LVReef's CDA 225 gal 72x30x24 tank upgrade!

OP
OP
LVReef

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard for me to know what exactly they will ship you but I've attached pictures of what I had and what Modular Marine sent me as a replacement. It's a bit hard to see on the picture but the sheen on the installed bulkhead is duller than the one on the new bulkhead. The plastic on the thread looks (and feels) older.
The bulkhead I originally got were pretty dirty with dust caked on so I can see that they weren't stored properly but I didn't think it would matter that much...

Attachments

• IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
LVReef

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been making slow progress.
Modular Marine had to send me new bulkheads.
I had to replace them all and order new unions
Then there were some leaks at joints; probably because I didn't use enough glue on 1.5" pipes. I've fixed that.
Now I have a small leak between the overflow and the tank. It doesn't leak when the pump is off but leaks when the pump is on. I'll need to remove the overflow, reclean the gaskets and pray? I also have some silicone lube for union gaskets; I wonder if this would help?

IMG_4980.jpg

OP
OP
LVReef

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the overflow and scraped some paint around the holes. Cleaned everything with alcohol and tested the system again with freshwater. After 45 minutes, there was a tiny leak again. I wonder if it's related to the pipes not being supported between the overflow and the sump. I'll get some wood and support them this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_4987.JPG
    IMG_4987.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4988.JPG
    IMG_4988.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 54

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you end up supporting your plumbing? This is the task I’m trying to work on today. It’s tricky with the amount of wood visible on the back. I plan to use split ring galvanized pipe clamps on threaded rod to galvanized ceiling flanges. Just struggling for the best way to secure those flanges to the powder coated stand. May just use self tapping screws and silicone to seal them from rust.

OP
OP
LVReef

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back! 2022 has been terribly busy and I did way less progress than I had hoped but that's in the past and I'm ready to continue!

The tank has been running with freshwater for a week now and I have no leaks. I'll post pictures of the plumbing system and my electric cabinet a bit later.

I'm currently doing the aquascape and could use some feedback. I have a mix of Marco rocks, shelves, and foundation rocks. I watched the BRS videos twice and looked at pretty much every tank journal for the past 2 years. I have a few specific questions as well:
  • Am I not putting enough rocks? I have a lot of spares.
  • The rocks have been curing in RODI for 1 year but I'll need to clean them off after I glue and epoxy them. I think the middle structure won't fit in my brute trash can. Can I rinse it off with RODI?
  • Feedback on the temporary design? Right now, only gravity and friction holds the pieces together but I'd like to start gluing tomorrow.
IMG_5583.jpg
IMG_5584.jpg
IMG_5585.jpg

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank as you and went very light on rock. While I love the look of it for coral and believe one day it will be very full, right now it’s very hard on my fish. There is more aggression than I believe they should experience though none have been too beaten up beyond the bottom rung Pyramid butterfly of the three who is a bit ragged though healthy. That’s all to say that while it works with lots of negatove space it’s limiting on fish.

OP
OP
LVReef

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good idea. I'm planning on creating a few "caves" in the right and middle sections but perhaps adding a bit more rocks will help. I'll work on that tonight

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for rinsing off glue and epoxy I don’t think it’s all that important. I put glue and epoxy right in my tank all the time. It’s pretty inert. A rinse with a splash from a bucket or two isn’t a bad idea though. Can’t hurt!

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LVReef what type of corals are you planning on housing? Looking at the layout you have a lot of room for things on the floor such as trachys, lobos, acans, plates, scolys, chalice and encrusters but you will be limited by the vertical sides of your rockwork to only be able to use either the top or things you can affix to the sides of the structure such as smaller euphyllia colonies. Acros would have a hard time encrusting with the lower light at their bases to the sides of that.

OP
OP
LVReef

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely want Acros. I had hoped that they could be put on the top shelves and grow vertically.

Ultimately, this will be a mixed reef with SPS. I definitely like LPS, euphyllias, acans, scolys, etc. Never tried chalices but I'm open to it.

What would you change based on that?

gatohoser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely want Acros. I had hoped that they could be put on the top shelves and grow vertically.

Ultimately, this will be a mixed reef with SPS. I definitely like LPS, euphyllias, acans, scolys, etc. Never tried chalices but I'm open to it.

What would you change based on that?
Sorry I never saw this response until now. I would perhaps build out some branches to act as bases to attach acros to horizontally off your towers sides. You want them spaced out horizontally a bit so they can find 3d space to inhabit. As well as vertically for aesthetics IMO.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back