Machadoporites, Poritipora, Calathiscus – What IS This Coral?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a curious little coral that we’ve been on the lookout for ever since first learning about it in the 2001 release of Charles Veron’s seminal Corals of the World. You most likely already know about Porites and the closely related Goniopora but Poritipora, which sounds like a portmanteau of the two previous genera, is a closely […]
Source

Continue reading...

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is the coral I have here,from Eye Catching Coral.It has a bright blue base with yellow polyps.
DSC_7583.JPG

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like blue sympodium
Looks like you could be correct, thanks I have been trying to figure out what this frag is for a while,it's tiny and the polyps are so small I couldn't tell even with the flipper magnifier.
It came in unidentified to my LFS but it did come from eye Catching coral and they have a blue sympodium listed.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you could be correct, thanks I have been trying to figure out what this frag is for a while,it's tiny and the polyps are so small I couldn't tell even with the flipper magnifier.
It came in unidentified to my LFS but it did come from eye Catching coral and they have a blue sympodium listed.
seems to be an uncommon coral. i have had a chunk for over a year and its a pretty slow grower... will try to send a pic tomorrow. your samples polyps are a little closed up which makes it a little harder to id, but i'm fairly certain that's what it is.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back