"Lucas Lagoon" Red Sea Reefer 350

GatorDoc70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Named for my youngest son (17 months) and my daily tank maintenance supervisor, Lucas Lagoon is my little piece of bringing the sea into my home. What started as a used 60 gallon aquarium using an Ehiem canister filter for filtration in September 2017, evolved into a Red Sea Reefer 350 in September 2019. To say that there weren't headaches and days I was ready to throw in the towel and get out of the hobby would be an understatement. After upgrading I ran into an issue of ich and Brooklynella that took out my livestock. After a 90 day blackout period and adding a new cuc and livestock, I had to take a travel job to Reno, a 6 hour drive from my home in Las Vegas. I thought that this would be a great plan and had my daughter (23yo) to ensure that the fish were fed and the ATO was topped off, ended in more issues with a serious dino outbreak. My plan had been to travel on the weekends to do tank maintenance and water changes, but COVID-19 had other plans, as I work in the healthcare field. I was able to get my LFS to come over twice a month to do my water changes and other routine maintenance, but even after my 90 day travel job, I felt I couldn't get the aquarium back from the brown wasteland it looked like. I was so distraught over the look of the tank, that I actually was ready to let it go, and tear it down. Alas I finally decided to do a huge water change and get clean everything up actually with plans to sell what I had and walk away. Well once I had the water change under control and saw a huge drastic improvement, the brown dinos were gone and the tank looked clean again, I decided to give it another go and keep up on a maintenance schedule that has paid off. I have a zoanthid colony that has blown up, and I have recently been adding other corals to the aquarium, and much to my surprise they are actually looking nice and growing, something I had an issue with using the old canister filter. I am actually happy with the looks of everything and look forward to watching the corals grow and color up (this has been the hard part as I am impatient and want instant growth, something I know I need to wait for and just keep my parameters in check). So below is the equipment and some pics of my small piece of the sea. Thanks for reading, and look forward to adding to this thread as things change and grow.

Equipment: Red Sea Reefer 350, Vortech MP40 powerheads (2) set on the side panels and offset, Vectra S2 return pump, Red Sea LED 90 lights (2), Magus Bubble S Curve protein skimmer. Planning on adding an apex and Trident tester to the system later this year or early next year. I have also added a pic of the IM Lagoon 25 that I was thinking of making into a small reef, but am now rethinking this as maybe a frag tank down the road.

IMG_5444.JPG IMG_5445.JPG IMG_5437.JPG IMG_5446.JPG IMG_5447.JPG IMG_5448.JPG IMG_5449.JPG IMG_5450.JPG IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5452.JPG IMG_5453.JPG IMG_5454.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great and cute little buddy you have there!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back