LPS and the Fluval Marine and Reef 2.0 light- 90 gallon

Dave Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice from real people- because it seems like Fluval owns Google. All I can get is a dang commercial or store ad when I write anything about lighting levels for this light.
I have a 90- gallon that has been doing well for over 3 years. Mostly a fish only, but then, last year, I decided to try corals along with my anemones which are hosting the two clowns fine- more about them in a bit. The whole tank is home to (2) long tentacle anems, (1) rock flower anem, (2) leather corals (near the top of the tank), (4) LPS frags (3 candy canes and one star polyp), (2) Perc. clowns, and all the clean-up critters.

I fear my short-cuts on lighting may be my downfall, but I have read plenty of posts that say people have used this light with no issues as well.
calcium level seems fine and all that, so I'm wondering of the light isn't strong enough or if the corals should be higher or lower. They have been surviving, but not thriving. I added a wavemaker and it's at the opposite side of the tank so it's not blowing directly at them. They are about 3/4 high from the bottom of the tank or near the top, but could go higher. I have the light levels only on blue (the white, red, green seemed to only cause algae growth) and the blue levels stay on for almost 12 hours/day, but only max out at 50% intensity.
I had them higher, but the anems both retreated to backs of rocks and at the bottom of tank, so I thought I might be frying them with too much light.

If it's not enough light and I can adjust it on this light alone for LPS, I'm happy to do so, but just need an actual user of this light to tell me what my light levels, colors and color mix, and time schedule and adjustment for the app should be. Also, I need to add more light beyond this one, I do have an extra Fluval Aquasky light that I moved to a cichlid tank that I could move back to the 90. I turned up all lights to full (manual mode of the app) for the pics btw...
I'm about one decision short of selling it all and turning the entire system back to a large African Cichlid tank, but figured I'd reach out one last time here...

Thanks for anything..

P1320500.JPG P1320501.JPG P1320502.JPG P1320503.JPG P1320504.JPG P1320506.JPG P1320507.JPG P1320510.JPG

Reefer-Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice from real people- because it seems like Fluval owns Google. All I can get is a dang commercial or store ad when I write anything about lighting levels for this light.
I have a 90- gallon that has been doing well for over 3 years. Mostly a fish only, but then, last year, I decided to try corals along with my anemones which are hosting the two clowns fine- more about them in a bit. The whole tank is home to (2) long tentacle anems, (1) rock flower anem, (2) leather corals (near the top of the tank), (4) LPS frags (3 candy canes and one star polyp), (2) Perc. clowns, and all the clean-up critters.

I fear my short-cuts on lighting may be my downfall, but I have read plenty of posts that say people have used this light with no issues as well.
calcium level seems fine and all that, so I'm wondering of the light isn't strong enough or if the corals should be higher or lower. They have been surviving, but not thriving. I added a wavemaker and it's at the opposite side of the tank so it's not blowing directly at them. They are about 3/4 high from the bottom of the tank or near the top, but could go higher. I have the light levels only on blue (the white, red, green seemed to only cause algae growth) and the blue levels stay on for almost 12 hours/day, but only max out at 50% intensity.
I had them higher, but the anems both retreated to backs of rocks and at the bottom of tank, so I thought I might be frying them with too much light.

If it's not enough light and I can adjust it on this light alone for LPS, I'm happy to do so, but just need an actual user of this light to tell me what my light levels, colors and color mix, and time schedule and adjustment for the app should be. Also, I need to add more light beyond this one, I do have an extra Fluval Aquasky light that I moved to a cichlid tank that I could move back to the 90. I turned up all lights to full (manual mode of the app) for the pics btw...
I'm about one decision short of selling it all and turning the entire system back to a large African Cichlid tank, but figured I'd reach out one last time here...

Thanks for anything..

P1320500.JPG P1320501.JPG P1320502.JPG P1320503.JPG P1320504.JPG P1320506.JPG P1320507.JPG P1320510.JPG
I have the 3.0 version that came with my Fluval 32.5g tank. Here’s a pic of my lighting schedule. Everything in my tank is doing great

BB12444D-7E36-4463-8B99-658E9FD947DD.png

OP
OP
Dave Thomas

Dave Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 3.0 version that came with my Fluval 32.5g tank. Here’s a pic of my lighting schedule. Everything in my tank is doing great

BB12444D-7E36-4463-8B99-658E9FD947DD.png
Thanks so much---- how high up or low to the substrate are your corals?

Reefer-Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much---- how high up or low to the substrate are your corals?
Id just put them all at low level for now and adjust your lighting how you want it and then leave them there for a while. They will adapt and you can slowly move them up if you want

Reefer-Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id just put them all at low level for now and adjust your lighting how you want it and then leave them there for a while. They will adapt and you can slowly move them up if you want
I’m not the MOST experienced though so hopefully someone else will chime in. I just happen to have the same model light as you and my schedule is working well for me currently. Everything open and happy

Back