kred47

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi,

so I took my water to the LFS today for a little check up and I found out my magnesium was very low. It was at roughly 1100 the guy told me. So I bought ESV magnesium and did the calculation online that said I will need about 1200mL of this stuff to get the level up to 1450. I put in 300 mL yesterday and tested the magnesium and somehow it is still only at 1110. I put another 300mL today, but now I’m getting a little nervous that this is too much. I just feel very uncomfortable putting almost a liter of supplement into the tank. Is this okay? And should the mag have risen more with the first dose? Also I do my weekly water change on sundays. Should I skip a water change this week, I don’t want to waste all of the supplement I just put in because it’s not exactly cheap.

I use Red Sea coral pro (black bucket) but I did just buy instant ocean reef crystals for the savings, haven’t done a water change with it yet.

AquaCave Logo Banner

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
You are dosing magnesium chloride, you need to also be dosing sodium bicarbonate/carbonate. If you don't you will throw off your sodium chloride balance.

Best to use water changes to get your magnesium up.

You can also get magnesium carbonate and cut it with vinegar. This has the added benefit/hazard of carbon dosing.

OP
K

kred47

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You are dosing magnesium chloride, you need to also be dosing sodium bicarbonate/carbonate. If you don't you will throw off your sodium chloride balance.

Best to use water changes to get your magnesium up.

You can also get magnesium carbonate and cut it with vinegar. This has the added benefit/hazard of carbon dosing.
Ok so I’ll just continue with my water changes for now and hope the magnesium comes up

How much of your saltwater reef tank is automated?

• Nothing is automated

Votes: 65 13.6%
  • 25% or so

Votes: 149 31.2%
  • 50% or so

Votes: 107 22.4%
  • 75% or so

Votes: 104 21.8%
  • Close to 100%

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • Totally Automated (we need proof)

Votes: 3 0.6%