Lymph and fin rot?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my fish in quarantine due to an ich outbreak and all of them are doing fine showing no signs of ich after three weeks. I also purchased a copperband and finally after two weeks he’s eating everything but yesterday I noticed either fin rot or maybe him being nipped. My copperband is on a separate quarantine with only a mccoskers so I don’t think the mccoskers would bully him but to be safe I removed him yesterday and put him with my other fish. Should I use maracyn with cupramine just incase it is fin rot? Any advice would help and my yellow tang has also developed it looks like lymph around his whole body. I don’t know how cause I do 10% water changes everyday and make sure the water is clean @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

3BE418E4-04C4-4B2D-9DAE-7B6B8B57FC90.jpeg 2F902663-745B-4A40-98F0-61D5FDF95865.jpeg D770DA0A-746A-4376-9E80-72DAFE20BB29.jpeg AB6C88BB-3432-49C6-B814-580BE7318D59.jpeg 444D3C81-FC29-4A44-A0E7-92800897AA29.jpeg 8B6FB2BC-58EB-4B70-B6CC-63E99D3E3367.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m going to hope Jay chimes in. I’m not in favor of mixing antibiotics with copper based medication. The only exception for myself would be use if ruby rally pro which will counter bacteria and flukes as the tails show lymphocystis but body either mucus spots from previous ich or flukeswhich I doubt flukes
Water quality in a qt setting is generally not high standard due to basic filtration and I’d encourage you to both check water quality and offer good diet
Focus on ammonia- nitrate- ph, salinity
What test kits are you using ?
For diet:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
Mysis shrimp
Hikari marine cuisine

Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to hope Jay chimes in. I’m not in favor of mixing antibiotics with copper based medication. The only exception for myself would be use if ruby rally pro which will counter bacteria and flukes as the tails show lymphocystis but body either mucus spots from previous ich or flukeswhich I doubt flukes
Water quality in a qt setting is generally not high standard due to basic filtration and I’d encourage you to both check water quality and offer good diet
Focus on ammonia- nitrate- ph, salinity
What test kits are you using ?
For diet:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS fish frenzy
Mysis shrimp
Hikari marine cuisine

Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health
Thank you for the reply, I use salifert for ammonia and nitrite and it’s showing no ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate is less than two, what I’m unsure about is whether it’s lymph and fin rot or something else like flukes. I can use prazipro since I’m almost done with the copper treatment, but I don’t want to use so many medications that’s why I’m try to verify what this is. Do you think it’s lymph @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the reply, I use salifert for ammonia and nitrite and it’s showing no ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate is less than two, what I’m unsure about is whether it’s lymph and fin rot or something else like flukes. I can use prazipro since I’m almost done with the copper treatment, but I don’t want to use so many medications that’s why I’m try to verify what this is. Do you think it’s lymph @vetteguy53081
I think lymphocystis but to rule out flukes, simply give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip at same temp as display tank and then return to display tank .
Look at bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you see that- flukes
If not, lympho

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lymphocystis but to rule out flukes, simply give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip at same temp as display tank and then return to display tank .
Look at bottom of container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you see that- flukes
If not, lympho
Thank you, also what do you think about the copperbands one fin, what do you recommend?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the copperband fin in questions its right pelvic fin? That would be an unusual spot for another fish to attack it. It could be a bacterial issue, but as @vetteguy53081 said, mixing medications can be stressful. How fast did this develop, and does it seem stable now, or is it getting worse? The fish is also kind of thin, be sure to feed it well, multiple times a day.

Tough to see what is going on with the yellow tang. Could be Lymphocystis, Are most of the lesions along the edges of the fins, or do they extend onto the body? If just the fins, then likely Lymphocystis. Is the fish in copper? Tangs sometimes develop idiopathic mucus plugs, possibly as a reaction to copper. Never of these issues need treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All along the side of the body and fins of the tang @Jay Hemdal but for the copperband he eats everything and a lot but now not as much. I noticed this in the past two days, that’s why I moved him. Should I use furan 2 or maracyn just as a precautionary measure?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All along the side of the body and fins of the tang @Jay Hemdal but for the copperband he eats everything and a lot but now not as much. I noticed this in the past two days, that’s why I moved him. Should I use furan 2 or maracyn just as a precautionary measure?
Of the two, Furan 2 is more likely to work. I'm just not confident that the issue is purely bacterial....but I don't have any other solid suggestions.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the two, Furan 2 is more likely to work. I'm just not confident that the issue is purely bacterial....but I don't have any other solid suggestions.

Jay
Thank you. I’m worried that it might be fin rot, the mccoskers is the only one who was with him and I don’t think he nipped him at all. Also @Jay Hemdal doesnt maracyn do the same thing?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’m worried that it might be fin rot, the mccoskers is the only one who was with him and I don’t think he nipped him at all. Also @Jay Hemdal doesnt maracyn do the same thing?
Maracyn 1 is more suited for treating gram positive bacteria, those are often internal. You could try dosing Maracyn 1 and 2 (minocycline) to cover more possible bacteria.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn 1 is more suited for treating gram positive bacteria, those are often internal. You could try dosing Maracyn 1 and 2 (minocycline) to cover more possible bacteria.
Jay
I’ll use furan 2, thank you! Do you think furan 2 is harsh on the fish like copper is?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll use furan 2, thank you! Do you think furan 2 is harsh on the fish like copper is?
I’ve not seen any fish show sensitivity to furan, but any medication has the risk of side effects. Also remember that any antibiotic suggestion is only a “best guess” since a sensitivity test hasn’t been done.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not seen any fish show sensitivity to furan, but any medication has the risk of side effects. Also remember that any antibiotic suggestion is only a “best guess” since a sensitivity test hasn’t been done.
Jay
Again, thank you for helping me @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal. Should furan 2 help with redness too?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the redness is inflammation from a bacterial infection, yes.
Jay
@Jay Hemdal so all lymph went away when I put the yellow tang bs kk into the display. I finished the copper treatment but recently purchased a venustus and multibar angel. They were both eating well at the store and both from different stores. I put them in an observation tank (big mistake) and the venustus has either a bad case of ich or velvet which I have never experienced before. I think I should always treat them proactively instead of waiting. I used to treat proactively it thought it was harsh on the fish. What do you think this is?

Attachments

• F9ACC8BB-8CD0-468C-B27E-ECFF678107A5.jpeg
    F9ACC8BB-8CD0-468C-B27E-ECFF678107A5.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 35
  • BA573D85-AFD9-4B4B-9DC8-BC3F9829B64E.jpeg
    BA573D85-AFD9-4B4B-9DC8-BC3F9829B64E.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal so all lymph went away when I put the yellow tang bs kk into the display. I finished the copper treatment but recently purchased a venustus and multibar angel. They were both eating well at the store and both from different stores. I put them in an observation tank (big mistake) and the venustus has either a bad case of ich or velvet which I have never experienced before. I think I should always treat them proactively instead of waiting. I used to treat proactively it thought it was harsh on the fish. What do you think this is?
The spots are way too large to be velvet. They are almost too large to be ich, but then, they are relative to the size of the fish, and maybe it’s a small venustus?
I think it needs to get into coppersafe or copper power ASAP, are you set up to do that?
You can also try posting a short video, I can sometimes see additional clues that way.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post a video now but it is in cupramine, it was eating so well. It is a juvenile venustus so it’s pretty small.

Attachments

• IMG_4532.MOV
    7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post a video now but it is in cupramine, it was eating so well. It is a juvenile venustus so it’s pretty small.
The video helps - that is Ich.

I didn't realize they were already in Cupramine, that should be fine, just maintain a full dose. It can take 3 days before the spots begin to go away.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started to put cupramine in the tank when I saw this. Do you proactively treat or observe first?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started to put cupramine in the tank when I saw this. Do you proactively treat or observe first?
I always treat first. If you wait nail you see symptoms, you end up chasing the disease, and things can get out of hand before the meds start to work. Stopping a disease is always easier than curing one.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back