Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae from your aquarium

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a heavy livestock? 15 fish in a 75G is not heavy? Feeding 10+ cubes a day is not heavy? LOL

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank 1 "easy corals" uses cheap pumps, I think an old 700GPH catalina pump for the scrubber and a 700GPH ViaAqua pump for the return.
Tank 2 "SPS corals" uses my overflow to feed the Algae scrubber, return pump I use is an eheim 1262 in a 55G sump, pictures below.

5638737141_a2826da600_z.jpg

6267306909_8569edc301.jpg

Pkunk35: Let's just agree to disagree on skimmers. I really don't feel like getting into a skimmer debate in this thread. I have seen the proof both from scientific studies as well as first hand, I know skimmers are almost pointless, but that is not to say they are harmful. If you have one, run it, if you don't have one though, no reason to buy one IMO because a small bag of ROX carbon will remove well over 80% of the bad stuff from the water, where as a skimmer is lucky to remove 35% of the same stuff, meaning carbon is over 2x better than a skimmer at removing the same bad stuff. Skimmers do help if you overfeed and want to remove the larger food particles out of the water quickly, but as long as you don't overfeed to the point your system can't handle it, then I would rather let the food move around freely in the tank as long as possible in order to feed the tank, not feed the skimmer.

I actually am more in agreement with you. I've been running a 20 gal long more than 3 years with no skimmer, prior to that a 90 gallon with no skimmer, prior to that a 45 tall with no skimmer.

but agree, this isn't a skimmer thread and I'd like to see more people's scrubber setups.

OP
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, many sps folks run scrubbers only. The extra food particles in the water really help the feeding. If you google "sps scrubber" you'll find many.

for SPS tanks other filtration methods are required (ie. some extra form of phosphate control

Actually most sps or any other tank will have zero measurable phosphate if the scrubber is strong enough, without other filters.

Please share a little more about this how dos this setup work?

If you mean a scrubber in general, it works by growing algae which consumes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, CO2 and copper. Then you scrape the algae off and through it away.

You don't "need" a skimmer, but it doesn't really hurt to have that extra bit of insurance for your tank.

Keep in mind that skimmer do not remove ammonia, at all. So if the insurance is for something big dying overnight, a skimmer provides no help.

Algae, however, loves to eat ammonia, and will consume it right away.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually most sps or any other tank will have zero measurable phosphate if the scrubber is strong enough, without other filters.
Unfortunately, myself, and pretty much everyone else on your forum disagree with you on that, and we have all done our own testing to prove that. You seem to stick to your guns about it though, even when a dozen people prove you wrong time and time again. Anyone can go to your forum and look at the threads regarding that topic. Ask Floyd, srusso, etc.. the people that have been using/building scrubbers the longest (besides you of course). Every one of them, myself included, has seen time and time again phosphates rise in a scrubber only system, while nitrates remain at 0. I just proved it again last month. If we had perfect water and the food we added was at the correct redfield ratio, I would agree with you, but we don't. Food has lots of extra phosphates added for preservation purposes, and RO/DI top of water in my area has .03 phosphates, so my "clean" water is still dirty even though I get 0 TDS and 0 EC on my water test.

If you want, I can run a phosphate test right now on my "easy" coral tank and post the results just to show you again. That tank doesn't have anything other than a 12"x10" screen for a scrubber, bigger than it needs to be, and last week when I tested phosphates they were at .39 on that system, while nitrates are still a solid 0.

So I stick to my statement, I still feel a scrubber system still requires additional filtration methods. Again, I do think a scrubber is by far the best bang for the buck, but it isn't the 1 and only perfect method for filtering a tank, especially a tank with more difficult SPS corals.

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE
If you mean a scrubber in general, it works by growing algae which consumes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, CO2 and copper. Then you scrape the algae off and through it away.
[/QUOTE]

No I know how a scrubber works. I was commenting on the design ACE25 has pictured. If the ball valves were not present it would be clear how this design was working but the ball valves suggest something a bit more complicated regarding flow through the scrubber. Does the frame pull water from the sump or allow it to exit? Is the bottom of the frame plugged and I just don't see that, if so what it the purpose of the two ball valves?

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I understand the valves make it look confusing.. the valves are mostly cosmetic. I needed a way for the water to only go upwards and not out the bottom of the frame, so the valves are always closed on the frame scrubber under normal operation. I just had the valves laying around, so I used them, but they are an expensive solution to the problem that isn't really needed if you just cap the bottom of the frame. I do use the valve near the input line when I clean the screen though.. I just turn the valve open so the water goes out the bottom instead of the slot in the top, then I can remove the screen for cleaning without water splashing everywhere and without having to unplug the pump.

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I understand the valves make it look confusing.. the valves are mostly cosmetic. I needed a way for the water to only go upwards and not out the bottom of the frame, so the valves are always closed on the frame scrubber under normal operation. I just had the valves laying around, so I used them, but they are an expensive solution to the problem that isn't really needed if you just cap the bottom of the frame. I do use the valve near the input line when I clean the screen though.. I just turn the valve open so the water goes out the bottom instead of the slot in the top, then I can remove the screen for cleaning without water splashing everywhere and without having to unplug the pump.

Ah ha I see. Thanks for the explanation.

OP
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might note that floyd increased his scrubbing power on his phosphate problem tank, and fixed the problem.

The few people you speak of are a very small sample, and, only the ones with problems go to my site. What you did not include are the over 1,000 people on the other forums that posted on my threads, saying that their N and P are zero with scrubbers only. Or, the 10,000 others on sites that I don't post on, but do read, saying the same. The few that do have problems, however, are told to come to my site to figure it out.

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SantaMonica I'd like to thank you for this post. I had been looking for an alternative to chemical filtration cheato for my 28g jbj nano. I built my own version using a jbj led fuge light.
I do have a couple question for you though. I'm going into my 5th day today and I am seeing some growth but not at the rate you have shown. I'm somewhere between your day 2 and day 3. Im thinking one reason is I already have some green hair algae issues in the display section of the tank which for now is taking up some of the readily availble nutrients but once ATS get going it will win out.

I attached some pics below. The air stone im using is probably way bigger than I need and I think it might be making really tiny air bubbles Im wondering if larger air bubbles would make a difference. Does it really matter?

Also I wasnt really sure about the duration I should be running it. You mention running a bulb for 9 hours half the normal time so I just assumed 18 hours for my LED light would be good?

I would love you hear your thought on ways I might be able to improve my configuration.

ATS1.jpg

ATS2.jpg

jbjled.jpg

So Im starting to harvest this about every 7-10 days now but am still having some algae issues in the Display section of my 28G. I had stopped using GFO when I started with the scrubber but have now added it back to the mix and cut back on my feeding.

TS2.jpg

TS1.jpg

6Speed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I have one of those JBJ nanoglos but unfortunately lost the power cord! lol I have been wanting to start up a scrubber for some time now, but have so little room under my stand..my sump is only about 5 gallons.

OP
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some UAS builds...

"Acorral" on the scrubber site:
UasAcorralOnAS-1.jpg

UasAcorralOnAS-2.jpg

"Badfish" on the RC site:
UasBadfishOnRC-1.jpg

UasBadfishOnRC-2.jpg

UasBadfishOnRC-3.jpg

UasBadfishOnRC-4.jpg

"Cmaxtian" on the scrubber site:
UasCmaxtianOnAS-1.jpg

"Deneed4spd" onthe TCMAS site:
UasDeneed4spdOnTCMAS-1.jpg

"Ewerd" on the scrubber site:
UasEwerdOnAS-1.jpg

UasEwerdOnAS-2.jpg

UasEwerdOnAS-3.jpg

UasEwerdOnAS-4.jpg

"Fishuntbike" on the scrubber site:
UasFishuntbikeOnAS-4.jpg

UasFishuntbikeOnAS-5.jpg

"FloydRturbo" on the scrubber site:
UasFloydrturboOnAS-5.jpg

OP
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“MorganAtlanta” on the scrubber site;
UasMorganatlantaOnAS-1.jpg

UasMorganatlantaOnAS-2.jpg

UasMorganatlantaOnAS-3.jpg

UasMorganatlantaOnAS-4.jpg

“Octavia-vrs” on the UR site:
UasOctavia-vrsOnUR-1.jpg

UasOctavia-vrsOnUR-2.jpg

“Othello” on the scrubber site:
UasOthelloOnAS-1.jpg

UasOthelloOnAS-2.jpg

UasOthelloOnAS-3.jpg

“OwenReefin” on the PNWMAS site:
UasOwenReefinOnPNWMAS-1.jpg

UasOwenReefinOnPNWMAS-2.jpg

“Pecker115” on the UR site:
UasPecker115onUR-1.jpg

UasPecker115onUR-2.jpg

"Cermet" on the AC site:
UasCermetOnAC-1.jpg

“Promazine” on the UR site:
UasPromazineOnUR-1.jpg

OP
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UasPromazineOnUR-2.jpg

"Bobba" on the scrubber site:
UasBobbaOnAS-1.jpg

UasBobbaOnAS-2.jpg

UasBobbaOnAS-3.jpg

UasBobbaOnAS-4.jpg

“Reefnjunkie†on the PNWMAS site:
UasReefnjunkieOnPNWMAS-1.jpg

UasReefnjunkieOnPNWMAS-2.jpg

UasReefnjunkieOnPNWMAS-3.jpg

“RkyRickstr†on the scrubber site:
UasRkyRickstrOnAS-1.jpg

UasRkyRickstrOnAS-2.jpg

UasRkyRickstrOnAS-3.jpg

UasRkyRickstrOnAS-4.jpg

“Ruddybop†on the MFK site:
UasRuddybopOnMFK-2.JPG

UasRuddybopOnMFK-3.JPG

UasRuddybopOnMFK-4.JPG

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you LED ATS gurus. The light I'm using works well for mechanical purposes but the LEDs are white not red. If I used a very thin red lens to turn the color output red should that work about the same as just using red LEDs?

LivingSeas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay so the water goes up the pipe and cascades over the screen. Are their a dozen holes drilled in the top pipe or is it a slit?
How do you attach the screen and make it removable? Where did you get the screen? So you pump water in from the
sump into this tank? I assume where the skimmer sits in the sump? You have a pump in your algae skimmer to get the
water back into the sump? Is this a low flow type situation?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmmmmmm Steve Tyree ..........is Steve Tyree and yes after seting up his sponge refugiums and whatever clever setup he has it probably works :) but we want to do thinks very efficient and long term, also not too complicated if possible. Post a link for his skimmerless tank if you please :)

I'm not completely sure what you were looking for above as it sounds like you may already be familiar with his method, but here's a link to some of Steve's stuff: DYNAMIC ECOMORPHOLOGY

Steve used to be a fairly active participant online back in the Usenet days (and I'd say I learned quite a bit from his shared experiences - man do I miss those Usenet days)....since then, AFAIK, his participation has been limited to his self-published works on that site (and stuff like this). Good stuff from what little I've seen, but it's not gotten very wide distribution as a result.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the LEDs are white not red. If I used a very thin red lens to turn the color output red should that work about the same as just using red LEDs?

No it won't work. White LED's have very litte red in them, which is what algae needs. Adding a red lens will not manufacture more red.

Okay so the water goes up the pipe and cascades over the screen. Are their a dozen holes drilled in the top pipe or is it a slit?
How do you attach the screen and make it removable? Where did you get the screen? So you pump water in from the
sump into this tank? I assume where the skimmer sits in the sump? You have a pump in your algae skimmer to get the
water back into the sump? Is this a low flow type situation?

This is a waterfall scrubber. Google "waterfall algae scrubber".

The scrubber I'm describing in this thread are "upflow" scrubbers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back