Low nitates, please someone explain to me nitrates and carbon

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 1ppm Wednesday night, and 1 ppm last night. And tested today and it still tested 0 nitrate. Is it possible my tank is using that much nitrates in a day?

sure. :)

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , hoping you can advice me. I am using neonitro which says to dose using the following formula,

Tank capacity x ppm x .1261

My tank volume is 125 gallons. Last night I dosed 65ml. Which should have given me slightly over 4ppm nitrate. Tested with Red sea nitrate test kit and got somewhere between 1-2ppm. So let's say 1.5ppm. Should I assume my tank uses up 2.5 ppm nitrates a day? I think I would like to try and keep my tank around 3ppm nitrates, at least at a starting point. Should I dose another 65ml today and retest again tomorrow, and then after I reach 3ppm consider 2.5ppm my managing dose?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vary the dose over time to get to a value you want. It will drop between one dose and the next, so it matters when you test. Exact nitrate values are not critical. 1 or 3 or 5 ppm are all likely OK.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd vary the dose over time to get to a value you want. It will drop between one dose and the next, so it matters when you test. Exact nitrate values are not critical. 1 or 3 or 5 ppm are all likely OK.

Ok. As I said, I have some form of dinos, and am just trying to maintain some nitrate as s first step in correcting them. Or at least the situation that caused them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. As I said, I have some form of dinos, and am just trying to maintain some nitrate as s first step in correcting them. Or at least the situation that caused them.

IMO, maintaining a few ppm nitrate and detectable phosphate is desirable, perhaps because it allows other organisms to outcompete the dinos for something critical, such as a trace element.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, maintaining a few ppm nitrate and detectable phosphate is desirable, perhaps because it allows other organisms to outcompete the dinos for something critical, such as a trace element.

Yeah. I have discontinued GFO as my Triton test came back yesterday PO4 @ .012. Which I think is too low

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NeoPhos has similar instructions. Add Carbon if no change in numbers 24hrs after dose.
@Miller535 did you get your Nitrates to come up?

Anyone know why Brightwell recommends adding Carbon?
Boost bacteria to uptake N and P?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NeoPhos has similar instructions. Add Carbon if no change in numbers 24hrs after dose.

That instruction seems to only apply if you are trying to lower nitrate, not if you are just trying to maintain phosphate and nitrate by dosing:

"If at any time, dosing with NEOPHOS results in a prolonged increase of phosphate concentration without gradual decrease as nitrate is taken up, system is likely carbon-limited (remedied by the application of REEF BIOFUEL or KATALYST to the system). "

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so confused...where are your nitrates going if you don’t have coral in the tank? Are the dinos consuming it?

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did. It took dosing a few times the first week to even get above zero. Then it took dosing a few times a week for a few weeksto keep them around 4ppm. I then started feeding heavier and I now range between 4 ppm and 8 ppm.

I was also dosing Neo Phos at the same time. I no longer need to dose Nitrates, but I do still have to dose Phosphates a few times a week. And have been doing so for I think a few months now.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good Miller, you must have a superb bio filter to have 0 nitrates! What fish do you have to keep such low numbers?

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good Miller, you must have a superb bio filter to have 0 nitrates! What fish do you have to keep such low numbers?

Well I think I bottomed out my Nitrates from the bio pellet reactor that I was running. I have a hippo tang, a yellow tang, 3 clowns, and coral beauty. I have a lawnmower blenny also but he is a new purchase that is still in quarantine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back