Low nutrients, algae issues, softies suffering

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g mixed reef that's been up for about 6 months. I use rodi water and Fritz rpm salt. 0 TDS 7 stage rodi from well water.

Have a skimmer that's connected to fresh outside air that's rated for 120g
In my refugium I have a marine pure black and 2 boxes of spheres and dragons breathe macro algae for nutrient export.

Having issues with patches of cyano on my sandbed as well as algae covering my sand bed. All lps, Sps and mushrooms in my tank are doing great but my zoas (utter chaos, sunny d, candy apple red, orange oxide) are struggling and slowly melting away.
I've had a couple attempts at frags of rainbow cloves but they quickly melt away also.

Current parameters are:
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 (before outbreak usually 2-5)
Phosphate 0.03
Alk 10.3
Calcium 410
Magnesium 1600

I understand my low nutrients are false because they algae is consuming them.
3 weeks ago beefed up my CUC with multiple nassarius snails, conches, emerald crab and red banded trochus to try and clean everything up naturally.

How can I raise my nutrients so my softies don't die but also get a handle on the algae throughout my sand bed?

I used to dose microbacter7 with every water change but recently stopped.
I don't want to use products such as vibrant because it will deal with my algae but further strip nutrients down hurting my softies more.

Any help is appreciated

OP
OP
T

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS and mushrooms usually don't appreciate low nutrients either, I'd be looking for a zoanthid pest - nudis or spiders.
Ya my lps are looking the best they ever have but my zoas are terrible and like I mentioned before I've bought a couple rainbow clove frags, they open up right away but short time later melt away

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back