Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) Flooring with Large Tank??

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every material expands and contract but none worse than real wood. Tanks are fine on real wood floors, and the wood in the stands. Tanks are fine on concrete which also expands and contracts a bit. The steel for the stand expands and contracts with the temperature. Tile. You name it. In the end, you are fine so just go for it.

I think you misunderstood the concern. It isn’t for the tank/stand, it’s for the flooring.

It may buckle near the tank, or some distance away and/or be damaged not the other way around.

Again, it may not happen, but there is a risk of seam disruption in the flooring or worse as a result of the tank weight restricting movement.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was that why would vinyl plank be of concern when real wood is more likely to expand and contract and nobody has issues with it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company we bought it from spoke to an engineer at the company than manufactured ours before we paid for it.
If installed per the requirements stated for installation it would be fine and fully covered by the warranty.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company we bought it from spoke to an engineer at the company than manufactured ours before we paid for it.
If installed per the requirements stated for installation it would be fine and fully covered by the warranty.
Any specifics for the install? I spoke with the manufacturer of my flooring company as well and they seem to say it would be OK.

But many of these posts have me concerned, because I think they make sense

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had a pergo laminate floor ( floating ) under a 180 to 240 gallon tank for nearly 25 years and saw no buckling or any other issues.
The floor can moving in all other directions if needed.
I've had a 60+ gallon tank sitting on another brand of floating floor for about 15 years with no visible issues.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If posts by random people on the internet have the same credence as a flooring manufacturer what can I say.
I got what I wanted.
IMG_3901-M.jpg

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reiterate my initial response, it will in all likelihood be 100% fine. The question was is there any concern, the answer is yes, there is the possibility the of poor performance and that varies based on the product and installation.

As practice in the construction field, we do not put floating floors under cabinets, or specifically islands with heavy stone counters, thus eliminating any risk of a failure in that regard.

Vzsgzsas1z29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the legs of heavy furniture are too thin and sharp, they will leave a mark on any coating. In this case, it is recommended to use special pads on the legs to increase the area of the contact spot with the floor covering.

Vzsgzsas1z29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the legs of heavy furniture are too thin and sharp, they will leave a mark on any coating. In this case, it is recommended to use special pads on the legs to increase the area of the contact spot with the floor covering.
If the legs are pretty standard, then the dents on the vinyl tile do not remain or are restored over time. Due to its dense structure, the Vinyl coating does not allow changes in geometric dimensions. However, if you are still unsure about choosing a floor for a room with an aquarium, I advise you to read an article with cheap flooring ideas.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back