Low PH in aquarium

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 100g FOWLR tank with a suitable stocking level and the tanks been running for about 3 months. My PH seems to be very low, either my API test kits aren’t accurate or I just have a low PH reading about 7.8-7.9… Are there any ways I can raise my PH to around 8.1-8.4? Or do I need to leave my tank alone? Any suggestions would be helpful again no corals just fish. I also have 2 eheim camisters running with a UV sterilizer and I’ve got a powerhead. The fish are healthy and eating and don’t seem to be struggling but ideally id like to have a higher PH. Thanks!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 100g FOWLR tank with a suitable stocking level and the tanks been running for about 3 months. My PH seems to be very low, either my API test kits aren’t accurate or I just have a low PH reading about 7.8-7.9… Are there any ways I can raise my PH to around 8.1-8.4? Or do I need to leave my tank alone? Any suggestions would be helpful again no corals just fish. I also have 2 eheim camisters running with a UV sterilizer and I’ve got a powerhead. The fish are healthy and eating and don’t seem to be struggling but ideally id like to have a higher PH. Thanks!
Honestly, 7.8-7.9 is not anything I would worry about in a FOWLR.
What time of day are you testing?

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, 7.8-7.9 is not anything I would worry about in a FOWLR.
What time of day are you testing?
Okay it just seems very low, also I usually test in the evening but I just decided to do a test about a half hour ago about 15 minutes after turning my lights on.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar experience recently - my tank is at about 4 months now. The freshly mixed salt water is about 8.2, but tank was consistently at 7.8ish (both measured with digital ph meter) from ~week3 to month 3. Over the last month the pH seems to have climbed back up to 7.95-8.05 range.

I’m assuming the initial dip and slow recovery have been just the tank chemistry setting up and stabilizing.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your dKH and magnesium level?

maintaining those at reef level will keep your ph at the proper level.

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar experience recently - my tank is at about 4 months now. The freshly mixed salt water is about 8.2, but tank was consistently at 7.8ish (both measured with digital ph meter) from ~week3 to month 3. Over the last month the pH seems to have climbed back up to 7.95-8.05 range.

I’m assuming the initial dip and slow recovery have been just the tank chemistry setting up and stabilizing.
Got it , I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s only true if you don’t use copper in FOWLR.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s only true if you don’t use copper in FOWLR.
What do you mean here?

Far enough I suppose corals are more sensitive to LOW ph
pH can impact speed of coral growth, but being so low that it hurts corals isn't something that's common. I'm not sure I've ever seen it even online. Many reefers don't test pH. Keep in mind that pH in our saltwater tanks is only a factor of alkalinity (carbonate hardness) and dissolved CO2.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay it just seems very low, also I usually test in the evening but I just decided to do a test about a half hour ago about 15 minutes after turning my lights on.
Your fine art that ph. Your time off testing is also at its lowest point.
If you test just before lights out you will see a higher number.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean here?

pH can impact speed of coral growth, but being so low that it hurts corals isn't something that's common. I'm not sure I've ever seen it even online. Many reefers don't test pH. Keep in mind that pH in our saltwater tanks is only a factor of alkalinity (carbonate hardness) and dissolved CO2.

if copper is used to control disease in your fish only tank, proper maintenance of dKH is needed to avoid dangerous copper toxicity problem.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if copper is used to control disease in your fish only tank, proper maintenance of dKH is needed to avoid dangerous copper toxicity problem.
I'm still not following you. Treating freshwater gamefish eggs and fingerlings with copper sulfate under different alkalinity levels? What does that have to do with pH in a FOWLR tank?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not following you. Treating freshwater gamefish eggs and fingerlings with copper sulfate under different alkalinity levels? What does that have to do with pH in a FOWLR tank?
You can do a simple research on google to see if low ph has any ill effects of copper for salt water fish.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API kits can be notoriously inaccurate. I would buy a pH tester. They are generally less than 20 bucks on eBay.

Anyway, CO2 buildup can really decrease pH as it leads to the development of small amounts of carbonic acid. This is why most sodas have very low pH. Try increasing aeration and measure pH again.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many have mentioned.... in a non stony coral tank PH isnt the most important thing. Im certain you have high levels of Co2 in your home, which will cause your PH to drop. You could use a co2 scubber to help but there isnt much benefit to this...imo.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try increasing aeration and measure pH again.
If the air you're introducing is lower in CO2, it will increase the pH in the tank.

But a lot of the time, CO2 is elevated inside your home. In that case, more aeration just introduces more CO2, so pH will drop.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fowlr tank is nothing to worry about as this has been said.

I recently bought a co2 meter with a ndir sensor and was surprised to see my indoor co2 was not too bad.
My pH is notorious for being 7.8~7.9 I found out all along it's just my CarX driving it down. I guess my point is I have a full-blown reef tank and I'm not too worried about it though I would like it higher. You have only fish so you shouldn't even be worrying about that at all.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back