low Iron glass or save the cash & go bigger?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrr I hate you guys.
I was at peace with not having a large FOWLR until this sub forum pop up. haha

so once again I am thinking mabe just maybe I could convince the other half we need another large tank in the house last time it did not go over so well.

anyway I am looking at a 300ish tank 96x30x24.
so the question is, is low Iron worth in on FOWLR tanks? ( i would assume so ) or should I save the cash and go a bit bigger? or put it towards a skimmer/sump.

anyone regent not getting low iron glass ? it would be in the same room as a low iron glass.

thoughts?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is bigger bc more/bigger cool fowlr fish

and after seeing all the pics that ppl have been posted my next tank will 100% be a fowlr i totally get it now lol

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is bigger bc more/bigger cool fowlr fish

and after seeing all the pics that ppl have been posted my next tank will 100% be a fowlr i totally get it now lol

yeah I hear ya with FOWLR bigger is better. but jumping it up even a foot in lengths bumps it up about 1K

that said I have always wanted a 10'er :cool:

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the builder I am looking it's around $750 to upgrade to the Low Iron on the 8x30x24 front and both sides.

but going 9or 10 feet long would bring the price up around $1500

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the builder I am looking it's around $750 to upgrade to the Low Iron on the 8x30x24 front and both sides.

but going 9or 10 feet long would bring the price up around $1500
The smaller tank really limits your fish choices. Go big.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Low Iron will still help to see the fishes natural colors better. I didn't like the green tinted glass from marineland. It really makes the yellow and oranges, not so attractive. PBT, emperor angel, don't look their best in green glass.

But really, up to you.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the experiences people with low iron glass have, they say it wasn't worth the money. Also if I'm not mistaken, low iron glass is softer so it scratches easier.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low Iron Glass does scratch easier. I paid the extra $$$ for low iron on my 72x24x30 peninsula, and I accidentally scratched a small spot setting the rock in place. It's definitely and noticeably easier to scratch.

However, low iron on three sides of a peninsula with a 48" regular glass roughly 5-feet away on the opposite side of the walkway space... You see a huge difference in water color and clarity.

I would not spend the $$$ on low iron for just a front view tank, only if it's a peninsula and truly a room divider or centerpiece.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low Iron Glass does scratch easier. I paid the extra $$$ for low iron on my 72x24x30 peninsula, and I accidentally scratched a small spot setting the rock in place. It's definitely and noticeably easier to scratch.

However, low iron on three sides of a peninsula with a 48" regular glass roughly 5-feet away on the opposite side of the walkway space... You see a huge difference in water color and clarity.

I would not spend the $$$ on low iron for just a front view tank, only if it's a peninsula and truly a room divider or centerpiece.

my problem with this is it will be about 10' from my RS650 peninsula reef I would hate to notice one better than the other.
if it was in a room with nothing to compare it to one prob. would not notice. IDK just a thought.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing you are paying a pretty penny for that sized tank already, so, what's another $750. It does look better, but at a cost, as it's a little softer glass and can scratch a little quicker. Knowing this, and trying to prepare, the scratch factor is not an issue, as I have scratched standard glass as well. You just need to be a little bit more cautious when cleaning the glass. I have a 72x30x24 tank with Starphire glass an it is worth it, BUT, you just need to be a bit more careful cleaning it.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my problem with this is it will be about 10' from my RS650 peninsula reef I would hate to notice one better than the other.
if it was in a room with nothing to compare it to one prob. would not notice. IDK just a thought.
Yes, if you have another regular glass tank nearby, you will definitely see a difference between the two.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing you are paying a pretty penny for that sized tank already, so, what's another $750. It does look better, but at a cost, as it's a little softer glass and can scratch a little quicker. Knowing this, and trying to prepare, the scratch factor is not an issue, as I have scratched standard glass as well. You just need to be a little bit more cautious when cleaning the glass. I have a 72x30x24 tank with Starphire glass an it is worth it, BUT, you just need to be a bit more careful cleaning it.

my thoughts too. at that price what's $750 bucks. that said it does all up. need a stand sump and shipping as well.

Yes, if you have another regular glass tank nearby, you will definitely see a difference between the two.

yeah that is my thought too. it would be fine if nothing to compare it too.

I'd atleast do the front panel low iron, the rest don't matter to me.

I was wondering about that. do you have this? I will have to try to find some pics IDK only save a cpl hundred so might not be worth it. but its an idea for sure kinda a middle of the rd.

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have low iron ultra clear panels on the visible 3 panels, my tank is a regular retangle against the wall, imo it was worth every penny especially the sides because i like to sit on the sides while i play on my phone and glance through the depth of the water and rocks. I also feed on one specific side. Let me tell you it absolutely makes a difference if clarity is important to you.

my last 4 tanks have all been much more green glass eapcially in the larger ones i have had, the fish true colors are not seen. I pull a stool out stand above and look down at them sometimes and its not the same.

the fish look better. The light penetration in the room will feel more intense. Custom aquriums is where i ordered the tank from. You get what you pay for!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(1) I think you'd always say, "I wonder if I would have liked low iron glass better?," but will never say, "I wonder if I would have liked standard glass better?" :p (2) I was in your same quandary, especially the common concern about low iron glass 'scratching more easily.' I don't want to misquote what Joe at Glass Cages told me from memory (as it was a bit technical in nature), but let's just say I went with the low iron glass. In fact I haven't caused a scratch yet-- neither with a Mag-Float, Flipper, or even a blade on a handle. But I "am" careful about zero trapped sand, and keeping a blade straight (so no gouging). So that's my 2-cent story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

PS: You mentioned a possible 10-foot tank; as a heads-up, double check to see the max. length that can be delivered to your driveway if you intend to go that route, and not have to go to the airport. Best wishes!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back