Lowering my Phospates

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed my weekly parameter check and my phosphate is very high, 2.0..just placed some PhosGuard in tank and will do water change once I get my water from lfs when they open..is there anything I can use to help to keep my phospates down..I try to not overfeed my fish, seems like I am starving them..is there another reason why the phosphates would be so high? Thanks in advance.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add more control of nutrients .
id suggest a rodi system .
Water changes have little effect on phosphates
Refuge , lithium chloride , rowaphos all work but watch they don’t bottom to zero .

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at 2.5 ppm. Now I’m < .1ppm. I used water changes and GFO. I did it very slowly over summer. I have a 92 corner with an estimated 100 gallon total water volume. I started with 1/4 cup (~30 g) that was 1/4 of the recommended amount. It works VERY fast,

I also have a chaeto refugium that also helps reduce it. I took my reactor offline this week and I’m monitoring to see if I stay low.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for replying to my dilemma..ordred GFO and will take my time on lower my phosphates..TCoach, I have a small Waterbox Mini Pen 25 which is over 25 gals AIO and no place to have refugium unless I find one I can hang on back..will look around and see what I can come up with..again, thanks for assistance y'all.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is causing your phosphates to elevate? A lot of people find they have high phosphate and then 0 nitrate. Have you checked? I found my coral feeding of Red Sea AB daily was elevating my phosphate so I cut back to twice a week to keep it in check. Are you dosing any coral food that may be elevating your number?

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is causing your phosphates to elevate? A lot of people find they have high phosphate and then 0 nitrate. Have you checked? I found my coral feeding of Red Sea AB daily was elevating my phosphate so I cut back to twice a week to keep it in check. Are you dosing any coral food that may be elevating your number?
I feed Red Sea AB+ once a week and feed the fish pellets daily but only a small amount..I do feed my torch a piece of shrimp every now and then but it's only a tiny piece.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just did water check and phosphate went down some but still high 1.8 and Nitrate is 18.5.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes will lower nitrates but not do much for phosphate. Your numbers are not overly bad either. How old is the tank? How many corals because they use the nutrients to keep your numbers in balance. Others posted some good suggestions above but I've gone way more towards a natural approach and got rid of my chemical media except for a bag of carbon. Skimmer and water changes seem to work better. I did use chemipure blue initially and that bottomed out my nitrates and phosphate which caused problems. If you have minimal corals as you increase the numbers should come down but I would take simple steps to bring them down naturally not dump chemical media in to slam them down fast.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GFO which keeps my phosphate at .09 ppm but GFO more of maintains a low level , you need something first to lower phosphate like lanthium chloride then GFO to keep it low

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this seller on ebay I have one of his spinners in my sump and I am loving it! His quality I top notch so I would expect the Hang on to be good as well I got mine with out the light as I had a neptune gro I am using my cheato has never been so happy and green. I also can't keep my nitrates above 0.

OP
OP
T

tucbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your suggestions..I ordered Phosphate Rx and dosed accordingly to my tank and have lowered my phosphates and am now at .03.. as per suggestion, I also put in GFO to help maintain my levels at safe parameters..will continue to ask questions when something arises..again, thanks for all your help.

Back