LRS "Reef Heat" Hot Sauce..... What?!

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
This post isn't my usual forum post about fish foods or aquariums but I wanted to see if any of our R2R friends have other hobbies around cooking, gardening, grilling or canning. If anyone follows me on Facebook you already know I post weekly pics about me cooking BBQ, brisket, seafood or steamed crabs. I love to cook, especially for gatherings with friends. This Summer we planted almost 50 pepper plants and I had bushel baskets of habanero, ghost and jalapeno peppers, as well as others. So I had an idea to google recipes for homemade hot sauce and came up with a pretty good mix of ingredients. Friends on Facebook witnessed what was transpiring and continued to ask questions to learn more about the process and I was enjoying this new hobby. I picked up a digital PH meter to make sure each batch is shelf stable and safe. Each bottle was sterilized and sealed at the proper temperature as well. All of that, including a how-to video are on my public FB profile from a couple months ago. We started having so much fun with it that I even had labels printed. The name "LaVern's" is a combo of my name and my wife's name, Veronica. We made up about 100 bottles thus far and everyone has been really pleased with the flavor. It is a great blend of peppers, peaches, pineapple, brown sugar, lime juice, etc. and has a "sweet hot" flavor. I like spicy foods, but some have said the level of heat is hotter than they like, while others have said it's perfect.

As an entrepreneur I even contacted the FDA to see about the feasibility of selling some hot sauce directly to my retailers as a novelty gift item. The sad reality is that with hundreds of retailers in our network even if 50-100 said "Sure send me 3-5 bottles to try!" we would be backordered for weeks. The amount of re-orders would likely be crippling with our current production methods. We really don't have time to pursue a co-packer or other methods to bring this to market so now it remains an item we can give to friends and family. In addition our new 2800 square foot LRS distribution building was recently completed so we've been busy with our "real" food business. Anyhow, if you've read this far thanks for your interest and if anyone wants to share their passion for cooking or gardening feel free to post. Thanks as always to the great folks on R2R!

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg

OP
ReefFrenzy

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
This is awesome! I love hot sauce but ghost pepper might cross the line for me. :D
It’s not to bad, we only add about 3-4 per batch. Maybe I can work out a way with the Rev to do a giveaway on R2R so a few folks can try it out!

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
This post isn't my usual forum post about fish foods or aquariums but I wanted to see if any of our R2R friends have other hobbies around cooking, gardening, grilling or canning. If anyone follows me on Facebook you already know I post weekly pics about me cooking BBQ, brisket, seafood or steamed crabs. I love to cook, especially for gatherings with friends. This Summer we planted almost 50 pepper plants and I had bushel baskets of habanero, ghost and jalapeno peppers, as well as others. So I had an idea to google recipes for homemade hot sauce and came up with a pretty good mix of ingredients. Friends on Facebook witnessed what was transpiring and continued to ask questions to learn more about the process and I was enjoying this new hobby. I picked up a digital PH meter to make sure each batch is shelf stable and safe. Each bottle was sterilized and sealed at the proper temperature as well. All of that, including a how-to video are on my public FB profile from a couple months ago. We started having so much fun with it that I even had labels printed. The name "LaVern's" is a combo of my name and my wife's name, Veronica. We made up about 100 bottles thus far and everyone has been really pleased with the flavor. It is a great blend of peppers, peaches, pineapple, brown sugar, lime juice, etc. and has a "sweet hot" flavor. I like spicy foods, but some have said the level of heat is hotter than they like, while others have said it's perfect.

As an entrepreneur I even contacted the FDA to see about the feasibility of selling some hot sauce directly to my retailers as a novelty gift item. The sad reality is that with hundreds of retailers in our network even if 50-100 said "Sure send me 3-5 bottles to try!" we would be backordered for weeks. The amount of re-orders would likely be crippling with our current production methods. We really don't have time to pursue a co-packer or other methods to bring this to market so now it remains an item we can give to friends and family. In addition our new 2800 square foot LRS distribution building was recently completed so we've been busy with our "real" food business. Anyhow, if you've read this far thanks for your interest and if anyone wants to share their passion for cooking or gardening feel free to post. Thanks as always to the great folks on R2R!

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg
Now I'm craving something spicy! I love spicy food;Drool

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks good! I love spicy food but not so spicy it's painful.

Some of the Hot Ones videos are pretty entertaining.

TheShrimpNibbler

View Badges
Reaction score
It’s not to bad, we only add about 3-4 per batch. Maybe I can work out a way with the Rev to do a giveaway on R2R so a few folks can try it out!
That sounds like a great idea! I’m itching to try it out now;Drool;Drowning. Maybe you could do something like having people post a video or pic of their fish eating lrs to enter!

Mastiffsrule

Some Scott’s lead, others follow
View Badges
Reaction score
This reminds me of Puckerbutt. They’re out of SC.

Always room for a good hot sauce. If friends and family are loving it, I would find a commercial kitchen and some help to start producing bigger batches. You can always make a mild and hot version. For me hot sauce is about heat, but it has to have flavor and not just heat.

I’ll take a 1/2 case. Just make sure the label says not for aquatic use.

OP
ReefFrenzy

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
This reminds me of Puckerbutt. They’re out of SC.

Always room for a good hot sauce. If friends and family are loving it, I would find a commercial kitchen and some help to start producing bigger batches. You can always make a mild and hot version. For me hot sauce is about heat, but it has to have flavor and not just heat.

I’ll take a 1/2 case. Just make sure the label says not for aquatic use.
Believe me we looked into producing it with a co-packer. With LRS growing as fast as it is we don't have enough hours in the day. We are adding more fish food lines to our distribution arm so we have to focus on where the real bread and butter is. Selling bottles of hot sauce would be cool and fun, but selling pallets of frozen fish food is what pays the bills, especially when it's food we don't have to manufacturer here. ;)

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How about a package offering? I'd like one of those fleece sweaters I saw last you you offer as a prize I think last year. It sure looked warm :) Hot sauce, well, also sounds comfy and warm. I'd be willing to do both just name the price or pass me a number to stand in line. Oh - or how about picking a charity and have a raffle? Put a couple of them together and let us buy tickets for a good cause? Holidays are near. Families probably could use some food or help with gifts. Whatever you think charity wise - I'm all in.

Could always treat the ingredients similar to boutique wine makers. They have to selectively source their grapes from others and only make small batches. With small comes a price of course but sometimes there are some really great cabs that are worth the price of drinking a Gem Tang... Especially with a good meal.

One thing I have done lately since I just came off a heavy travel year is find a location to visit on my return home for a couple days. Ask a near by friend to meet me and see the sights and sounds of the cities. I was in Paris last year with a couple friends. One who lived there. Anyway I asked them for directions to a good small mom and pop type restaurant for a home style meal.

He recommends one. We visit. Not much English nor me much French. Anyway we talk, drink some wine, they bring me back to the kitchen and she makes me an amazing dish off the menu. Four cheese, fresh mind you, along with fresh cream. Pasta. Bread, and of course WINE ;) One of the top three meals I've ever had and thrown together in a matter of minutes by her just looking, selecting, and cooking. I've had similar experiences in Denmark and India. Talking to the owner for a bit and breaking bread. Some of the best experiences I've had.

Side note - thank you to you and yours for doing what you do. Taking a chance. Supporting the hobby. Always amazed at people who can do this or are willing to. Sometimes I just sit there and ask myself how or what makes them successful. Maybe something simple as if someone closes a door in front of you - you just find another.

Best to you!

OP
ReefFrenzy

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Side note - thank you to you and yours for doing what you do. Taking a chance. Supporting the hobby. Always amazed at people who can do this or are willing to. Sometimes I just sit there and ask myself how or what makes them successful. Maybe something simple as if someone closes a door in front of you - you just find another.

Best to you!
Larry - I like what you are doing with this! Sometimes experimenting in related spaces helps you innovate and improve the original product!
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement!

Do you run TWO return pumps for redundancy and to be safe? (check all that apply)

• Yes I run two return pumps..

Votes: 123 22.1%
  • No it's a waste..

Votes: 64 11.5%
  • No but I would like to..

Votes: 133 23.9%
  • No but I have a spare return pump...

Votes: 267 47.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors