Low Calcium, little change. ATI Essentials Pro

MrSkumfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo,

I have a 6 month old, minimal demand SPS reef; that is approximately 90 gallons.

Tropic Marin Reef Pro Parameters
(Alk 7/Cal 440/Mag 1350)

I’m having issues with low calcium. I initially started dosing 14.4 mL of Essential Pro #1 and 14.4 mL of Essential Pro #2 daily. Doses of #1 on odd hours, #2 on even hours.

My alkalinity has been very steady at 8.2. Unfortunately, my calcium has been 320. My Magnesium is 1320.

To increase my calcium; I started increasing the #2 solution and rechecking every week. My Essential Pro #1 bottle is still 14.4 mL a day and Essential Pro #2 is now 21.6 mL day.

My calcium is now only 340; however, my alkalinity is up to 9.6.
I don’t know why my alkalinity is going up when I’m dosing more of the Essential Pro #2?

I know I should be dosing #1 and #2 in equal parts; however, I don’t know what I should do to fix my low calcium levels.

I’ve checked newly made salt and the parameters match the label.

If you could give me advice; I’d really appreciate it.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My first thought would be testing issues. You mentioned you tested a fresh batch and it came out fine. Sounds like you ruled out testing. I’m not familiar with ATI. I would hold off dosing more alk since it’s continuing to rise.

Maybe someone dosing ati or other info will stop by.

I attached Ati instruction and Randy’s calc in case you haven’t seen them. The calculator can help you dose Ca to get it raised safely.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo,

I have a 6 month old, minimal demand SPS reef; that is approximately 90 gallons.

Tropic Marin Reef Pro Parameters
(Alk 7/Cal 440/Mag 1350)

I’m having issues with low calcium. I initially started dosing 14.4 mL of Essential Pro #1 and 14.4 mL of Essential Pro #2 daily. Doses of #1 on odd hours, #2 on even hours.

My alkalinity has been very steady at 8.2. Unfortunately, my calcium has been 320. My Magnesium is 1320.

To increase my calcium; I started increasing the #2 solution and rechecking every week. My Essential Pro #1 bottle is still 14.4 mL a day and Essential Pro #2 is now 21.6 mL day.

My calcium is now only 340; however, my alkalinity is up to 9.6.
I don’t know why my alkalinity is going up when I’m dosing more of the Essential Pro #2?

I know I should be dosing #1 and #2 in equal parts; however, I don’t know what I should do to fix my low calcium levels.

I’ve checked newly made salt and the parameters match the label.

If you could give me advice; I’d really appreciate it.

What exactly are you dosing?

To fix this issue make a big correction, not an increase in the daily dose. Raise it 25 ppm calcium a day based on a calculated dose. Once you get where you want, resume normal dosing (assuming you are using a reasonable two part, i cannot tell from the name you give).

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the potential for testing issues. I use Essentials Pro and have the opposite issue. Have to adjust CA dosing lower than KH to get below 450.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing essentials pro as well and have low calcium levels too. I was previously using their older 3 part for years w/ no issues. Checked my calcium yesterday and was shocked it was reading around 290ppm. Alk is fine. There are a few more people in the ATI sponsored section of R2R who have the same issue.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back