Low profile led lighting options

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank with a fluval sea 3.0 light. The light sits on the rim of the tank, which has a glass lid. It’s a decent light and I’ve had coral growth with it, however compared to my AI Hydras on my other tanks the corals just dont “pop” or grow nearly as fast.

My problem is that the tank is located near my TV, so I’m trying to avoid light spill. The fluval is good for this since it sits so low on the tank. I’m not a fan of how canopies look either. Does anyone know of any better low profile led lights that could sit on the rim of the tank or the glass lid? Thanks

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I believe reef breeders are similar. I’m not familiar with the Fluval. BRS has them.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to have a tough time with this request since we’re learning that a lot of LED fixtures need to be 12”+ over our tanks.

The AI series should all have 3D printable covers. If you don’t have a 3D printer then you can have someone print it for you. I think Kessil & T5 lights are going to have the lowest mounting heights. The T5 will need LED supplements to really pop.

What corals are you growing? Another option could be the Orbit Marine lights. They’re not super powerful but a couple of those over your tank should give you the pop you’re looking for, and should be able to grow softies & LPS.

Last option for this could be to add a Reef Brite or Orphek bar to your tank to supplement your Fluval. Get the full blue spectrum and that’ll definitely add a pop.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I believe reef breeders are similar. I’m not familiar with the Fluval. BRS has them.

That reef breeders light looks nice, I wonder how low it could be mounted.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to have a tough time with this request since we’re learning that a lot of LED fixtures need to be 12”+ over our tanks.

The AI series should all have 3D printable covers. If you don’t have a 3D printer then you can have someone print it for you. I think Kessil & T5 lights are going to have the lowest mounting heights. The T5 will need LED supplements to really pop.

What corals are you growing? Another option could be the Orbit Marine lights. They’re not super powerful but a couple of those over your tank should give you the pop you’re looking for, and should be able to grow softies & LPS.

Last option for this could be to add a Reef Brite or Orphek bar to your tank to supplement your Fluval. Get the full blue spectrum and that’ll definitely add a pop.
Right now growing softies and lps, though I do plan on dabbling in sps once the tank gets a little older. I’ll check out those options you listed, thanks.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank with a fluval sea 3.0 light. The light sits on the rim of the tank, which has a glass lid. It’s a decent light and I’ve had coral growth with it, however compared to my AI Hydras on my other tanks the corals just dont “pop” or grow nearly as fast.

My problem is that the tank is located near my TV, so I’m trying to avoid light spill. The fluval is good for this since it sits so low on the tank. I’m not a fan of how canopies look either. Does anyone know of any better low profile led lights that could sit on the rim of the tank or the glass lid? Thanks
Why not just add another Fluval?
MARINE SPECTRUM LED

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just add another Fluval?
I’ve considered that, but I don’t think that would do anything to make the corals “pop”. I’m sure it would help with growth but I’d like a light that will really bring out the colors in the corals, and provide decent par. I’m not sure if just doubling the existing light would do that.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve considered that, but I don’t think that would do anything to make the corals “pop”. I’m sure it would help with growth but I’d like a light that will really bring out the colors in the corals, and provide decent par. I’m not sure if just doubling the existing light would do that.

You could pop all the lenses off and then either lower it or set it on the glass w/ some breathing room..

At low mountings you have some geometry issues to deal with.. 90 degree or less will punch light at the expense of possible more disco and less front/back coverage at top to mid levels.
Lights like the Fluval are lensed 120 degrees, better spread but less PAR at depth..

Bigger lights are designed for more space from water surface to light at 90 degrees or less.
For really full tank coverage (top/bottom, front/back) you would need 2 of whatever or 4 if puck style.
Of course it will have less blending at that short of a distance..

Cheapest thing is like 2 Mars Aqua's w/ the lenses removed or 120's put in their place but 2 channel manual spectrum control unless you get the better models that are like the sbreef one.

Doubling the Fluval may hit 80 PAR at 17" and 200-ish mid tank BUT w/ full spectrum.
The diodes and channels themselves are capable of "popping' corals w/ the pink and white dialed down (or off) but of course costs you in par.
You can test that yourself. If it doesn't could just be low par isn't stimulating a lot of pigment production.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluval-sea-marine-and-reef-3-0-review.546641/
Reefi uses reflectors so less glare but still need height.
There is one other marine LED that uses reflectors but ATM can't remember which one but again, are made to hang high.

Last edited:

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want less light spill you're basically going to have to mount lower than ideal, turn them down in intensity, and buy more of those lights for proper coverage, for any light pretty much. Ideal (but ridiculously overpriced) in my opinion would be gen5 Radions hung from the ceiling (low profile) at about 7" above the tank but plenty of good options out there, including just getting another of the light you already have... probably want to do that in this case since you're looking for something that will sit on the rim of the tank.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose I could include just adding light bars like an Orphek. Think you can request different lenses. Maybe sbreef bars as well.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna go cheap, I might suggest getting a couple of the AliE bars, just throw one on either side of the Fluval and you should have plenty of pop and extra par.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my current usa truelumen led strips from my first tank, put a blue/white one and a blue one on the glass lid next to the fluval. They’re only 36” (tank is 48”) but they seem to bring out the colors in the corals quite a bit more than just the fluval. 1st pic is with just the fluval, 2nd is with the fluval and truelumens.

8C0F7E4E-C4EE-4850-B6B3-C5AC385F391A.jpeg
D1BCC56F-E521-467C-B2B2-735356D92CFC.jpeg

I’ll get something better eventually, unfortunately I’m also limited by this ac duct located directly above the tank which means I can’t hang anything from the ceiling easily.

4BD5A9A3-9B57-46C9-909B-A7FC147E6C40.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back