on. She managed to jump out of the water and over the 2x2 sitting on top, so overall close to 2.5", and through a 1.5" opening between the 2x2s. I'm guessing she flopped onto the eurobrace, then flopped over the 2x2. My anthias should be completing quarantine tomorrow, so I added a second clown to the order. I expect sometime this week to receive 8 ignitus anthias and 2 ocellaris clowns from TSM.

The screen tops are complete. The cords from the gyres make the back of the return pipe flush. It is hard to see in the pic, but I flipped up the screen on the cutout on the front of the return pipe to cover the tiny corner gaps.

50896025331_b096fb061b_z.jpg

50896025486_1a8bbcc93f_z.jpg

I also connected my dual USB fans and put one on each side. I will likely buy a second set and install two on each side. Once the canopy is finished, they will be screwed into the front of the canopy.

50895315013_332cb668ff_z.jpg

There are a lot of thunderstorms here in the summer, which causes frequent (weekly) power blips that last 20-30 seconds. I connected the lights, gyres, and USB fans to a CyberPower 1500W UPS. This is enough to keep that equipment on for ~25 minutes, which is plenty to address the small power blips. I will likely connect my wireless router to it as well, so that will probably shorten the time a bit. At some point I will likely buy a second one and connect the Apex/sump equipment to it. That way if either one fails there will still be water circulation.

50896024206_bdc54f8647_z.jpg

50895314113_5a6be1296a_z.jpg

All of my parameters are close to my targets. Below is a fun graph overlaying temp and pH. In the winter I leave my AC off and control the temperature by leaving the windows closed on days the temp is below ~70 outside and opening the windows when it is over ~70. This causes he pH to have a direct relationship to temp, instead of inverse, due to the oxygen exchange. I am still exploring options to stabilize the pH as I don't think I will be able to run a hose outside to connect to a skimmer.

50896061386_303268a227_z.jpg

More to come when my fishes arrive this week!

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week later than I thought but my anthias and clowns from TSM have arrived! Everyone arrived alive, healthy, and are out and about within minutes of going into the tank.

50932966731_cf35347953_z.jpg

50933086712_1c4d425cdc_z.jpg

OP
OP
C

clownfish4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't made any progress on the shelves/canopy, but did make a couple of videos of the fishes. Everyone is still alive and super healthy. I'm feeding five times a day and they are all eating like pigs. I spread my feedings out over 12 hours, so the first one is at 9 am and I feed every three hours with the last one at 9 pm. I feed a mixture of LRS, PE mysis, Coral Frenzy pellets, and New Life Spectrum pellets. The PE mysis is only fed at the 9 am and 9 pm feeding as these are the only two feedings that overlap the light schedule of the sump and I decided to put my six line in the sump for now. I do half a cube of PE mysis on each feeding, so 1 cube a day and usually a 1-1.5" piece of LRS at every feeding. I'm debating hatching brine shrimp and, in the future when I have coral, I'll start adding ReefRoids and Coral Frenzy powder, and of course nori when I get my tangs. I definitely see an automated frozen feeding system in my future so that I can go out again once Covid is over. Based on current usage, one pack of LRS and one pack of PE mysis should last roughly a month. Definitely going to start making my own food soonish.

There's a video below of my anthias duking it out. The morning I filmed that, my clownfish were also nipping at each other a bit. The clowns are tiny and I suspect both are immature. The tank is 6' long and each clown is maybe an inch and a quarter on a good day. Up until yesterday they were both hanging out in the top left of the tank. When I woke up yesterday they were on opposite sides of the tank and stayed like that all day. After the lights went out last night the clown on the left side was swimming along the front panel all the way back and forth. Then when I woke up this morning they were both on the right side of the tank. I've been debating putting them in an acclimation box, both to try and get them to host in my fake anemone (no real ones in this tank's future) and because I am worried about their size and my gyres. I've been manually turning the pumps on and off each day and whichever side the clowns are on I only run that pump at 25%.

Anyways, on to the videos!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back