LPS Corals: Are they your "thang" and which ones do you like best?

How many LPS corals do you have in your tank?

• None

Votes: 88 9.9%
  • Very few

Votes: 209 23.5%
  • Quite a few

Votes: 300 33.8%
  • I have a lot

Votes: 133 15.0%
  • LPS Dominate Baby!

Votes: 146 16.4%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 12 1.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yesterday we talked about soft corals and today it's all about LPS corals!

Today it's all about those large fleshy polyp hard corals that will reach out and touch someone with those long sweeper tentacles! I know they very in size and structure but I like to refer to some of my favorite corals as "fatty lps." :p It's hard to find someone who doesn't like at least one type of LPS coral! So let's talk about them today!

1. What's your favorite LPS coral? Get specific and share a photo if you have it!

2. What are your pros and cons to LPS corals?

@jourdy's 90g Mixed Reef
1.jpg

@kirbaay's 70g LPS Dominate
w2w2.jpg

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. There's soooo many to choose from. My favourite is acanthophyllia (meat coral) - especially the colourful ones! I am also a huge fan of blastos and acans (esp Bowerbankii) and torches .... ahhhhh so many!!

2. Pros: They tolerate and thrive in low levels of nitrates, and can be fed which is fun to do! Cons: Some don't tolerate bright light so difficult to keep with SPS and anemones, can be nip'd by some angels :)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not happy this question was asked... I always thought of myself as an sps guy but before I answered I counted. I have more lps than sps. I guess I am a closet lps guy.

14 LPS
11 SPS

Last edited by a moderator:

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all corals. I’m planning on having quite a few LPS in my reef. My favorites are frogspawn, blastos, Favia, favites and cyphrastria

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS are my absolute favorites. My favorite in my tank is my wall hammer colony that essentially tells me how my system is doing without ever picking up a test kit. I'm proud to have kept a wild caught wall hammer alive this long!

IMG_20200427_141451.jpg

My dream coral is an elegance, as I've seen a few huge ones that were about the most gorgeous thing I've seen in a reef. Need to work on getting one of those...

ACReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we talked about soft corals and today it's all about LPS corals!

Today it's all about those large fleshy polyp hard corals that will reach out and touch someone with those long sweeper tentacles! I know they very in size and structure but I like to refer to some of my favorite corals as "fatty lps." :p It's hard to find someone who doesn't like at least one type of LPS coral! So let's talk about them today!

1. What's your favorite LPS coral? Get specific and share a photo if you have it!

2. What are your pros and cons to LPS corals?

@jourdy's 90g Mixed Reef
1.jpg

@kirbaay's 70g LPS Dominate
w2w2.jpg
I really like Blastos and hammers, the pros are the colors and movement and they are hardy. No cons for me.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a couple chalice and euphyllia currently in a temp tank, mainly in part to it being heavily populated with SPS. Once the current build for SPS dominated tank and frag tanks are done, I'll be working on a LPS only tank.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my euphyllia, any and all of them find a place in my tank I just love the asthetic of them swaying around all happy. Cons... They sting other coral and limit certain stock as you don't want to have them become food.

Bdroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love torches and chalices but haven’t had any luck keeping a chalice...Hopefully I will figure it out soon

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love torches and chalices but haven’t had any luck keeping a chalice...Hopefully I will figure it out soon
Torches will adapt to much higher light and flow than most other LPS, if your having success with them I'd suspect all other parameters are generally ok for lps keeping but maybe your light or flow is a bit much for chalices. Good luck!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back