Macnaxx

MACNAXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MACNA XX September 5-7, 2008 in Atlanta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are excited about this year's MACNA conference. We already have Pre-registered and paid as many as most of the total attendance of the first 15 or so MACNAs, so it should be huge. Combine that with a great hotel, great speakers, cheap flights, and the Georgia Aquarium and we have everything to try to get you guys to have a good time while in Atlanta.

The hotel is great, and the room night of $119 can't be beat, it usually is in the $250-300 range. We were able to negotiate pretty well, but rooms are going fast.

There is a lot to do in Atlanta if people come early or bring significant others - CNN, Olympic Park, the Georgia Aquarium, the Children's museum, the world of Coke, and Hooters (hey, I know my audience) is within a 5 minute walk, and MARTA goes from inside the airport to the hotel for $1.75 - so no cab charges. The same MARTA can take you to the Braves, shopping centers, etc. We are also getting together a kids program (popcorn and movies in the hotel) to allow parents to go to the banquet and speakers. We will offer that at cost.

Oh, and the banquet is food by Wolfgang Puck. No open bar like Pittsburgh, but good food inside a great banquet hall inside the largest aquarium in the world with two windows - one toward the largest indoor aquatic exhibit in the world (over 6 million gallons - the size of a football field) that includes four whale sharks and the other one toward the four beluga whales.

Please use this thread to ask questions and I will try to check in to answer them. You can also check out our website. If your administrator could make this a sticky and put up a banner from our website www.macnaxx.com that would help alot.

So who is going and how can I help?

Steve

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going. I tried to book my room but it says on the website that you are working on a bigger block of rooms for the 4th. I was planning on coming in on the 3rd.

When do you expect to know if you will have a bigger block of rooms for the 4th and how will we find out when they are available?

Thanks,

Sandy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait and thanks for the info. I will be attending! :D

OP
OP
M

MACNAXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We negotiated for more rooms last Friday - you should be able to get them now. If you have any problems, please re-post and I will take care of it.

The rooms ARE selling out fast. We have already sold out basically the number of room nights they had a Pittsburgh last year, and we are 10 months out. We got as many rooms as possible, but eventually we will probably run out again.

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mods...any chance of putting a sticky on this? Conference is still 10 months off.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
M

MACNAXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macna Update....
A MACNA teaser - our main banquet speaker....

Joanne Ruxton

Behind the Scenes as a Underwater Wildlife Producer for the BBC

Prior projects include:

Blue Planet
Deep Blue
Death on the Reef
Deep Trouble
Live from the Abyss
Under the Skin - Antarctica
Under the Skin - Penguins
Smart Sharks
Shark Roulette
Shark Coast
Dive to Shark Volcano
Wild Caribbean
Pacific Abyss

OP
OP
M

MACNAXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the last chance to get the $109 price for MACNA 2008! The price for the conference is only $109 for all three days including the banquet and trade show, but will go up to $129 after December 31st, 2007.
Other Confirmed MACNA speakers:
Dr. Bruce Carlson
Dr. Sylvia Earle
Eric Borneman
Anthony Calfo
Dr. Alex Brylske
Dr. Kimberly Cobb
Michael Cottman
Jake Adams
Dr. Al Dove
Ray Davis
James Fatherree
Cathy Sakas
Larry Jackson
Marj Awai
Jim Walters
Dr. Rob Toonen
Scott Fellman
Robert Fenner
Phillip Root
Stephen Pro
Christine Williams
Matthew Wittenrich
Kelly Jedlicki
Charles Delbeck (will confirm in April due to potential schedule conflicts)
More speakers will be confirmed soon.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome can't wait!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which hotel is $119? is it in downtown?

FWIW.....i went there for a bowl game last year and stayed in Buckhead........MUCH cheaper hotels......super easy to take the MARTA into Atlanta.....takes like 5min. saved me a fortune, not to mention lack of a headache trying to drive in Atlanta.

OP
OP
M

MACNAXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Westin Downtown. The usual rates are $250-300 for these rooms.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on getting more rooms?? I tried to book my room last night and they were out of rooms. I hope you guys can get more. Please let us know when you find out any more info on this.

Thank you

OP
OP
M

MACNAXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have renegotiated 4 times - and are WAY above the amount we anticipated. We are again renogiating all the rooms we can get.

Contact Kevin at [email protected] and he will get you rooms. We still have some, but not for every night, so we have to juggle a bit.

Steve

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on getting more rooms?? I tried to book my room last night and they were out of rooms. I hope you guys can get more. Please let us know when you find out any more info on this.

Thank you

just get a place in Buckhead and take the MARTA into the city. its super easy to do, and will save you lots of money and time.

OP
OP
M

MACNAXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the ideas, but I do not think it will save too much money, and we are getting more rooms. We also will be having an overflow hotel nearby.

Buckhead has changed dramatically in the past 6 months with massive new construction - it might not be what you remember..

Steve

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Steve. I am from Atlanta originally and you are right - Buckhead has changed!! I would like to stay in the hotel the event is being held - it's just more convenient that way. Plus the Westin is VERY NICE!! Thanks for the e-mail link -- I will contact him today.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back