Lyretail Anthias Still Not Eating

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my male Lyretail under my frogspawn last Thursday night. I’ve had him and two females around 4 months. Color was gone and he wouldn’t eat, but didn’t see anything else that could be wrong. I put him in my 10 gallon hospital tank, but he still wouldn’t eat. I started Metroplex and Kanoplex.dosing according to the box (2 level scoops every 2 days), Friday night. Dosed again on Sunday night. I did a 20% water change Tuesday, and dosed again that night. Through all this I have tried LRF, soaked with Selcon and couple of drops of Kent garlic extreme and live brine shrimp and still won’t eat. Last night, there were two small white strings on the bottom of the tank beside him (poop)?and there was more of it this morning. The Seachem Ammonia Alert badge shows negative for ammonia. Other than his coloring being blotchy, I don’t see anything.

Thursday night
C72C6AAC-9DD6-4A0D-BE90-20C44521E153.jpeg

EC73CBD8-CD9E-431B-84F4-673AB76995BD.jpeg

‘last night (for some reason, when I upload this photo, it’s turned sideways). The right side of the pic is his reflection.
AB3BEE97-7DCC-42A6-AF6D-5CDA25E4B0A5.jpeg

Any suggestions? What else should I try?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be flukes or internal parasites. Both can cause loss of color, not eating, and lethargy. Metro will kill some of the internal parasites, but not all of them. Praziquantel would take care of the other parasites that metro didn't, and it would also treat flukes. I'd consider dosing prazipro. Make sure to increase O2 by the use of a powerhead aimed up at the surface actively rippling the water at the surface.

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I stop the metroplex & kanaplex? Do a partial or complete water change before starting Prazi? How much longer do you think he can go without eating?
Im using a Hyra Bio-sponge filter. Lots of air bubbles breaking the surface. Do i need a powerhead too?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to make sure I don’t mess this up. Do I need to do a water change before adding the Prazi?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to make sure I don’t mess this up. Do I need to do a water change before adding the Prazi?
Prazipro and metro can be in the water together. The second dose of prazi will require a water change before hand. And you may need water changes in between if ammonia level rises.
Live baby brine shrimp are usually great at getting plankton eaters like anthias to start eating.

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Tried the baby brine, but I’m getting some more. I’d feel better if he would eat just a little. He hasn’t eaten since last Friday. How long can they go? . He was definitely the piggy in the tank.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard people have great success with live white worms or black worms. The size of the worm and movement should be enough to entice your fish to at least be interested in taking a bite.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a place for him to hide?
They are a really skittish fish and need lots of places to hide and feel secure. Once they feel secure they will eat.. I just in the pictures see no where for him to hide.
Most anthias are that way..

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a place for him to hide?
They are a really skittish fish and need lots of places to hide and feel secure. Once they feel secure they will eat.. I just in the pictures see no where for him to hide.
Most anthias are that way..
I have a 3 way piece of pvc..
image.jpg

He won’t go in it, hides underneath it. I’m going to pull a piece of rock from the main tank. I know I’ll have to throw it away, but rather have him comfortable

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard people have great success with live white worms or black worms. The size of the worm and movement should be enough to entice your fish to at least be interested in taking a bite.
Just have to find someone that has them:confused:

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started Prazipro today. I’d feel so much better if I could get him to eat. Any chance he’ll eat while in Praz?

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update. The good news is he made it! The bad news is by the time he did, one of my females transitioned to male, so I brought him back to my LFS where he is still doing well great! The transitioned female and my other female started have white stringy poop. I treated the tank with Prazi and they seem to be fine now. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back