Lumpy powder blue tang

jmathia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a powder blue tang in quarantine (retired 55gal, hence the rocks etc). Currently ramping up copper power. Just finished a bout of General cure (2 doses) plus Furan-2 (3 doses) and Kanaplex (3 doses) for a bacterial infection prior to starting the copper power. Powder blue eating well, acting nicely. But has a lumpy body. Don’t think it’s parasites since I just did all the dosing mentioned. Curious if anybody else has seen this before. He’s fast so the videos stink. TIA.

Attachments

• 64246508408__B5AC4C47-58A2-4C20-928E-433DD570AEC7.MOV
    2.8 MB
  • IMG_7429.MOV
    22.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Really tough to see in the video, but do you mean the lumps in its abdomen and along the lateral line? If so, that is emaciation, the fish is really thin. When fish get like that, their internal structures show through. You'll need to feed it as much as it will eat, multiple times a day (keeping close eye on the ammonia level though!).

I can't tell, is the substrate in your tank coral-based/calcium? If so, it will tend to absorb your copper medication and that can be an issue, both with having to constantly monitor and re-dose, but also, the gravel then holds the copper and can release it later on (like if the pH drops). You do need to run a copper treatment though, since this species is very prone to ich.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jmathia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Really tough to see in the video, but do you mean the lumps in its abdomen and along the lateral line? If so, that is emaciation, the fish is really thin. When fish get like that, their internal structures show through. You'll need to feed it as much as it will eat, multiple times a day (keeping close eye on the ammonia level though!).

I can't tell, is the substrate in your tank coral-based/calcium? If so, it will tend to absorb your copper medication and that can be an issue, both with having to constantly monitor and re-dose, but also, the gravel then holds the copper and can release it later on (like if the pH drops). You do need to run a copper treatment though, since this species is very prone to ich.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I know he’s thin but doing much better than when I got him. He eats three times a day and is gaining weight so I’m figuring it’s just food, than. In regards to the gravel and copper, I know it’s not great to have the gravel (not calcium/coral based) but also have a gold face goby who is enjoying the substrate and quarantining with the pb tang and fox face. I am checking copper daily and have the seachem ammonia patch monitoring with water for a change at the ready, if needed, so feel comfortable with that set up but appreciate the cautionary warning. I’ll keep a close eye on pH as well. Thx again.

Flaglerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I QT wrasses or gobies that require sand I normally just scoop a small bowl from my DT and place the bowl in my QT. Never return that sand to my DT though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back