Macro algae ID please...

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my refugium up a running yesterday.... I ended up getting these pieces of macro through a buddy at a local fish store. I need a hook up on an ID on these... Just want to make sure it isn't the bad stuff... Thanks in advance
yhe6e4eq.jpg

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge has a led bulb on it.... Hard to get a good pic...The big stuff in the back is red, the leafy stuff in front is a purple/red and there is a couple of green leafy strands in the front.... Hope that helps

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you click on the picture it will enlarge.... Tapatalk is making all the pictures small like that

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the image is too saturated to be able to see the texture and growth pattern of the algae, let alone the color (it's difficult under led, particularly with a lot of red diodes).. do you have a cfl you can swap in just for the sake of a better picture?

also, not to derail the id thread, but I'm assuming you're using a led par grow bulb? how do you like it? I've been considering ordering one but they're so bloody expensive when a cheapo cfl can get the job done..

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get a better pic when I get home... The bulb is nice.... Looks like LEDs in the DT... I really like the color. It is a full spectrum LED bulb that I picked up from Tuna_bullet. It has red, green, blue and white diodes

Last edited:
OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a little bit better picture... Hope this helps... Still saturated but closer up so you can see the growth pattern.... I think the bright red stuff in the back is codium but i am curious what the purple/ red leafy stuff is in the front and the long green leafy looking one is.
saqymema.jpg

Last edited:

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not able to see enough detail to tell. Far too many red algae of similar growth patterns to guess from that pic unfortunately. Codium is green though, not red.

Can you take a piece of the algaes out of the tank and take a pic in normal light? That way the camera won't be screwed up by the LED's spectrum.

OP
OP
duke4130

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not able to see enough detail to tell. Far too many red algae of similar growth patterns to guess from that pic unfortunately. Codium is green though, not red.

Can you take a piece of the algaes out of the tank and take a pic in normal light? That way the camera won't be screwed up by the LED's spectrum.

Will do when I get home

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back