Low Nutrient levels

brooksdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having problems with low n03 and po4. I think my bio load is too low with only 7 smaller fish and two tangs. would it be a good idea to turn my skimmer off until I get my levels back up to a detectible range ?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Do you have corals that need higher nutrients?
Feeding more can increase your numbers. Dosing can as well.
Yes, turning off the skimmer can also raise numbers, but I don't like doing that because my pH would drop too much and I worry about dissolved O2 as well.

OP
OP
brooksdw

brooksdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Do you have corals that need higher nutrients?
Feeding more can increase your numbers. Dosing can as well.
Yes, turning off the skimmer can also raise numbers, but I don't like doing that because my pH would drop too much and I worry about dissolved O2 as well.
Tank is a 120 gal and lots of corals. was thinking about just taking the cup off and letting it go.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you should try to find another way to raise nutrients other than turning off the skimmer. I would start feeding heavier and then if that doesn't work (it didn't for me) start dosing to get the levels where you want them.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 120g also, and I have to dose Nitrates (NeoNitro). Phosphates are not an issue, since I feed pretty heavy with pellets and frozen (LRS).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only had to dose nitrate also, my phosphate usually stays somewhere between .04 to .1. I went cheap and I dose a solution made from stump remover.

OP
OP
brooksdw

brooksdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 120g also, and I have to dose Nitrates (NeoNitro). Phosphates are not an issue, since I feed pretty heavy with pellets and frozen (LRS).
Over feeding didn't work for me and I am dosing neonitro and neophos on a weekly basis . I don't want to put it on a auto dose with out checking levels .

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more bioload, preferably well fed fish. IMO that's what the tank is for. Keeping fish & stuff is fun... keeping water isn't. BUT #1... make sure your testing method is accurate at low levels first. Something like a Hanna ULR (736 I think... ppb phosphorous) and at least a Red Sea or Salifert kit for Nitrate. BUT #2... don't get carried away. Add bioload slowly enough to give the tank time to react & stabilize before adding more.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try putting the skimmer on a timer also. That way you can reduce the skimming efficiency in a controlled manner until you find the right level.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just turn the skimmer off for a few hours a day and see how it goes over the course of a week? I feel like that's easier to control versus dosing and feeding more..and a tad bit cheaper.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of turning the skimmer off, just dial it down so your getting super thick, dry foam.

Skimmers don't technically removes nitrates or phosphates. What they do is to remove the organics before they breakdown into nitrates and phosphates.

Skimmers have quite a few more functions then waste removal, I would never turn mine off, but rather adjust how it skims to adjust my nutrient levels.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider adding more bio load and getting some more fish that way you are feeding more. At that point if you don't see the increase that you want then maybe put your skimmer on a timer or dial it back a bit :)

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a solution? I too am having problems with keeping nutrients, even with the skimmer turned off for days. I dos 20+ ml of neophos every day, and every evening my levels are back at zero. My corals started browning out yesterday, so I started dosing Red Sea AB+, I don't know if it will do any good. I'm good on nitrates.
I just ordered dosing containers for the neophos so I can hook it up to my doser.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a solution? I too am having problems with keeping nutrients, even with the skimmer turned off for days. I dos 20+ ml of neophos every day, and every evening my levels are back at zero. My corals started browning out yesterday, so I started dosing Red Sea AB+, I don't know if it will do any good. I'm good on nitrates.
I just ordered dosing containers for the neophos so I can hook it up to my doser.
I’m in similar situation too lol and has happened before with me being over the top trying to keep a clean tank. I’d say use a silverside and throw it in tank to muck up the water or I’ve heard using seachem flourish helps increasing nutrients

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in similar situation too lol and has happened before with me being over the top trying to keep a clean tank. I’d say use a silverside and throw it in tank to muck up the water or I’ve heard using seachem flourish helps increasing nutrients
Interesting I have never heard of seachem flourish. I will look into it.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I have never heard of seachem flourish. I will look into it.
It’s a freshwater product but I’ve have used it and it work successfully with my coral looking way more happier after running such a clean tank so I’ll end up doing it again maybe or throwing something dead in there to muck up the water. Use the flourish sparingly

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a freshwater product but I’ve have used it and it work successfully with my coral looking way more happier after running such a clean tank so I’ll end up doing it again maybe or throwing something dead in there to muck up the water. Use the flourish sparingly
I was looking into it, and I see it ups your nitrates too, but in my case my nitrates are fine, it's just my phosphates that keep going to zero every day.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into it, and I see it ups your nitrates too, but in my case my nitrates are fine, it's just my phosphates that keep going to zero every day.
Maybe broadcast feed some reef roids or throw in a silver side for fish to pick on I’m in same boat as you lol except my tank was great Friday did water change and added new bag of chemi pure and corals where immediately upset

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back