LPS and Soft corals Closed but SPS Unaffected?

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

The past few weeks or so I have been having problems with my corals not being fully opened lately. Ive been keeping an eye on my salinty as that tends to rise fast (tank is 16 biocube) but I dont think that seems to be the issue. The other strange part is my SPS, particualrly my montipora, seems to be unaffected and growing quite rapidly. I'm thinking maybe its an issue with my RODI water? I havent chnaged the cartrdges in a while and just ordered some new ones just in case. Any ideas as to what is affecting my LPS and softies but not my SPS? I havent changed my lighting in a while either, so I don't think thats the problem either.

Some tank specs -

16 gal Biocube with AI Prime Hd for lighting
Fish - 2 Clowns and a court jester goby
Corals - an assortment of soft, LPS, and SPS corals - zoas, mushrooms, hammers, acans, favia, paly, frogspawn etc.
My montipora cap and pociliopra seem unaffected, however the other corals seem to be either half or fuly closed. My rock flower anemone is also unaffected as well

I should also mention that I had to step away from my tank for a total of 6 days and came back to a mini dino outbreak, Im also thinking this might be the cause of some corals being ticked off due to high phosphate which might be coming from the poor water quality issues.

Thank you!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

The past few weeks or so I have been having problems with my corals not being fully opened lately. Ive been keeping an eye on my salinty as that tends to rise fast (tank is 16 biocube) but I dont think that seems to be the issue. The other strange part is my SPS, particualrly my montipora, seems to be unaffected and growing quite rapidly. I'm thinking maybe its an issue with my RODI water? I havent chnaged the cartrdges in a while and just ordered some new ones just in case. Any ideas as to what is affecting my LPS and softies but not my SPS? I havent changed my lighting in a while either, so I don't think thats the problem either.

Some tank specs -

16 gal Biocube with AI Prime Hd for lighting
Fish - 2 Clowns and a court jester goby
Corals - an assortment of soft, LPS, and SPS corals - zoas, mushrooms, hammers, acans, favia, paly, frogspawn etc.
My montipora cap and pociliopra seem unaffected, however the other corals seem to be either half or fuly closed. My rock flower anemone is also unaffected as well

I should also mention that I had to step away from my tank for a total of 6 days and came back to a mini dino outbreak, Im also thinking this might be the cause of some corals being ticked off due to high phosphate which might be coming from the poor water quality issues.

Thank you!
What are your parameters?
Did you increase the light? Intense light will affect soft and LPS while nems and SPS thrive under intense light.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I'd say a lighting intensity issue or change in lighting period/duration

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dquad18

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lighting changes were made, however I can try to turn them down and see if I see any results

OP
OP
Dquad18

Dquad18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after I changed the RODI filters (chanded the RO membrane, DI resin, carbon block, and sediment filter) the problem deosnt seem to be getting any better. I am going to try and get some new test kits as I haven't tested water parameters in a while (very guilty about this). Im just kinda stumped. When i've had problems in the past the SPS are usually the first to show signs of stress, yet the montis are doing better than ever. Is it a nutrient issue? is my water too clean? is that why I'm seeing traces of dinos on some of the corals? that could also explain why they are not opening fully. I'm kinda lost here, any help would be appreciated, however I undertsand its difficult to say without knowing water parameters.

Additionally I turned down the lighting a bit to see if that helped but the corals seemed unaffected by this change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back