OP
OP
Personal Reef

Personal Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! So cool to hear you work in a coral parasite lab. Do you mind me asking how you got that job? Sounds like a dream come true.
I'm an undergrad student actually. I basically walked into the lab owner's office and started talking about velvet. It's not a career for me, it just goes towards my degree. Without getting too specific we basically send single-cell transcriptomes from photosynthetic parasites to get sequenced then run bioinformatics on the sequences to determine phylogeny. It's mostly data analysis but we have coral tanks and some of the team go around the world diving for coral to bring back. The endoparasites are found in wild-caught or mari-cultured coral but disappear after being kept in an aquarium for a few months, not entirely sure why. We also don't really know how they affect the coral. I'm focusing on Amyloodinium and Cladogonium (freshwater), but again I'm not a parasite expert. I have been reef keeping for a long time though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back