LR worm ID? Finally got it on cam!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to get a decent pic of this guy but he's fast and only comes out after lights off or very dim. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a bobbit worm? Is my tank doomed? Is it going to lay eggs inside of me that consume me from the inside out?

IMG_20220124_004352213.jpg

IMG_20220124_004355909~2.jpg

Also what are these? I have them everywhere, and one just popped up next to a zoa on my sand bed rubble.
IMG_20220124_004713539~2.jpg

Thanks!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to point out that on the rock next to this, I've seen either the same worm or another one, and also that rock mysteriously spews out debris occasionally, but I don't hear any clicking. Anyone have a hypothesis?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is t working on my phone, but is the work smooth?

As for the last pic, looks like mini brittle star/mini serpent stars

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the worm, but the tentacles look like they might just be a brittle star.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the worm, but the tentacles look like they might just be a brittle star.
Could I really have so many? They are all over the rocks. Mostly 3, but sometimes 2 or 4 "fingers" sticking out of cracks or barnacle shells.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is t working on my phone, but is the work smooth?

As for the last pic, looks like mini brittle star/mini serpent stars

Would this work?

I cannot tell how smooth it is because it is so thin, but it does seem to have some texture or striations.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked for me. I’ve seen those worms before (the characteristic retraction) but I can’t remember what they are called

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I really have so many? They are all over the rocks. Mostly 3, but sometimes 2 or 4 "fingers" sticking out of cracks or barnacle shells.
there definitely could be that many. My nano has a quite a few under ever frag single plug. If your seeing “fingers” I’d definitely guess brittle star

Sharlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know people panic when they see worms in the tank, and that panic can ramp up to 10 when they see the worms crawl with legs. Luckily, this little guy is a Dorvilleidae worm. They are good guys. They'll see them wander about sometimes, and they love to hide in Magfloat velcro.

The other part is Micro Brittlestars. they're derpy little guys, and when they reach out for food they can look like worm clusters, but they're just neat little Macro fauna.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know people panic when they see worms in the tank, and that panic can ramp up to 10 when they see the worms crawl with legs. Luckily, this little guy is a Dorvilleidae worm. They are good guys. They'll see them wander about sometimes, and they love to hide in Magfloat velcro.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure; OP's worm seems too squishy (almost like a Medusa worm without the tentacles) and not very "centipede-like," unlike the Dorvilleidae. I've actually seen both in my planted marine tank and they both seem harmless.
The other part is Micro Brittlestars. they're derpy little guys, and when they reach out for food they can look like worm clusters, but they're just neat little Macro fauna.
I couldn't agree more!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I'm not so sure; OP's worm seems too squishy (almost like a Medusa worm without the tentacles) and not very "centipede-like," unlike the Dorvilleidae. I've actually seen both in my planted marine tank and they both seem harmless.

I couldn't agree more!

@Sharlow good point here by @WheatToast . From the Dorvilleidae pics I've been able to Google, my worm looks a bit too smooth. Not seeing the prominent bristles, or else they are too transparent in this little specimen(s). Also not quite looking like a chaetopterid or spionid...

Most important for me is knowing if it is a potential predator.

Thank you both for looking!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut worms only eat leftovers. May be more active during feedings but otherwise will eat settled waste that accumulates in dead spots and little holes in the rocks.
Music to my ears! I'll leave these guys be and keep an eye on them of they grow bigger. Thanks!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more footage of this worm. It is very long!! I can't get a good clear view of the head, but it appears to be poking around the live rock. Looking for detritus? Can you trap a worm like this? It seems to prefer to stay anchored inside of the rock and just extend outward.

IMG_20220130_235349491.jpg

Length:

Poking around:

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it retract into the rock? If so looks like a peanut worm. Harmless. Not sure how to remove anyways. Population of such critters scales to overfeeding basically. If you don't want them, feed less and make sure there's not much waste food that the fish don't catch.

Back