LPS release sting in the water - cause SPS dead??

syedjilani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

By God willing we have one new only LFS opened last Thursday.:bigsmile: the owner is German guy.
:squigglemouth:He made me confuse when he said "cannot keep LPS and SPS together, because LPS release sting in the water, which cause dead of SPS as a result" I have no knowledge about that..:sad:..what you guys says.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any issues keeping both. Chemical warfare between corals is common but with modern filtration methods shouldn't really be too big of an issue. I think leathers and zoas put out more toxins than LPS.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of that problem with LPS and SPS before. You can have issues with some algaes and some soft corals releasing chemicals into the water that stunt the growth of other corals.

CJ

Surf&turf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty good sized frogspawn that will release a stinging nematocysts every once in awhile. What ever it lands on, it will sting pretty bad.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sps won every time they fell on a lps... Even had Joe the coral sting a acan enchinata...I was totally shocked... As long as you give them space your fine, I think he is referring to sweepers that lps put out that can sting a acro if it's within reach...

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all types (SPS, LPS, Soft, Zoa, NPS) in mine with no issues. They do have some warfare, but as stated it is typically fine as long as they don't touch directly...

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Troy. I have a Garf Bonzai that when it fell into Hollywood Stunner, it killed that part of the Stunner. When the Stunner put out its sweepers, it burned that part of the Bonzai.

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a piece of Sunset Watermelon echinata that ate a nice size mummy eye chalice, 3 frags of sps (tort, plana, and a monti), and also half of two acan colonies.
i actually caught it with its stomach spewed out over the acan colonies......so if there is something close enough to it and its hungry yes it could be a problem

otherwise ive had leathers, and other LPS in the same tank with no problem....so while problems can happen overall i think its fine as others have mentioned.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard something similar to the story you tell. I've heard some corals, like the bubble corals (genera Physogyra and Plerogyra) will release their sting (nematocysts) in the bag during shipping. If this water is added to the tank (it shouldn't be anyway) the nematocysts will sting whatever they contact without the coral actually touching another coral, causing the death of SPS and other corals. Maybe they meant something like this? You can certainly keep LPS and SPS in the same tank.

Surf&turf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard something similar to the story you tell. I've heard some corals, like the bubble corals (genera Physogyra and Plerogyra) will release their sting (nematocysts) in the bag during shipping. If this water is added to the tank (it shouldn't be anyway) the nematocysts will sting whatever they contact without the coral actually touching another coral, causing the death of SPS and other corals. Maybe they meant something like this? You can certainly keep LPS and SPS in the same tank.

This is my frogspawn does, free floating in the tank till it lands on something.

Back