Low nitrate, high phos, history of dinos

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a history of dinos due to running 0 nitrate and phosphate for too long. Fast forward 8 months and I managed to finally get the dinos under control. They're 95% gone, but there is still some in the back corners of the tank where the flow is low. In the process of getting rid of dinos, I stopped water changes, stopped nopox, and fed heavier. I've slowly started doing some small water changes again and so far, so good. My nitrates are about 5ppm (Elos) with dosing nitrate every day, but my phosphates are 0.3ppm (Hanna phosphorous ULR). Other than a small amount of GHA in the refugium and the little bit of remaining dinos in the corners, I don't have an algae issue (My army of tangs makes sure of that). So my question is, is it worth reducing the phosphate? My auto feeder accidently dumped too much food one day and my phos went to 0.5ppm. I used some phosguard and got it back to 0.3ppm, but it seems like I can't go any lower. Or do I risk bringing back the dinos by hooking up my GFO and getting my phosphate down to a more reasonable <0.1ppm or do I just leave it where it is?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a history of dinos due to running 0 nitrate and phosphate for too long. Fast forward 8 months and I managed to finally get the dinos under control. They're 95% gone, but there is still some in the back corners of the tank where the flow is low. In the process of getting rid of dinos, I stopped water changes, stopped nopox, and fed heavier. I've slowly started doing some small water changes again and so far, so good. My nitrates are about 5ppm (Elos) with dosing nitrate every day, but my phosphates are 0.3ppm (Hanna phosphorous ULR). Other than a small amount of GHA in the refugium and the little bit of remaining dinos in the corners, I don't have an algae issue (My army of tangs makes sure of that). So my question is, is it worth reducing the phosphate? My auto feeder accidently dumped too much food one day and my phos went to 0.5ppm. I used some phosguard and got it back to 0.3ppm, but it seems like I can't go any lower. Or do I risk bringing back the dinos by hooking up my GFO and getting my phosphate down to a more reasonable <0.1ppm or do I just leave it where it is?

With some dinos still present, I wouldn't try to reduce nutrients at this time.

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any harm in letting the phosphates continue to rise? Is there a point where I should say, ok time to knock it down a little. So far, all my coral seem to be totally fine with the current level.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals like food, phosphate is food for them. If you re-implement water changes you will curb the phosphates from getting too high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any harm in letting the phosphates continue to rise? Is there a point where I should say, ok time to knock it down a little. So far, all my coral seem to be totally fine with the current level.

IMO, that's an open question without a perfect answer.

This tank has phosphate of 1.24 ppm and nitrate above 50 ppm:

1612468974027.png

OP
OP
D

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back