Mack’s Reef dino support group

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one media reactor ...and I run rowaphos in that
If you have a sump, you can put some in a bag in the sump. Or put some in your media reactor with Rowaphos. Just throwing out ideas. Amphidinium is not supposed to be very toxic, but mine was. Using GAC kept my animals alive until dinos subsided. FWIW I think you are on your way with removing sand and si dosing.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when your sand bed is out .......easy rearrange your aqua scape.!!
20190218_152857.jpg

20190218_152907.jpg

20190218_152940.jpg

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's done me a world of good today changing the scape ...granted it's not changed much but I've evened everything out so it doesn't look so desolate too me anymore ...definitely got diatoms now so not going too increase the silicate dosing ...( ordered 2 more now just incase)..I'm dosing silicates when the lights come on ..my thinking is diatoms will use it up then and if I dose at night I think my sponges will use it more ...not sure if that's true...anyway things are on the up at the moment ...thanks too R2R ...what a wealth of experience and knowledge and friends ..

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump, you can put some in a bag in the sump. Or put some in your media reactor with Rowaphos. Just throwing out ideas. Amphidinium is not supposed to be very toxic, but mine was. Using GAC kept my animals alive until dinos subsided. FWIW I think you are on your way with removing sand and si dosing.
Ordered some rowacarb to put in my reactor

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when your sand bed is out .......easy rearrange your aqua scape.!!
20190218_152857.jpg

20190218_152907.jpg

20190218_152940.jpg
Sounds like things are getting better Jason, and the tanks looking good

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update time ...
Been dosing silicate solution now for 4 days ...seen a big improvement ...got enough left for 2 more days ..waiting on more coming now ..bought a saliferts si test kit ...but doesn't seem too work ....0.03 even after dosing ...so looks like I need a hanna si checker now ...
Still dosing phytoplankton...
I'm starting to see algae growing on my zoas and they are not opening up much anymore ...my rocks are looking more green ..not so much red anymore
Going too get more copepods tomorrow ..
Still no new UV light yet ..
Overall things are better...but not out of the woods yet ...
Glad I worked on my scape though ..
No plans of putting my new sand back in yet ...maybe wait another week or so ...

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seneye reef on my tank ..i use it to monitor my ph ,temp and ammonia..I was wondering just how accurate or reliable they are with their slides ...slides last 1 month !
I know there are many factors which affect ph,and I do have a DIY Co2 scrubber on my skimmer...but I wonder if the slides get less accurate towards the end of the month ..

Screenshot_20190224-115353_Samsung Internet.jpg

This shows my ph as of today ...yesterday it peaked at 8.26 ...the highest its been yet ..
But this is a new slide that I replaced 2 days ago ..

Screenshot_20190224-115521_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here you can see when the slide was changed ...
Screenshot_20190224-115550_Samsung Internet.jpg

And here you can see the low readings from the last week of the old slide...

Screenshot_20190224-115620_Samsung Internet.jpg

(Ignore the red markers ..they were out of water alerts due too water changes...)
I noticed the same pattern last month too ...
I know its probably not that accurate as i hope and that it should be used as an indication rather than the gospel...but can I trust it at all ...is it worth the 7.50 a month for the slides then ...without the slides I can still monitor temp and have a par meter ...
Well I'm going too monitor the situation see what happens at the end of this slide ...
Anybody else any experience with seneye reef ....I'd love too hear it ..!!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been considering the seneye myself but having to buy the slides monthly seems like a real pain, it will be interesting to see what others have to say.

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been considering the seneye myself but having to buy the slides monthly seems like a real pain, it will be interesting to see what others have to say.
All in all ...I like it ...even if it's just for the par meter , and leak detection and temp ..the slides come in packs of 3 cost 25euros ..I will eventually set my apex classic up ..but still need too buy probes for it yet ...

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been trying too reduce my nitrates ...so for the last 5 days I've been dosing ez carbon from DRS ...just got it hooked up on my doser ..upto now I've just been adding it with a syringe in my sump ..but the dosing is getting bigger and bigger ..and rather than do it all at one time each time , I figured since it's made too be dosed on a doser then I can better fo it 24 times a day ..I've left my po4 quite high in the hope that I won't have too dose po4 as that usually gets stripped faster ...
Just ordered some 1 micron filter socks of Ebay...but probably won't be here for a while ...still no UV light ..according too tracking it's still in a warehouse in China..!!!
Still adding phytoplankton and copepods..100ml bag per day ..trying to get some rottifellers too ..
Reserved a very nice
Ctenochaetus Tominiensis (M)

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ivd been using the dsr carbon on my tank each day increasing the dose as per instructions .after the 5th day my water started too cloud up ...I thought it might be an algae bloom ...last night I decreased the dosing ...today water is still cloudy ...not sure the dinos are gone but I'm getting algae growing everywhere now and still a lot of diatoms ...still dosing phytoplankton and copepods every...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back