low Iron glass or save the cash & go bigger?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thoughts too. at that price what's $750 bucks. that said it does all up. need a stand sump and shipping as well.

yeah that is my thought too. it would be fine if nothing to compare it too.

I was wondering about that. do you have this? I will have to try to find some pics IDK only save a cpl hundred so might not be worth it. but its an idea for sure kinda a middle of the rd.
Ya

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(1) I think you'd always say, "I wonder if I would have liked low iron glass better?," but will never say, "I wonder if I would have liked standard glass better?" :p (2) I was in your same quandary, especially the common concern about low iron glass 'scratching more easily.' I don't want to misquote what Joe at Glass Cages told me from memory (as it was a bit technical in nature), but let's just say I went with the low iron glass. In fact I haven't caused a scratch yet-- neither with a Mag-Float, Flipper, or even a blade on a handle. But I "am" careful about zero trapped sand, and keeping a blade straight (so no gouging). So that's my 2-cent story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

PS: You mentioned a possible 10-foot tank; as a heads-up, double check to see the max. length that can be delivered to your driveway if you intend to go that route, and not have to go to the airport. Best wishes!

thanks for the thoughts.
yeah I was really thinking a 300 + for GC been talking to Joe for over a year great guy. I was gonna just such it up anf get low Iron.

so I had the "talk" with the other half she took it alot better than I thought and 1st said maybe! so I told here the plan we moved some furniture around we bought for the place the new tank was gonna go get an idea of the space. it just did not fit the other room. + the thought of another large tank in the house she really dislikes the idea, so in the end we decided ( she mostly ) not at this time.

it's OK as I still have alot to fish and coral and work to do to the 650P to get it where I want.
so I can keep the 2nd nano RFA tank I have or get a slightly bigger tank 3' rage and do either a sea horse or a planted tank I want all 3 really but time space and money you know...haha

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrr I hate you guys.
I was at peace with not having a large FOWLR until this sub forum pop up. haha

so once again I am thinking mabe just maybe I could convince the other half we need another large tank in the house last time it did not go over so well.

anyway I am looking at a 300ish tank 96x30x24.
so the question is, is low Iron worth in on FOWLR tanks? ( i would assume so ) or should I save the cash and go a bit bigger? or put it towards a skimmer/sump.

anyone regent not getting low iron glass ? it would be in the same room as a low iron glass.

thoughts?
I have a new low iron glass tank next to an old non low iron tank and I can't tell much difference between the two. Go bigger!!!

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you going to pay for all the glass (greenish color) (not low iron) to build your 96x30x24 tank.? How thick will the glasses be?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 270g from Planet only had the option of low iron on the front, the sides are standard glass. You can easily tell the difference between the two. The standard glass is not horrible, but the low iron is much nicer to look through.

Back